Stroy Puzzle Thingy

JT!

Ok, your on a game show, and you have a chance to win a [instert your favorite car here].

To win this car all you have to do is pick the right door out of 3. One has the car behind it, and the other two doors have a goat each behind them.

When you pick a door the gameshow host opens one of the other two doors that you didn't pick, to reveal a goat.

The gameshow host then gives you the choice of sticking with the door you have chosen, or swapping to the other one.

Should you stick or should you swap?

Which will give you the best chance of winning the car?

Edited by JT!

Ok, your on a game show, and you have a chance to win a [instert your favorite car here].

To win this car all you have to do is pick the right door out of 3. One has the car behind it, and the other two doors have a goat each behind them.

When you pick a door the gameshow host opens one of the other two doors that you didn't pick, to reveal a goat.

The gameshow host then gives you the choice of sticking with the door you have chosen, or swapping to the other one.

Should you stick or should you swap?

What are the chances of getting the car if you stick, and what are the chances of getting the car if you swap?

The chances were 1/3 but if he reveals one is a goat it drops to 1/2 strangely enough. Swapping is just a change of door not a change of odds.

I think Im right when i say the probabilty of getting it right in the first place is 1 in 3 (1/3). Then when they open the door showing the goat you know your nearly there. So the probabilty os not 1 in 2 (1/2). So its 50/50. Will make no difference to the chances if you change of not.

The odds of winning the car when you get down to only 2 doors are not 1/2.

By swapping or sticking you will increase your odds of winning the car, swap or stick?

The odds of winning the car when you get down to only 2 doors are not 1/2.

By swapping or sticking you will increase your odds of winning the car, swap or stick?

Oh wait I forgot 1 win out of 2 choices isn't 1/2. How can it not be, you've had a goat removed. You won't pick that. So it's gone from 1/3 to 1/2. Tell me the answer now (Y)

Oh wait I forgot 1 win out of 2 choices isn't 1/2. How can it not be, you've had a goat removed. You won't pick that. So it's gone from 1/3 to 1/2. Tell me the answer now (Y)

Telling you would spoil the fun, use your head. :P

Google it if you haven't got the brain power.

Haha. It's called the "Monty Hall problem", so search for that. In a book I've got, there's loads of letters from PhD's explaining how it is "wrong" - They also couldn't get their head around it, don't be too ashamed MRMonkey!

I'll try and explain.

Chances are you have picked a goat from the start, so even when one of the goats is revealed, theres a still 1/3 chance of you still having the goat. Swapping give you more change of winning.

(Y)

well it still confuses me because, if you open door one. then that is opened. u know there is a goat there, so therefore eliminated because you arent going to pick the same door again are you?

which leaves two doors. 1/2 is a car 1/2 is a goat, so its 50/50 (Y), i still dont understand u monkeys

I'll try and explain.

Chances are you have picked a goat from the start, so even when one of the goats is revealed, theres a still 1/3 chance of you still having the goat. Swapping give you more change of winning.

(Y)

That's what I f**king said. If your chances are 1/3 to being with when your chances increase to 1/2 it's better to swap as it's better odds. f**king hell.

What I think JT! is saying is that: you have 3 doors, you pick one, so the presenter opens one with a goat behind it, but now for some reason they keep the division of odds in thirds. So you have still got a 1/3 chance that your first pick was right, but because you have 3/3 and only one is used the other door has 2/3 of a chance to be the right one.

Totally misses the point that once you have eliminated one door you have to re-assess the odds.

What I think JT! is saying is that: you have 3 doors, you pick one, so the presenter opens one with a goat behind it, but now for some reason they keep the division of odds in thirds. So you have still got a 1/3 chance that your first pick was right, but because you have 3/3 and only one is used the other door has 2/3 of a chance to be the right one.

Totally misses the point that once you have eliminated one door you have to re-assess the odds.

Which is still what I said, just in thirds not re-assessing odds. >.< I could of said the odds change to 1.5/3 (Y) I know I'm right, the person who made it up was obvioulsy like a hardened pig shit..... Thick.

There is 2 ways its goes.

After they eliminate one of the doors as having a goat behind it, the sitation is...

DOOR 1 -> Goat <-This is confirmed

DOOR 2 -> Car <-your chosen door

DOOR 3 -> Goat

DOOR 1 -> Goat <-This is confirmed

DOOR 2 -> Goat <-your chosen door

DOOR 3 -> Car

There is no reason why it cant be either of those ways around. You definitely have a 50-50 chance with each remaining door, whether you chose the sheep in the first place or not. As the odds have changed, as to the 1/3 chance scenario, you now MUST have only 2 choices. Hence a 50-50 odds.

If someone tells me im wrong they would have to explain it very carefully as to why.