Hope Head Doctor

Tom Booth

Right i bought a new frame over the weenend and the steerer tube needed cutting, so i ssliced it off and instead of fitting a star nut i though ill buy a hope head thingy, and when i fitted it it just spins, it gets so tight then just spins in the steerer, is there some way these are meant to be fitted, or do they just not work in onza tuff guy forks?

Help me, please?

Cheers

Tom

put it in the steerer,

get a big allen key i think its a 8mm.

and a small screw driver or a very small pointy thing,

put the allen key in the hole, and hold it there, then put the small pointy thing in the little slit thing that is on the very outside, this will stop it spinning, then tighten the allen key bold. pucka,

but in my opinion sometimes they work sometimes they dont,

get a headlock system, (best option)

or a star nut, cant go wrong,

Spoonz

they way I do it:

pop it in the steerer, bung an 8mm allen key into the allocated hole and use the allen key as a lever to push one side of the dr up against the side of the steerer, this then stops it spinning and lets you tighten it up.

I havnt had a single prob with my head dr, and thats with swapping it from fork to fork quite often.

Well if i've picked up the mood correctly, it's general consensus that Head Doctors are shite, so that could be your answer.

Ha ha - very droll !

What's with the alloy bolt you get with Hope headsets too ?

I've just fitted a Hope headset to my err, other, bike and rather than use the Head Doctor expanding alloy malarkey, I've just used a star nut, and a lovely stainless bolt with the Hope top cap and it worked a treat (considering the engineering last gasp horror that is the 'star nut').

Personally ... (and it's just an opinion mind), but I wouldn't trust that Headdoctor thing very far.

Tis' a nice headset though.

i think they dont expand wide enough for some steerers, mine wouldnt work in my koxx forks which is a bit annoying. just use a star nut  (Y)

Mine was too big to fit into my echo forks. There's nothing really wrong with a star nut anyway...