The Cars U Drive

chocolatefoot

I don't think diesels are better at all. Not for me anyway.

They sound like shit, and comparatively are slow.

For example, my friends 1.3 Starlet Turbo easily beats 2.0 Diesel turbo cars... Most of you probably won't beleive me but hey i'm not fussed, it's a fact. It's a 200 BHP Jap Import and is feckin sweet. If you don't beleive me, go to www.toyotagtturbo.com

It depends whether you mean old diesels, or new diesels. Diesel cars that are less than 3ish years old are good. Well turbo diesels anyway. The are cheaper to run and have good performance. to be honest a petrol car with less than 200bhp is gonna be slower than that then aswell aint it, makes no difference if its diesel

It depends whether you mean old diesels, or new diesels. Diesel cars that are less than 3ish years old are good. Well turbo diesels anyway. The are cheaper to run and have good performance. to be honest  a petrol car with less than 200bhp is gonna be slower than that then aswell aint it, makes no difference if its diesel

Exactly, comparing a hundred bhp deisel to a 200bhp petrol is silly, they are different either way.

Deisel cars are now racing in Le Mans, Vauxhall produced a Deisel version on the VX220 with the same performance, but it did a hundred miles to the gallon. VW produce the Polo GT TDi 1.9, with 130bhp, sub 10 second 0-60 and 130mph top speed. and still gives back 55mpg.

Also, you are comparing a car more tuned for racing to a car tuned to cruising. Most turbodeisel cars have low pressure turbos to allow quick change of speed at higher speeds, and comfortable high speed cruising.

My super sexy 307 is a quick bugger, 0-60 in 10.9 even with a low pressure turbo, and the acceleration through all speeds is bloody good. The engine is very quiet, much quieter than petrol cars of a few years old, and inside you cant hear the engine at all.

And Starlets look wank :(

I'll assume you haven't seen the Starlet GT Turbo's then.. the little grandad versions look wank, but the jap pocket rockets are much nicer :(

And I wasn't just comparing his car, look at my other comparison... I'm sure they have improved recently but so far I havn't found one joe average could afford. I earn 12k, and in my price range there is nothing.

If I was to pay 20,000 then maybe yeah, but the Starlet was 3,800. See my point?

I'll assume you haven't seen the Starlet GT Turbo's then.. the little grandad versions look wank, but the jap pocket rockets are much nicer :)

And I wasn't just comparing his car, look at my other comparison... I'm sure they have improved recently but so far I havn't found one joe average could afford. I earn 12k, and in my price range there is nothing.

If I was to pay 20,000 then maybe yeah, but the Starlet was 3,800. See my point?

What you need is to get married :(

My wife has informed me that when we are 23 (insurance wont insure us till then), we are going to buy a Vauxhall VX220. Oh, what I shame, I don't think...

Seriously though desiels are more expensive than petrols because the engine is a lot more complex, but the newer ones are well worth it. Also they will last you twice as long, if not more. My dads friend deisel has just crossed the 500,000 mile mark!

I still want a TVR though

I wouldnt worry too much, my mate has a slimline ps2, 2 sun visor 4x7in monitors, a £380 sony video display head unit all in his 206, in a relatively rough part of liverpool, his car stands out like a sore thumb; lexus lights f+r, 206 spoiler, full plastic painted to match car, 2.5in exhaust, alloys, etc etc etc. And it hasnt been robbed yet lol

Im really starting to think diesel is for me. I was like you mike, thought diesels were crap, lumpy, noisey and slow. But ive come to realise you defo get more bang for your buck, providing that it is a newish car.

I know what your saying, I mean I couldnt afford a NICE diesel on my own. Im going to have to get a loan next year when I am getting real money. As people have said, they cruise much better, And are workhorses. Petrol engines are pussys in comparison. They break down at every opportunity and are far more tempremental.

I just need to find a car I like, around 1.9TDI with 6 gears now :(

I can't get insured on the car I was going to buy.

media.jpg

VOLKSWAGEN Golf GTi 16v, 1991,

In red, 3 door hatchback, 17 alloys.

So yeah. I phoned up the insurers. They laughed and said they're not insuring me on a 1.8 Gti :(

So I'm getting put on as the second driver and my mum as the primary :)

gallery_1308_157_16351.jpg

haha, my clio 1.2.

Good car, quite quick and roars like a mini TVR.

Can fit two mod bikes (fully built) and two peeps.

Standard (as it should be you ruuude bois), except replaced the old blaupunkt cassette with a blaupunkt cd player and removed as much rust as possible. (repainted wheels and rear arches).

Plans:
get my new clutch fitted as the current one slips slightly. :)"
get one of the near side calipers sorted as it's seized. :(

get one of the near side calipers sorted as it's seized. :(

If its anything like ford ones, you will probably be needing a new caliper and rubber brake hose. Does your car pull to one side on braking? Sometimes does the brake rub for a while? If so then the rubber hose has collapsed. Under normal braking the fluid cant ge through due to the collapsing and the car pulls over to the other side as only that brake is working. However, if you slam on for any reason, the fluid is basically FORCED down the collapsed hose into the caliper but then cant get back as it is still effectively collapsed, and the brake stays on and rubs until the brake fluid eventually seeps back into the system properly.

Ring any bells?

LOL, not really, however i understand what you're saying.

Basically it was sat around for about 7 months before i got it. So naturally the calipers were seized slightly.

It went for it's MOT and they apparently fixed them, but only enough for it to pass it's MOT, so now one of the nearside calipers rubs ever so slightly.

Its not noticeable, and it doesn't pull left when braking however the steering does lean left slightly when you let go of it whilst moving.

I know it's a problem and can get serious, but i don't drive far or often enough for it to worry me. If i was flying up and down the motorway everyday i would of sorted it ages ago but as it happens, a couple of trips to work and various other places a few times a week doesn't really make it seem worth fixing.

You might get away with a stip down, clean, lube and re bleed then. Mine was baaaaad and took a while for me to realise what was happening. I thought it was just the caliper and didnt consider the hose, whereas the the experienced guy I spoke to know straight away.

As for cars pulling over, wait till one of your wishbones go at the ball joint, the car randomly pulls SHAPLY over to one side, and im talking a whole lane. I found this out on the motorway.........