Rim Coating Options

Will Arnold

Heatsinks and a mod rim then.

The new Heatsinks absolutely rule.

yer, i have some, they start off extremely good, so good that you cannot get it to slip haha :'(

but then, because i ride in dusty conditions sometimes, it goes crappy :-

so im looking for an alterantive ^_^

i've put a very thin coat of araldite onto a dead grind...this morning.

I'll let you know what it's like....i reckon it'll be quite good- dried araldite is kinda grippy  (Y)

adam

hey, cool stuff man....

im going to try no more nails mixed with grain of sand or glass, im gunna try it in a mo...

cheers

Will

i didn't think no-more-nails was very strong... >_<

it doesn't do anything on grips anyways....

adam

i've tried no more nails before, it sure is strong enough, but the brake grip so well that they dont release >_<

i thought the sand will remedy this, so im gunna try sand with it next time....

the reason im trying to find a long lasting solution is so that i dont have to faff about with my rear brake adding tar and re-grinding it.

i want a fit and forget brake setup....

Will, if you grind, then use tar frequently it makes the grind last longer as the tar goes into some of the groove things. You've gotta ronnie anyway! Grinds last aaaaaaaages on these beasts! (Me and Will the silver ronnie boys! :blink: )

Cheers,

Joe.

Will, if you grind, then use tar frequently it makes the grind last longer as the tar goes into some of the groove things. You've gotta ronnie anyway! Grinds last aaaaaaaages on these beasts! (Me and Will the silver ronnie boys! :- )

Cheers,

Joe.

haha true :D

got any pics of your de-anodised rim? did it work out ok yeah? (Y)

and for us mod riders  :-"

p.s i dont know why people are metioning grinds etc, everyone has tried a gind at one point  (Y)

im looking for a fit and forget brake! not a, oh shit, i need to grind my rim(its a bitch to do on mods, far more easier on stock and less time consuming).

anyways, back to the topic, anyone got any suggestions? :D

erm i might be missing something but why does it take more time to grind a mod rim and also why is it harder. it should be exactly the same except the mod rim is smaller therefore less time consuming?

so does anodising but thats ass kickingly good :D

im thining of the glue and sand idea, or maybe 'no more nails' and sand.

i dont want to feck my wheel up, because how would i get it all off? haha

Looks at the grinder :-" (Y) (evil laugh) just grind it enough to get it off

Edited by Towler

erm i might be missing something but why does it take more time to grind a mod rim and also why is it harder. it should be exactly the same except the mod rim is smaller therefore less time consuming?

horizontal dropouts = have to split the chain = takes longer than not splitting the chain (Y)

plus, you have to get the right tension on the chain whilst keeping the wheel straight...

Edited by WILL ARNOLD

for a start you dont need to split the chain to take the rear wheel out of a 20", just asking for trouble!!!

and it sounds like you want to make summit like sandpaper but on your rims? yea.....

well have you ever tryed to use sandpaper to sand stuff before if you ever have you would have noticed that it wears down REALLY fast and then goes crap!!!

so just imagine how longit would last on a rim..... not more tan 10 mins (Y)

and if you think about it when you grind you remove some material and the bits you leave behind are they bits the pads grips on. these bits are part of the rim, so they are going to be stronger than sand which has been glued to your rim

cutting slots in your rim with a hacksaw blade works and doesnt wear off for a long time, dont go more than 1mm deep :-

for a start you dont need to split the chain to take the rear wheel out of a 20", just asking for trouble!!!

and it sounds like you want to make summit like sandpaper but on your rims? yea.....

well have you ever tryed to use sandpaper to sand stuff before if you ever have you would have noticed that it wears down REALLY fast and then goes crap!!!

so just imagine how longit would last on a rim..... not more tan 10 mins (Y)

and if you think about it when you grind you remove some material and the bits you leave behind are they bits the pads grips on. these bits are part of the rim, so they are going to be stronger than sand which has been glued to your rim

cutting slots in your rim with a hacksaw blade works and doesnt wear off for a long time, dont go more than 1mm deep  :-

was looking for something more like ceramic coating, of that kind of finnish anyways.

as far as i know it isnt like sandpaper or a grind, but works brilliantly :D

just out of interest what bike is it ?

as for the plaz coating im sure you would need a klin to harden the ceramic coating

its a t-lite, with the shortest amount of chain to fit, it means i cant get enought slack to take that chain off the cogs (Y)

i dont think plaz coating is ceramic is it? or is it?

yea its a form of ceramic

yeah anyways, i want something similar to this but obviously without all the machinery, something i can just apply on and forget about...

i have tried 'no more nails' and its just too grabby and doesent let go of the pads, so i was thinking sand would help the pads release and sort of get in the way of the pads and the coating....

anyways, cheers for the advice....im off to try it out..