Got My Avid.

JT!

Decided i want to get a disk, hydraulic, no cables. But i havent a clue which one. I don't realy want to spend over £80 on one if i can help it. Overall aim is to get good modulation, and a somewhat good hold. I was having a look on CRC and noticed that theres alot of magura disks been reduced. Like this one. Are they any good? £140 down to £80 :) ! I hear they have a tendancey to leak, but with a 5 year leak proof warrenty theres no real risk.

I have a friend who says that any disk brake other than hope is crap basicly, and if your going to get a disk you might aswell get the best. Would you agree?

Also i hear that some disk brakes have an auotmatic TPA type thing, so you can't actualy ajust them like maggies. :S Can someone explain to be how that works.

Any suggestions welcome, but i really don't want to spend over £80.

Edited by JT!

Ive got a 203mm Avid Cable with XTR lever, and some people I ride with are scared of it. Im not sure how powerful the Juicy 7 is but I'm going to get one.

I was like you and insisted on no cables, but I changed my mind after using one, if you must have hydraulic then try the juicy 7, abit out the price range. Or for about £80 Hayes HFX DH 8", my mate has some they are good too.

It's not that i don't like the feel of a cable disk, it's the fact that it is cable, and i have had alot of bother with my v's fraying cables, and cutting them etc etc. So definatly no cables. (Y)

Plus £80 is max really.

Edited by JT!

i must say ive been pretty impressed with my shimano dewhore disc, that i have on my get to uni bike. It has quite a lot of power, yet loads of modulation, the lever reach is also adjustable which is nice. I think its the M525 model but im not completely sure (Y)

Yep its the 525 i have, there are pics and details of it on merlin cycles website

its only £50 too which int bad, if i remember rightly thats why i got it :deej:

i must say ive been pretty impressed with my shimano dewhore disc, that i have on my get to uni bike.  It has quite a lot of power, yet loads of modulation, the lever reach is also adjustable which is nice.  I think its the M525 model but im not completely sure (Y)

It's on CRC, but it hasn't got a description or anything yet.

Your reasons for not getting an Avid are pretty lame.

I know. I have loads of reasons in my head though, just can't be botherd to type them :D but don't want anything but hydraulic. I think it's more phycological to be honest with you. (Y)

The Louise discs are good for the money (especially if its goin on a mod). But i'm in love with my Marta, weighs absolute sod all, 160mm rotor, power is incredible :deej: £120 though.

Yeah it is going on a mod, and i hear magura disks are realy light and fragile, which suits me realy as i don't tend to fall off (probably down to the fact that i'm a wuss and do go fo anything) and i aim for weight loss anyway. And they are like 42% off £140, so i'm getting £140 worth of braking for £80. :deej: Also i have all the stuff to bleed it already.

Do you think it would suit me?

The question is whats all that 'automatic pad wear adjustment' about, can you ajust them like maggies?, how do they ajust automaticly?, and if you can't ajust them, how far does the leaver pull down to the bars?

Edited by JT!

And they are like 42% off £140, so i'm getting £140 worth of braking for £80.  :deej: 

Clever (but very cheeky, and possibly illegal) sales tactics that...

The Magura discs are never sold for £140, especially as OEM versions!

Cheap hydraulic disc for a mod bike... Shimano Deore (Y)

Edit: Search on Google for 'open' and 'closed' braking systems. If you *must* have the adjustment like an HS33, it'll have to be a Hope C2 or XC4 (or various other very poor brakes)

Edit: Search on Google for 'open' and 'closed' braking systems. If you *must* have the adjustment like an HS33, it'll have to be a Hope C2 or XC4 (or various other very poor brakes)

I sort of get it (Y) But what i don't get is how the actual brake knows when the pads are worn down, mind you it's not like they wear down like maggie blocks... :deej: so i'm asuming i would never actualy notice it happen with there only been a very slight change.

So long as it stays somewhat consistant, that'll do me.

Edited by JT!

I have heard very good things about magura discs from my mates who have had a go with one, and prawny etc have mentioned them in another topic. A lot of pros seem to use magura discs on te front, koxx riders etc so i sure they would be worth a looks for £80...

My Magura Louise front disk has been fine since the day I got it :deej: It may not have all the modulation your looking for though! My lever seems to have points at which it will go hard or soft, random but oh well I love it! Enough power to hold me on front wheel moves which is nice and works in all weather!

James (Y)

stop being a nobba and get an avid, have you even tried an avid?

its going on a mod ye? so you would want the 165 version for £50

then you will need a lever, these are more than good enough or you could buy a pair for £30 and have a spare or sell it on like sooooo.

and then all you need is a cable, this would be ace

and there you have a brake for just under £80 that you will love and never want to get rid of.

but if you are that scared of cables that you dont want the best brake you can get then the maggie range is your best bet or that shimano one.

AVID!!!!

James (Y)

Because you a bad jock.... :deej:  :D

Whats a jock?

nope not getting an avid mechanical, sorry.

I used to have v's on my old da bomb, can't stand using cables. Besides arn't avids really heavy anyway? As they have cables etc.

Plus, on the avids only one side pulls dosn't it? Against a solid one. Which is a bit (Y)

Say what you like, but nah, sticking with a hydo.

:deej:

Edited by JT!

Plus, on the avids only one side pulls dosn't it? Against a solid one. Which is a bit erm :deej:

good to see u've done ur research on how discs actually work (Y)

anyways, my experiences with hydraulic discs led me to usin an avid mechanical one. had a really well setup louise, but it pumped up like a bast@rd (u can get em a to lock up for a few secs if ur really good) and then it went pop. my friends newer louise doesn't pump as much, but goes randomly rubbish half through a ride every now and then.

think about it, a cable disc isn't gonna leak. it isn't gonna go weird if u turn the bike upside down. u can't get brake fluid all over the discs because theres none there. i've had my 203mm avid for about 10months now, and haven't touched the damn thing yet. the pad adjust dials make it super easy to adjust for pad wear. and u can literally fit the things, ready to run, in less than about 3mins! mine is more powerful, and has better modulation (with single digit lever) than ma friends mono M4, which he paid nearly double for! i was a sceptic, like u, before i got one, but now see what all the hype was about! and i haven't had any of the problems u've listed. using same cable and outer (bogo shimano service items) and if use a cable tidy, ur cable will never fray!

but if u seriously only want hydraulic, best o luck to u. just wonder how long it'll b before u get an avid after that.... deore M525 is probs only cheap disc i've liked. wudn't recommend magura :deej:

avid! avid! avid!

smithy

good to see u've done ur research on how discs actually work (Y)

Well feel free to corect / tell me, i don't know much about disk brakes.

What do you mean by 'pumped' anyway?

well, just about every disc brake i know of uses a single piston with a pad, to push the disc onto a fixed pad.

brake pump occurs in hydraulic discs (someone correct me if i'm wrong) when the piston doesn't retract quickly enough. therefore, the brake is staying 'on' even once u release the lever. some discs don't seem to suffer from this (like cable discs (Y) ), though i'm not quite sure how it occurs.

anyhow, avids are the only cable discs i've ever tried which work well enough for trials. and i can honestly say, when set up correctly (which ain't difficult) they easily match, or even surpass, the performance of just about every hydraulic disc i've ever tried.

smithy