What Am I Doing Wrong?

PaRtZ

In my 1 year of riding, I have destoryed the following drivetrain components:

1x dicta freewheel (OK fair enough, they're poo)

3x ACS Claws

3x Chains (cheap shimano one, and 2 different KMC types)

3x Chain breaker tools

and I've now just broken a shadow conspiracy interlocker chain. My mate suggested that no-one goes through this amount of equipment so I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

thanks

Do you know how to put a chain on properly?

Go www.sheldonbrown.com ithink it is , it will guide you through everything thing if you are unsure.

However if you have the right techinques etc maybe your just buying crap chaintools.

Go for a park tool one the big b*****d ones there mint, and if the pin brakes you can just get a new un for a £1.

Keep your freewheel's lockrings tight/welded/locktited so they cant come loose, and try to get a good balance of tightness and looseness between your chain, too tight and the chain will go, too loose and the freewheel will. :-

Dicta-no concern there as they're poo.

3 ACS's...probably about average, particularly if they weren't kept tight or not really looked after.

Shimano and KMC (other than a Kool)-that's unlucky but not unusual. I always change my chains before they snap.

Shadow Chain-no surprised as I've only heard bad things about them.

Chain tools...Methinks you must be using them wrong! I've had the same (cheap) chain tool for about 6 years now and it's still going strong.

I think you're doing ok. At least nothing major's broken like frames or wheels which is a telltale sign of a 'heavy' rider.

Dave

I believe i've probley beat that record. ;)

First couple of times the reason was because the chain was loose and whilst on my back wheel and kicking the freewheel (acs and dicta) explode. leaving me with a broken freewheel and swollen balls :)"

Or secondly the chain was to tight and againg this slowly loosens the freewheel(i think) and you and up with ball bearings every where.

Do you run chain tensioners ?

And you must have a good method of taking the freewheels off.

EDIT: Did CALEB give you permission to have a picture of him in your avatar :-

Edited by Josh B

The KMC split links work perfectly, just as strong as a regular link. Not like other split links, its basically a regular link with a little clip added!

Sounds like you dont know how to maintain the bike if anything - broken freewheels happen if you dont keep them tight. Chains snap if not joined properly - sounds like thats the case if you are actually breaking the chain tool! And were the KMC chains KOOL chains or just the random Z-- ones? As they are good, but not as good as the KOOL!

I'd go for the KHE Collapse is anything, as it's apparently stronger than the Kool (plus they look cool as f**k (N)).

If you didn't keep the Claws tight, it's understandable.

Other than that though, if you're breaking tools it'd suggest you weren't using them super well (I don't mean that in a "You knob head!" way :-), which probably leads to chains that aren't joined properly, meaning they're more likely to die.

Do you preload much before doing moves? If you do, it generally increases the life of your drive train as the pressure is applied in a much smoother way, not just explosions of power repeatedly, which will lead to the freewheels/chains dying.

If you've got the cash, try getting the Eno freewheel (or if you've got 3x THAT amount of cash, get a Profile :deej:). They're pretty damn burly so you'd probably get along with it better :P Plus they're a doddle to maintain 'cos they barely ever come undone and even when they do they don't explode a la Claws...

Mark

I'd go for the KHE Collapse is anything, as it's apparently stronger than the Kool (plus they look cool as f**k (N)).

If you didn't keep the Claws tight, it's understandable.

Other than that though, if you're breaking tools it'd suggest you weren't using them super well (I don't mean that in a "You knob head!" way :-), which probably leads to chains that aren't joined properly, meaning they're more likely to die.

Do you preload much before doing moves?  If you do, it generally increases the life of your drive train as the pressure is applied in a much smoother way, not just explosions of power repeatedly, which will lead to the freewheels/chains dying.

If you've got the cash, try getting the Eno freewheel (or if you've got 3x THAT amount of cash, get a Profile :deej:).  They're pretty damn burly so you'd probably get along with it better :P  Plus they're a doddle to maintain 'cos they barely ever come undone and even when they do they don't explode a la Claws...

Mark

the bit above about the preload is also what i think your doing wrong, when you skip hop makes sure your hub/freewheel is engaged ie the pawls are engaged under tension from chain, doing this stops the pawls from engaging super fast and prolongs lide, it also improves your riding and gap distance. if your chain goes 'twang' or that kinda noise when you gap your doing it wrong

How did you break a conspiracy shadow chain? Did the link break or did it just loose the pin and fall apart? I bet it just wasnt put on right, i would try that chain again, but make sure you use the longer black pin to join it and make sure the pin sticks out on each side of the chain. :P

Nothing wrong with the Kool split links.

was riding my new bike on xmas day with one of these on and it snapped withing 3 hours !!!! the sram ones are really good. :P

Sram Powerlinks are useless.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that though. They've gotten me out of some dodgy situations when mechs or rings or something drivetrain related has f**ked up. It also means they're incredibly easy to install and modify.