What Are People Tapping?

JIX

I've spent hours trying to tap and my front wheel hasn't hit the wall once. However I was doing it on my own, and I've never seen a tap before  :">  I might have to give them a lot of practise this summer.

RESPECT to your avatar! I remember monkey island, best game EVER! Oh, those were the days...

Anyway, back to the topic, i cant tap.

Well,

I've started taps about a week ago as my 05Team 1040 Wheelbase is alittle long to bunnyhop.

I've done about 41/42ish? but i cannot do them everytime. I have my good and bad days, as i'm still perfecting mt technique.

Scotty

That is high!

How long have you been riding?

I can only just do 38", big I hardly even touch the wall, then if i try 1" higher, i whack the wall and nearly snap my forks!!

Well i'm not sure how big it is but i think you can all imagine five blue pallets, can do it almost everytime..................Thought i would have a good go at six got right ontop of it but fell back :P , maybe next time i hope.

Gaz (Y)

Well i'm not sure how big it is but i think you can all imagine five blue pallets, can do it almost everytime..................Thought i would have a good go at six got right ontop of it but fell back :P , maybe next time i hope.

Gaz (Y)

that's what i like to hear! a bit of persiverance!

johal

Taps get frustrating. On a vertical wall with a smooth concrete run up I can get 50 inches. On grass my record is 47 inches. I have been trying this tap for a few weeks now and I can't do it. It bugs me because I have landed it before and I have done higher. I am going to try it again today.

The right conditions help a lot with taps.

RESPECT to your avatar! I remember monkey island, best game EVER! Oh, those were the days...

Anyway, back to the topic, i cant tap.

You're welcome.

What's the lowest sort of height you can start to learn taps on? On a good day I can backwheel handlebar height easily enough, and I can 2 wheel higher than that. The thing is I'd like to start small because I'm certain to hurt myself.

you also have to push the front wheel across and not up on bigger taps.

the bigger you go the harder it is to go straight up, i find it easier like rolling my hands on the bar so it goes up to start with but half way through going up i try push forward and down more.

Waynio.........................

60" the coustelliers were tapping that iv heard. maybe i seen my mate lovatt tap about 58" he only learned it the other day................... :) (Y)

(mmmmmmmmmmm now i smell something dont you?)

well, after phils advice about lower bars, I put my 10mm spacer ontop of the stem, I then went and nearly did my 50" tap first time, ended up blunting it.

I stuck at it and got it 4 times (Y) I always knew about the lower bars thing (honest) but never thought it actually made much difference.

well, after phils advice about lower bars, I put my 10mm spacer ontop of the stem, I then went and nearly did my 50" tap first time, ended up blunting it.

I stuck at it and got it 4 times (Y)  I always knew about the lower bars thing (honest) but never thought it actually made much difference.

Wow, haha, nice.

I've only just got this tapping stuff, learnt it last weekend on this loading bay with a nice beveled edge to it, managed to go from like 30" from a bunnyhop, to about 35" at a guess, with a tap, I was pleased.

Would lowering the bars on my bike (ET24, 2" rise bars, 15deg risestem, loooads of stackers) help at all?

I can do about 3/4" over bar on a good day so about 40-42" odd. Started learning them on my Koxx then I changed my frame and getting used to it on a longer frame is harder but alot easier. I've also found that some days I can tap and just go, smooth as hell, then the next day not be able to manage it at all. Although my consistancy is getting better.

Tapping is definatly an art that needs to be perfcted.

Would lowering the bars on my bike (ET24, 2" rise bars, 15deg risestem, loooads of stackers) help at all?

Try it for sure. With your bar and stem set-up no spacers would still be plenty higher than most peoples. But for street high bars feel great. It depends on what you ride more.

What's the lowest sort of height you can start to learn taps on? On a good day I can backwheel handlebar height easily enough, and I can 2 wheel higher than that. The thing is I'd like to start small because I'm certain to hurt myself.

When I learned I found a wall that was about the height of my top headset cup, so an inch or two below bar height, so it was probably around the 36" mark. I started by putting the front tyre on the wall with the first half pedal stroke and then hopping to bashguard. When I got the confidence I started pushing it straight to backwheel instead.

As Wayne said, possibly some MBUK/forum tape measures with some numbers missing, but it's all fun and games. Personally I'm not into measuring things, certainly not before I try something. Don't want to be thinking, oh, that's 45 and I've only done 43 before, etc, as you'll put yourself off.

i cannot seem to tap anymore, since i have had my 24 i cant tap, on my leeson i could do about 40"

but now i just cant tap, i find that i can bunnyhop up to back wheel on about 42 though

so it doesnt seem to be a problem, as i dont really see myself as ever being able to tap again, just plain bunnyhops for me

luisio

i cannot seem to tap anymore, since i have had my 24 i cant tap, on my leeson i could do about 40"

but now i just cant tap, i find that i can bunnyhop up to back wheel on about 42 though

so it doesnt seem to be a problem, as i dont really see myself as ever being able to tap again, just plain bunnyhops for me

luisio

I nailed a couple of bunnyhop taps on me ashton and a few small pedal taps. but it was a hell of a lot easier when i had my zebdi set up for a couple of weeks :lol: haven't really tried on the leeson yet, will do though.

mike

i cant tap for shit...not with a turn of the cranks anyways...do a few inches over bar.

can bunnyhop and tap, that kind of works, but i spose its cheating.

and bunnyhops....they rule. however high that slanty wall is in notts...i got the big bit of that once

:lol: