Build Me A Pc - I Know Nothing

Mr Motivator

I've got a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers all sat in my garage. I just need a decent PC bit.

I just need to work out prices etc. I know about ebuyer so dont just give me a link to ebuyer.com as I dont know where to start.

I want the cheapest set up possible (well, things like cheapest pc case etc) and for example when I was looking for a firewire card once I found a £30 belkin and a £8 other one so you know what I mean.

So what do I need?

Im maily going to be using it for web browsing, college work eg word processing and auto cad etc, photoshop, little bit of video editing, umm well stuff like that really but not games cause they gay.

At the moment im using a laptop with an AMD athlon proccessor which I hear it pretty good (dunno) but its only got 9gig of memory and its all just a little slow and Im after something more powerfull etc.

Oh yeah, il also need XP on it, so I guess il have to buy that and programs like word, excel, powerpoint but I do have an old '98 office cd, meh.

So yeah, if any of you PC geniouses could help me out id love it.

edit: I basically want the cheapest/powerfull pc i can get.

Reckon it could be built within the £200-250 mark?

Sam

Edited by Sam@SouthTrials

If you like a nice fast computer, That you won't play games on you should look for something with about 512mb+ of ram and only about 60-80gb or memory because if your not going to be playing games you won't need amzing memory :blink:

If you like a nice fast computer, That you won't play games on you should look for something with about 512mb+ of ram and only about 60-80gb or memory because if your not going to be playing games you won't need amzing memory  :blink:

Yeah, well Il be saving alot of vids, about 5000 pics and quite a few programs. hmm.

Sam

Just checking out Dell;

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products...imen&l=en&s=dhs

What about the 2nd one?

My dad has a 2grand Dell and thats immense but meh.

Sam

Let me put it this way, thats still almost double the speed of mine. With the way i use mine, anyone would think its a top of the line duel xeon. For instance, at this moment i have Winamp, mIRC (x2), SmartFTP, Word, Windows Explorer (x2), MSN Messenger and 10 chat windows, Firefox (x2). Then in the background i have spysweeper, firewall, and antivirus. I'm using 50% of my CPU, and then around 80% RAM.

To cut a long story short, its not always a slow CPU that slows a PC down. :blink:

That second one will do you just fine. :)

:blink: That's not really alot running, I've had WoW (in a que for the PvP place) and CS Source running and Win Amp. Now that's alot, then it crashed :)

I know its not a lot, but its a lot for my spec, that was the point i was trying to get at, and that its not always CPU power that is needed. Willy. :P

Thing is, i then open Dreamweaver, Photoshop, then try and edit a video in Premier. Thats when you relise your PC isn't a duel xeon. :P

By the way, have you tried fridayad? Sometimes there is some good deals going there. Or even, a computer fair. :S

Id have to have a silly little modem flopping about. At least with a desktop I can put it on the table next to it.

Why don't you get the broadband connection, buy a £25 wireless router and then if you don't already have it on your laptop, buy a £15 PCMCIA wireless card and fit that, giving you the ability to use the internet anywhere in your house....

Why don't you get the broadband connection, buy a £25 wireless router and then if you don't already have it on your laptop, buy a £15 PCMCIA wireless card and fit that, giving you the ability to use the internet anywhere in your house....

Yeah but I still need a new computer lols

I know its not a lot, but its a lot for my spec, that was the point i was trying to get at, and that its not always CPU power that is needed. Willy. :)

Thing is, i then open Dreamweaver, Photoshop, then try and edit a video in Premier. Thats when you relise your PC isn't a duel xeon. :blink:

By the way, have you tried fridayad? Sometimes there is some good deals going there. Or even, a computer fair. :P

I have run .... Adobe audition, ModPlug tracker, Photoshop, MSN, SoundForge, AfterEffects and all at the same time while installing premier. On Windows XP pro ...The competer ... A Pentium 2 200mhz mmx. 64mb ram, 12gb HDD, 256k cache! the motherboards max CPU is a 166mhz pentium , socket 7, but ive overclocked it to run the 200mmx ...the 200mmx is actually a 220mhz, but the motherboard wont recognise over 200.

-now thats a lot runing on a pile of shite. and it worked!

Well I usualy have open Firefox, MSN and one other program such as Paintshop or photoshop.

Anyway enough bitching of what are computers can do..

matt_pashley has email someone regarding building a pc for me, but id still like to keep my options open..

Id like a list of everything I need from switches to harddrives.

I'm aiming to buy all from ebuyer btw.

So I'll start;

Case - http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=86647 - £21.14

That comes with;

* Dimensions:450mm(L)192mm(W)445mm(H)

* USB/Audio(front located)

* Drive Bays:3 x 5.25"(exposed)1 x 3.5"(exposed)6 x 3.5"(hidden)

* 350w power supply(no power cord)installed

* Thumbscrews for easy access

Ok, next?

Sam