Speeding Up My Computer

Siders77

Then hit settings and reduce the disk space used to say around 50Mb.

What effect does this have?

When adjusting virtual memory should i only adjust the current value to something under the max value? And is it better to use the driver which windows is on or my music/video hard drive for the virtual mem?

Edited by JTM

Thing is, Laptops are clever and they adjust their speed depending on their temperature (Ie if the fans are working) and the power and stuff like that.  But normal PCs don't do that, so cleaning out the fans won't speed it up.  It might stop it crashing though!

But anyway, it's never a bad idea to give something like that a good clean!

How do i clean out me fans :-

Just wipe the dust off. (N) Unless you mean in a Laptop, then I dunno ^_^

JTM- I've got my Virtual Memory set to 512MB On both of the boxes. I made a topic on it a while ago. I'll try find it for you :'(

EDIT: I dunno if it's what you want but here's the topic I made about it :- Windows Virtual Memory.

Edited by Siders77

Just wipe the dust off. (N) Unless you mean in a Laptop, then I dunno ^_^

JTM- I've got my Virtual Memory set to 512MB On both of the boxes. I made a topic on it a while ago. I'll try find it for you :'(

EDIT: I dunno if it's what you want but here's the topic I made about it :- Windows Virtual Memory.

Yup t'is a laptop, guess i'll have to get one of those co2 spray thingys

What effect does this have?

When adjusting virtual memory should i only adjust the current value to something under the max value? And is it better to use the driver which windows is on or my music/video hard drive for the virtual mem?

the temp internet files get distributed all over your hard drive as you use the web meaning that when they finally get erased your HD becomes very fragmented due to the loads of small amounts of data for larger files spread out everywhere.

I would set both the max and min vals to the same (i still recommend 1GB, thats what i have my comp running and i have a gig of RAM anyway), then you loose that disk space straight off, so when you get low on space performance doesnt take as much of a hit due to the downwards adjustment of the virtual memory.

In terms of memory, unless you plan on overclocking or upgrading the CPU soon, i would go for whatever is cheaper, make sure you get RAM with a CAS time of 2.5 or lower though else your other stick of ram will match the slower timings of the new one, the timings are important for AMD based systems so the lower the CAS the better. Also your RAM seems to be running at wierd timings as it is, which may be leading to slow performance, the RAS to CAS Delay and the RAS Precharge should both be set to the same value, namely 3 for your RAM. You may need to go into your BIOS to sort that out. Is your system a pre-built one? or did you do it yourself?

That OCZ premier with heatspreader is the RAM i am running very sucessfully in my pretty highly overclocked system, although i am only running the RAM at 210Mhz (DDR420) is is still on the stock timings and is running fine, i have had it up to 220Mhz (DDR440) on stock timings when run in single channel (mobo wouldnt do dual channel at that speed :- (i think the northbridge needs better cooling). Unless you are going to overclock i wouldn't bother with the heatspreader as the RAM is guarenteed to run at the stock timings at stock speeds. OCZ is a good brand, their RAM is reliable and has a lifetime warranty so you cant really go wrong.

Sorry for the information replication in my first post i wrote it then went and had dinner before finishing it off ^_^

Right, Monkey stop talking about stuff you don't really know.  His RAM is running at 166 MHz, because that's the speed of his FSB.  I.e. you can't change it (without overclocking blah blah).  However, being DDR (Double Data Rate), it's actually running at 333MHz (DDR333), which is PC2700.  So basically, there's no point getting ram that is better than PC2700 (Unless you're running an Athlon64 setup?).  It won't run any faster.  Having said that, PC3200 is often just as cheap as PC2700 anyway, so you might as well just get that (PC3200 is backwards compatible down to PC2700).  You might as well just get the cheap stuff, save a few quid.  I don't think you need the "premier" stuff really.  OCZ is a pretty reputable make, so any will definitely work.  And the more expensive of the two you posted just has a heatspreader, which does bugger all.  So I wouldn't get that.  Just don't get ebuyer super value ram ^_^

EDIT:  And yeah, you should be able to run them both together with no problems.

At least I gave a speedy response :- :"> :'(

sorry i sneakily went back and edited my post having re-read yours ^_^

good ol SM being able to secretly edit stuff :-

Siders, what motherboard are you running? as it might be worth selling your current RAM and getting a pair of the OCZ stuff to run in dual channel if it is capable of doing it, then you would get a pretty big increase in RAM bandwidth and hense performance in some programs.

Also it would still be helpful to do the whole msconfig thing i said about earlier as well as a couple of defrags to get your pc running as fast as poss, also if you want me to help you sort out your RAM timings give me a shout on msn (andrewhill101@hotmail.com).

Yup t'is a laptop, guess i'll have to get one of those co2 spray thingys

Depends upon what make of laptop i expect but my dell has marked out covers which you unscrew and you can lift out the whole of the fan. Just take a look for any openings where a fan is and try and unscrew a cover.. should do the trick.

i speeded mine up by putting all my songs into diffrent files.

Like if you have allll your songs in 1 big file, make little ones with the name of the artist then put it in them seperatly, suomhow made my pc faster lol

Oh and completely re-format your pc, you will see the driffrence!!

Has anyone recommended checking for spyware and viruses? This site will take you through everything you need to do, to speed it up if you do have a load of ad ware and bollocks on your comp. Has a couple tips on optimizing your computer as well.

Otherwise try following some of these tips. Some of them are quite advanced and I guess the benchmarking isn't really needed!

sorry i sneakily went back and edited my post having re-read yours :P

good ol SM being able to secretly edit stuff (Y)

Siders, what motherboard are you running? as it might be worth selling your current RAM and getting a pair of the OCZ stuff to run in dual channel if it is capable of doing it, then you would get a pretty big increase in RAM bandwidth and hense performance in some programs.

Also it would still be helpful to do the whole msconfig thing i said about earlier as well as a couple of defrags to get your pc running as fast as poss, also if you want me to help you sort out your RAM timings give me a shout on msn (andrewhill101@hotmail.com).

Oh right cheers. I'll add you when I get back home. :D

I'll probably ask you loads of questions! :"> :P

Guys,

Give your comp a trip of its life-time

Go here, sign up, run one of the full tests, it will give you some recommendations on what to do to improve performance, and if you want you can give us lot a link to your results and we can have a look and give some recommendations.

For example, my test results

(Y)

James

EDIT: also visit the forums, u have to sign up separately for them btw

Edited by cookie456_the2nd