Anodising A Profile Hub

Michael Hardman

This is for me bmx.

The problem is I can only get the Profile hub I want in gold with 14mm axle and 36 hole as the Profile Mini SS hub.

Whereas Ive seen a black profile hub with 10tooth driver and 14mm ti axle for half the price it would cost in the shops. So I could buy that and anodised it to suit my colour scheme.

Dont hassle me over colours.

i had a set of gold answer pro taper bars stripped and reannodised black a few years ago, only cost me a tenner and took them 3 days!

they told me that basicly, if you can strip it down to alu ONLY, (all other materials such as steel ratchets and things MUST be removed) its just a simple case of dipping it, and is easy as pie!

Thing is, some measurements need to be kept perfect inside a hub for it to function well, and the anodising/stripping process might make the surfaces uneven, or might add or take a few 1/10s, which might ruin the hub totally.

I'm not 100% sure this will affect the hub in the way i described, but I would stick with the black shell.

Yeah I think Jansons spot on on this one. The stripping/reanodising will change the geo of the hub, this COULD make the hub function incorrectly, i.e destroying itself...keep the black and stop being so vain :S spray it gold if it means that much to you but not worth the hassle! Get some gold spokes instead!

James (Y)

Thing is, some measurements need to be kept perfect inside a hub for it to function well, and the anodising/stripping process might make the surfaces uneven, or might add or take a few 1/10s, which might ruin the hub totally.

I'm not 100% sure this will affect the hub in the way i described, but I would stick with the black shell.

A few tenths?? Doubt it. Painting maybe, but you'd only be doing the external surfaces. Profile don't make the 'non anodised' hubs smaller because of the anodising.

If you buy that PlastiCote (sp) stuff from a hardware store (or Wilkinson's - £2.95 for a 400ml aerosol last time I looked) it should stretch enough under the wheel building stress. Can't see it cracking up unless you build the wheel gorilla-tight.

Wont the paint crack when the wheel is rebuilt or are you lot suggesting build the wheel cover everything but the hub up take the internals out and spray gold.

i was thinking more along the lines of de-building the wheel then spray the hub(using the carboard from toilet rolls to cover the axle etc..)

im not sure about crackage, but maybe u could try it first on an old wheel?

cheers

Will

A few tenths?? Doubt it. Painting maybe, but you'd only be doing the external surfaces. Profile don't make the 'non anodised' hubs smaller because of the anodising.

anodising only changes the colour of the top layer of alu, so nothing is added or taken away in terms of dimensions,

but you get the problem of taking the old anodising off which will take some material from the hub which wont be replaced when re-anodising it :S

i may be wrong but i would have thought it would be ok (Y)

Will