Networt Drive

shaggy

Yeah sorry about that. It's an old pc my sis has given me for someone. Wanted to install a fresh copy of xp. As her boyfriend has tried to put win98 on there but lost the cd key for it, so it boots up asking for the cd key. So thought easiest thing i could do is just format it and stick xp on. But when i try and format from the cd it wont let me so i put in a boot disk and tried in dos. All i keep getting is can not format c: network drive... Not got a clue what this means or how to format it any help would be great

cheers James

you will need to re-order the devices from which the computer boots, so it boots from the cd first, then the hard drive.  This should allow you to run the win xp setup program including the partition and format tools.

Tried that and i still keep getting can not format a network drive

errm not exactly sure on this one but go to my computer, right click your c drive, go to sharing at the top and make sure its not shared. That may help ?

Have you tried (without any discs) going into command prompt and type in:

format c:

it should then come up saying do you want to format c: blah blah, hit the Y button and it should start going, SHOULD said loosely.

alternatively go to start>run> type in: "convert c:fs ntfs" a small DOS window should pop up and disappear again, this should convert the drive to ntfs so if its been set up for something different that may well help.

hope it helped, stu (Y)

Edited by The enchanted broomstick

errm not exactly sure on this one but go to my computer, right click your c drive, go to sharing at the top and make sure its not shared. That may help ?

Have you tried (without any discs) going into command prompt and type in:

format c:

it should then come up saying do you want to format c: blah blah, hit the Y button and it should start going, SHOULD said loosely.

alternatively go to start>run> type in: "convert c:fs ntfs" a small DOS window should pop up and disappear again, this should convert the drive to ntfs so if its been set up for something different that may well help.

hope it helped, stu :)

:P he cant get onto windows

try puting th cd in and when it comes up with format network drive type in d:setup (d: being your cd drive or wheat ever letter it is