The Cars U Drive

chocolatefoot

How old are you Mod661?

I got extortionate quotes for a GTI golf like that, i'm 21 and half the people wouldn't insure me.

try confused.com they are brilliant for quotes.

Cough. I was planning on getting it at the end of this summer. After I've saved up more than I've got.

I should have £3700 if everything goes smoothly. I've got around £2400 so far.

That's for insurance as-well. But I think my rents will chip in loads for that >_<

Yeah. I'm thinking I might have to get a 1.4 Petrol and then get some nice wheels and change the front a tad. I really like how the Gti Looks >_<

:-

Why oh why would anyone do that to a 1.0l Corsa!? Dont get me wrong mate, theres nothing wrong with Corsas, they are reliable little runaround cars suitable as first cars.  Economical, small, can take a bike, reliable etc.  But its not a sports car, why would you put massive wheels on it like that. It doesnt look smart, it just marks you out as having a stereotypical chav type car.  >_< You might well not be a chav, but you've got a ghetto stylee car!

So its not fine for him to have the car he likes and the wheels he likes? And it does look smart, you put alloys on almost any car and it will make it look a million times better.

Edited by Corish

back to diesels.

COMMONRAIL is the word you all need to be looking at.

its been out a few years and is basically the closest to petrol style injection you can get on a diesel.

because the injection is controlled by the injector nozzle and rail pressure is kept constant the parameters for fueling are minute. you can inject as much or as little as you like at any time whereas before it was controlled by a belt driven pump and could only inject 'x' amount at point 'y' in the stroke.

Cough. I was planning on getting it at the end of this summer. After I've saved up more than I've got.

I should have £3700 if everything goes smoothly. I've got around £2400 so far.

That's for insurance as-well. But I think my rents will chip in loads for that :'(

Yeah. I'm thinking I might have to get a 1.4 Petrol and then get some nice wheels and change the front a tad. I really like how the Gti Looks :blink:

(Y)

If I were you, I would really really really get a crap 1 litre banger and build up your no claims. The quicker you do that, the better driver you become, the less likely you are to drive fast because you can't and the insurance will drop like a turd from a giraffe if you don't claim! And if you do smash it up anyway, it will be so cheap you wont need to claim, keeping your no claims bonus.

Be patient, it works out better in the long run.

Failing that, get married and go on your wifes insurance for like £20

back to diesels.

COMMONRAIL is the word you all need to be looking at.

its been out a few years and is basically the closest to petrol style injection you can get on a diesel.

because the injection is controlled by the injector nozzle and rail pressure is kept constant the parameters for fueling are minute. you can inject as much or as little as you like at any time whereas before it was controlled by a belt driven pump and could only inject 'x' amount at point 'y' in the stroke.

Tis true what you say, but the word Commonrail is just a word ford's marketing department came up with to sell ITS range of the new generation of diesels. TDI's, Turbo Diesel Injection, Valkswagen's equivilant of Fords TDCI have been around since ~2000 for the latest most refined design. Check out the specs of the 105bhp version, they are not ^quite^ as good but very comparable to the TDCI's in fuel economy and performance, even though it is a 1.9 as opposed to a 1.6.

My point is that there are other good diesels around besides those that are Commonrail (ford). In fact I've heard that peugeot have some good offerings, but havn't looked into them personally.

The 'new generation' of diesels refers to the change in design, moving away from lorry diesel designs. In lorrys, vaporisation of the fuel is done in a separate chamber before being let into the piston. As Bucky O'Hare said, the new one's use injectors to vaporise the fuel as it enters the piston, like a petrol engine. Great stuff. The diameter of the injector at the end that the fuel comes out of is around 0.2mm! (Y)

The TDI engine by VW is the same as the one in any Seat, Audi, or Skoda by the way, as thay are all the same company. Well, group of companies.

Common rail is the design, not a trademark of Ford. Like Bucky said, constant high pressure in the rails and electrically operated injectors.

Most lorrys are direct injection, thats why theyre so damn noisy. Its cars that have been indirect for a long time to keep them quiet. Common rail has been brought in to make quiter direct injection engines that'll meet the emissions regs.

The fuel isnt vapourised, its atomised. Small point, but its the reason the thing works in the first place......

Too true. Commonrail, is a technology, not a trademark.

Peeps should also get the idea outa their head that a bigger engine always equals faster performance. My 1.8 Pug (8V) is a lot slower off the mark than a modern Corsa, or Punto 1.2 16v, but not 8v. All to do with powerbands (I believe). To gain maximum performance out of 2days pocket rockets you have to remain within the powerband. Usually fairly high revs isn't it? Where as my old lump will pull from 25mph in 5th (with a delicate foot) all the way to 125+ but it won't do it quickly. Its just tuned for versatility + comfort.

Kinda like driving a diesel, if only I had the same fuel economy as in my 1.9D Pug.

Power and torque bands will apply to any engine but will just differ from car to car really. You are right though, an old 1.6 or 1.8 will generally be slower than a brand new 1.2 16v engine. Its just progression. Alothough new cars are nice, most "petrol heads" will agree that an older engine is almost always better built from better materials. Its the advancement in electronic wizardry that has increased performace and ecomnomy really. Most modern Jap cars dont even have an engine its just a big computer under the bonnet (Y) But then again, Jap cars arnt renown for being slow or shit so............

Ahem Honda (Y)

Are you saying Honda are shit?

Ever seen an imported Integra? Not the UK model, the import? it's absolutely awesome and STUPIDLY fast. a guy called Dean in my town has one, 360 BHP and it is insane. Super sexy too. The UK one looks nice, but is less powerful but still nice is it VTEC or TYPE-R in UK? well which ever one of those it is, the jap one is faster...

Are you saying Honda are shit?

Ever seen an imported Integra? Not the UK model, the import? it's absolutely awesome and STUPIDLY fast. a guy called Dean in my town has one, 360 BHP and it is insane. Super sexy too. The UK one looks nice, but is less powerful but still nice is it VTEC or TYPE-R in UK? well which ever one of those it is, the jap one is faster...

I'm in love with the btcc halfords integras They're soooo nice!

Hehe @ Monkey B)

We had a 2.5L Jap Skyline pull up at halfords. It was really nice.

His wheels cost £5000. He got the whole car imported for £8500 in total. Good price if you ask me!

Really nice. Only pumped out 345bhp though. He should tune it. Could get nearer 750bhp without that much money put into it!

I got to change the Air Filter :S

Twas massive toooo.

mini.jpg

That's my mums which i'm learning on.

1.4 diesel. 17's.

minispec.jpg

Really nippy and quiet. I quite like it. Wish she hadn't of got it in gold though.

How many more of you agree with me when I say: Those new minis are girls cars, almost all of them that I've seen driving about (all minus one, but even then there was also a young lady in the car) have had a woman behind the wheel. old minis :S New minis B) . Although I believe they do a supercharged, or similar, one? Or is that just a normal turbo?

More proof here, his mums got one. Not a bad car to learn to drive in though I'm sure.

Edited by Trials Tom

How many more of you agree with me when I say: Those new minis are girls cars, almost all of them that I've seen driving about (all minus one, but even then there was also a young lady in the car) have had a woman behind the wheel. old minis :S  New minis  B)

I cant agree with that more. Anyway the new 'Mini' is a dahm BMW afterall. There not exactly mini either.

I cant agree with that more.  Anyway the new 'Mini' is a dahm BMW afterall.  There not exactly mini either.

They are designed purely for the drive though :) Like a big overpowered go kart, wish my mum hadn't changed her mind B) would have been ace. Although i'm an old school mini lover. I'm determined an 80's ish mini cooper will be my first car :S"

Pete

They are designed purely for the drive though :P Like a big overpowered go kart, wish my mum hadn't changed her mind  :S  would have been ace. Although i'm an old school mini lover. I'm determined an 80's ish mini cooper will be my first car  :)"

Pete

no coopers made in he 80's B)

just lost of chavs painting the roof of their mayfair white!

and chris (dirt biker)

dont make youself look silly by suggesting you can change the cc of en engine by skimming the head u tool :P

capacity is area of bore x stroke

a 1275 has a 70.6mm bore and an 81.33mm stroke

find the area of the bore and times it by 81.33 and you get 1275....

stop being a goon :P

EDIT: i refuse to believe the new mini one D can be even remotely nippy.....

75bhp in a car that weighs close to double what my mini weighs.... simply CANT be nippy (Y) its less than 60bhp per ton (Y)

how rude!

back on the while diesel arguement.... i drive a 1.9tdi passat (02 reg) for work, its the 130bhp model, and it goes like shit! really impressive for what it it!

diesel IS the way forward for an everday car now.... sure, if you want performance and tuneability get a pertol, but for commuting, diesel is the way!

also.... theres a company in bristol who can chip a 130bhp audi 1.9tdi motor up to 200bhp (Y) which is SCARY!!!!

costs a LOT, but must go like shit :)