People Who Make Home Made Pads.

Davetrials

I used to only injection mould my plastic backings, but now i am starting to injection mould the rubber pad, will post some pics when are totally finished.

Here's what i do:

Heat rubber granules in kiln for 4 hours @ 90 degrees, to release mositure which the rubber absorbs, which can effect mould quality as when heated it starts to bubble as mositre evaoprates.

Switch on injection moulder, let it warm up for 15 mins. Then purge the moulder to remove any old rubber from moulder and flush it though with new dry plastic.

Fill hopper with dry rubber. Insert rubber pad mould into moulder, tighten. And press go.

Every 30 seconds roughly. The mould will be released, extract pad from mould using extraction pins to push it out of mould, close mould up and repeat the process over and over again. :P

Once pad has been moulded, let it cure and reabosorb moisture.

Then put backing into glueing jig, fill with glue, put pad on top and clamp down. Then leave to dry, and again repeat the process thousands of times.

The whole process gets very boring after a while, espeicailly when you have done it a couple of thousand times. (Y)

I hope some people will find this interesting. :)

Edited by wally

I used to only injection mould my plastic backings, but now i am starting to injection mould the rubber pad, will post some pics when are totally finished.

Here's what i do:

Heat rubber granules in kiln for 4 hours @ 90 degrees, to release mositure which the rubber absorbs, which can effect mould quality as when heated it starts to bubble as mositre evaoprates.

Switch on injection moulder, let it warm up for 15 mins. Then purge the moulder to remove any old rubber from moulder and flush it though with new dry plastic.

Fill hopper with dry rubber. Insert rubber pad mould into moulder, tighten. And press go.

Every 30 seconds roughly. The mould will be released, extract pad from mould using extraction pins to push it out of mould, close mould up and repeat the process over and over again.  (Y)

Then put backing into glueing jig, fill with glue, put pad on top and clamp down. Then leave to dry, and again repeat the process thousands of times.

The whole process gets very boring after a while, espeicailly when you have done it a couple of thousand times.  :)

I hope some people will find this interesting.  :P

cant you just use Pritstick?

(Y)

Edited by RyanRs

Blu tac?

Hmmm....nah (Y)

Your best bet is to cut out the pad material in shape of the Magura or PowerPad backing, for a better, more secure fit.

Then let losse with No More Nails or the equivilant. If your unsure about it staying in place, then put a few stples in the side of it, well close to the backing :angry:

Here's what i do:

Every 30 seconds roughly. The mould will be released, extract pad from mould using extraction pins to push it out of mould, close mould up and repeat the process over and over again.  :o

The whole process gets very boring after a while, espeicailly when you have done it a couple of thousand times.  :angry:

I hope some people will find this interesting.  (Y)

Because i'm sure he has an injention mould sitting around in the garage.

i would say , fill the inside of the backing with arodhite adhesive, and then get 2 small flat top/counter sunk screws and screw them through the back of the backing and into the pad. obviously dont overtighten the screws cos it will start riping the pad material away (like x-threadding stylee).

Then leave in a vice overnite. My mate used this technique to fix 2 backings to one pad, basically to give the pad more reach, as he had a Koxx frame and a mavic rim and needed a Wide rim (but couldnt be botherd to get one) . the pad idea worked perfecto.

superglue anyone?

oops..

Two flat surfaces then use superglue.

Yep. Always make sure there's some old pad left in the backing, because the new pad needs to stick to something. And have the 2 surfaces as flat as possible. Common sense.

Rossi.

me and my mate used this bonding glue where you had 2 little seringes full of diffrent stuff, then you had to mix them together and oh my god they stuck!! intill i done a stoppie and face planted into my girlfriend (Y)" (Y)"

Cause the pads just shot apart!

Danny, iv just watched you "avitar" and its soooo funny!!! lol

Edited by terror-error