Speeding Up My Computer

Siders77

Hey. Well, at the moment my computer is fairly slow. I have an 80 Gig HDD and I have about 50 Gig left. It says I have 192Mb of RAM but i'm not that sure if it's right.

Anyway, I wanna speed up my computer. What options do I have other than deleting loads of files and stuff.....

Cheers :-

Have you tried formatting it? Have you got a lot of Videos/Pics/Songs etc....on your hard drive? If so, delete a few.... :-

I have lots of all of them ^_^ That whats killed my puter? I've fiddled with that virtual memory lark as well put 600mb on each hard drive, Not really sure what i'm doing though lol That going to break it?

Pete

Although this applies for my laptop, ages ago i posted about my laptop running super slow. It was getting worse and worse as the weeks went on. I defraged, deleted, formated did everything under the sun i could think of. For a comparison CS:S was runnin at 80fps when i first started playing.. it went down to 10fps and was unplayable with everything turned to low and some console command tweaking.

Then i decided suddenly one day to give the fans a good clean out and wholey shit.. the fans were caked in bloody dust im suprised they could still spin, also all the air vents were clogged up.

After the clean out my fps on CS:S went up to 120.. and my laptop now runs silent instead of sounding like its gonna explode.

I dont know how relevant this will be for your pc but i was in the same boat a few months back and it seems the easiest of things you always miss out.

Although this applies for my laptop, ages ago i posted about my laptop running super slow. It was getting worse and worse as the weeks went on. I defraged, deleted, formated did everything under the sun i could think of. For a comparison CS:S was runnin at 80fps when i first started playing.. it went down to 10fps and was unplayable with everything turned to low and some console command tweaking.

Then i decided suddenly one day to give the fans a good clean out and wholey shit.. the fans were caked in bloody dust im suprised they could still spin, also all the air vents were clogged up.

After the clean out my fps on CS:S went up to 120.. and my laptop now runs silent instead of sounding like its gonna explode.

I dont know how relevant this will be for your pc but i was in the same boat a few months back and it seems the easiest of things you always miss out.

How do i go about cleaning them out? Do i have to open the case or what?

If he don't have alot of case fans this could be the problem, but if he has alot it won't be as much of a problem ^_^ But do it anyway :-

Can you not read Trials Boy?? I said I don't want to delete any files!
Yeah, it won't make any difference anyway, not if you've got 50Gb free space.

Tomm, I'm really not sure if my computer has DDR RAM, is there any way of finding out?

Erm, do you know what motherboard you're running?

If not, download THIS and have a look :-

Right, Monkey stop talking about stuff you don't really know. His RAM is running at 166 MHz, because that's the speed of his FSB. I.e. you can't change it (without overclocking blah blah). However, being DDR (Double Data Rate), it's actually running at 333MHz (DDR333), which is PC2700. So basically, there's no point getting ram that is better than PC2700 (Unless you're running an Athlon64 setup?). It won't run any faster. Having said that, PC3200 is often just as cheap as PC2700 anyway, so you might as well just get that (PC3200 is backwards compatible down to PC2700). You might as well just get the cheap stuff, save a few quid. I don't think you need the "premier" stuff really. OCZ is a pretty reputable make, so any will definitely work. And the more expensive of the two you posted just has a heatspreader, which does bugger all. So I wouldn't get that. Just don't get ebuyer super value ram :-

EDIT: And yeah, you should be able to run them both together with no problems.

always a good idea to clean dust from the fans and heatsinks in your pc, especially if like mine its located on the floor.

Increase your virtual memory to a permenant 1Gb, theres no reason not to if you have the spare space.

Defrag your hard drive to get all the files grouped together, i suggest you do this a few times to ensure you get it fully sorted.

Download CPU-Z from here and take screenshots of the CPU, Memory and the SPD page (for each of the filled RAM slots), and i should be able to identify what RAM should be compatible with your system.

Check the number of tasks you have running, lots of programs like realplayer and quicktime have componants that are permenantly running (unless you stop them) which enable them to start up faster should you use that program, however these also use up small amounts of system resources which can add up. Click start, then run, type msconfig click on the startup tab, then look through the list of things that are there, uncheck any like realsched and qttask, check the location of the files, if any of them are located in the program files section and are not things like firewalls or virus checkers, then uncheck them. When you click ok you will get a warning, hit ok, then reboot. On boot up you will get a message, check the don't show me this again thing and hit ok. You should have less shit running when your computer boots up helping increase performance.

Clean your temporary internet files and reduce the amount stored by windows. Open internet explorer, hit tools, internet options, in the temporary internet files section hit delete files (this may take a while so don't worry). Then hit settings and reduce the disk space used to say around 50Mb.

Just done all of that. Thanks Tank_Rider!

I'll still get that RAM when I have some money ^_^

Oh. My fans were all covered in dust and stuff so they're all clean now! :'( :-

EDIT: Here are the screenshots....

Memory.jpg

SPD.jpg

CPU.jpg

(N)

Edited by Siders77

Thing is, Laptops are clever and they adjust their speed depending on their temperature (Ie if the fans are working) and the power and stuff like that. But normal PCs don't do that, so cleaning out the fans won't speed it up. It might stop it crashing though!

But anyway, it's never a bad idea to give something like that a good clean!