Skipping Freewheels!

STEVE-0

I've had my ACS claw for about a month now and very recently its been skipping much to my surprise. I just went out on my bike after getting home from school today and the skips were getting worse and more frequent. Then i went and put some bike spray on the freewheel and tried it again, it sounded really loud and gritty this time. As i cruised out of my garage i went to pedal and SMACK!! i get a half a turn skip and complete crack my knee on the stem :) .

Firstly why would this happen and whats the best idea to try and fix it, keeping in mind that my crank is a bitch to get off.

Also what is the strongest freewheel available? I thinking of getting the white industries ENO (green, which is apparently heavy duty)?

cheers, Steve :turned:

jeeeez steve...just get an eno- you've seen how long everyone else's lasts! There isn't any other option anyway!! apart from the true precision thang- but i don't know if that even "exists" yet.....

bit of wd40 every other week keeps my eno happy :turned:

adam

EDIT: quote Bucky

But the whole point was that i changed to front freewheel because they're apparently alot stronger than hubs!!! I used to break my HOPE bulb every 2 months and now it seems i can break an ACS in 1 month.

Arrggg! :turned:

Edited by STEVE-0

EDIT: quote Bucky

But the whole point was that i changed to front freewheel because they're apparently alot stronger than hubs!!! I used to break my HOPE bulb every 2 months and now it seems i can break an ACS in 1 month.

Arrggg!  :turned:

did no one tell you about profiles when you were wrecking hopes???

i wrecked at least 7 sets of hope springs/pawls/FHB/ratchets in a couple of years.

then i went to profile and it lasted 8 months(was then stolen but never showed anysigns of self destruction)

i know its no good telling you now though.

Yeah i did know about them but i never really appeared to be a good option. Lots of people cracked them from what i heard and i didn't really hear any good comments at all. The only thing i liked was the noise they made.

Aren't they more suited to mods anyway?

For those that dont know..

Bike Spray is like GT85 and a bit like WD40, its made by muc-off and its pretty good :turned: Not as lubey as wd and doesnt evap as fast as gt, but smells a whole lot better :)

I used it to flush out my king.

edit: oh yeah the freewheel, ummm get an eno yeah www.bikedock.com, www.tartybikes.co.uk (i think), Dan Ko will sort you out with a 72ept eno :S

Edited by Sam@SouthTrials

Spraying anything onto freewheel will only make them worse, if the pawles are slipping anyway, then applying lub to them isn't going to help, makes them more likely to slip back.

Why not just get another ACS? ENO's are good, but profiles are the way forward, however they are much more expensive. :turned:

:)

Edited by JT!

When I had the ACS on both mod and stock (up front) I had to keep making sure the lockring was tight. Even when locktited it would still insist of moving.

I took the crank to a local welder after getting the lockring tight and asked them to put a spot of weld holding the lockring shut.

That freewheel never skipped and I reckon it wont for a good while with its new owner (Roozer if you want to PM him for a pic of what I mean)

When it was welded the heat probably screwed any grease in the freewheel making it skip but I blushed it ALL out with WD40 and it was most reliable freewheel ever.

Luke speaks the truth. I found that at first, my Eno was a little quiet and sometimes skipped, but I stripped it down and all that had happened was the sealed bearings had oozed some excess grease out, and the only place it could go was into the pawls, springs and the ratchet area, meaning that it slowed the whole process down. I totally cleaned that area out, put a little spray lube on it, and built it back up. About 2 weeks later I stripped it again just to see how it was doing and there was a tiny bit of grease on there, but that was it.

They're really good freewheels. I had to go back to running an ACS for a short while after having my Eno and it was weird - I just couldn't deal with it. There was just too much play and flex in the engagement and it just felt shit.

I know it's £70, but I'm happy to pay that much for a part that is as valuable as a freewheel is in a drive-train, and for something that seems like it'll last (plus seeing as it's all replaceable it's gonna be repairable).

Mark