My School Is The Most..

shity_saracen_rider

sorry but thats 90% bullshit. how can u generalise like that? women dont prefer lesser paid jobs, theres probly more male teachers at my college now, ever since the spice girls, women have been wearing suits and kicking up a fuss about how they arnt treated fairly. and just becuase some little hippy wasnt alowed long hair at school isnt sexist, its for his own good if u ask me. no offence mate.

I work as an engineer, and about 80% of the company worldwide is male, purely because ON THE WHOLE women do not like this style of job, alongside being a doctor, scientist. A survey was conducted to see what job was the most satisfying, and hairdresser came up tops. Which is mostly a women dominated job because women prefer to do it. I said from the beginning it was not all but most women, and it is far from stereotypical.

Women would rather do a job they enjoy than one with high responsabilities and workloads, which is fair enough. And jobs that women like are lesser paid. You are right, women have kicked up a fuss, but its settled down, and in the end, women do prefer jobs that are coincidentaly lesser paid, because they are less stressful jobs.

Their have always been women doing male orientated jobs, and very too, but in the end men and women arent the same, and we do have what could be called stereotypical interests (with a small percentage of exceptions)

Edited by andyroo

Yes but statistically speaking, engineering is not considered a highly paid profession...

On topic: I think you will find that all schools have rule like the ones you mention, and there really isn't much you can do about it. My old school had rules about the type of hair cut, piercings etc, and although a lot of people pushed the rules somewhat, they are there for a reason. As for girls 'getting away with it', I think you will find that a couple of earings on a girl stand out a lot less than £50's worth of tunnels on a lad. Hence your breaking of the rules stands out more.

Schools have always tried to get rid of individuality amoungst pupils (with regards appearance), it goes to produce a better working environment...

I work as an engineer, and about 80% of the company worldwide is male, purely because ON THE WHOLE women do not like this style of job, alongside being a doctor, scientist.

I'm a biomedical scientist and about 75% of the staff where I work are actually women...

However most of the more senior staff are men.

Women moan about inequality and being paid less for the same jobs but more women work part time than men and progress slower in their careers.

dan

schools try and make people the same as everybody else!

for instance girls to look, wear the same cloths and the same for the guys.

they try and do this to stop people being individual abit harsh but true.

they try and do this to stop bullying etc because everyone is the same.

hence why most schools try and stop hair differences or extreme piercing etc.

although i think if people were to wear what they wanted like in collages we would have less bullying and if that didn't work well at least we would wear what we wanted to :-

Yes but statistically speaking, engineering is not considered a highly paid profession...

On topic:  I think you will find that all schools have rule like the ones you mention, and there really isn't much you can do about it.  My old school had rules about the type of hair cut, piercings etc, and although a lot of people pushed the rules somewhat, they are there for a reason.  As for girls 'getting away with it', I think you will find that a couple of earings on a girl stand out a lot less than £50's worth of tunnels on a lad.  Hence your breaking of the rules stands out more.

Schools have always tried to get rid of individuality amoungst pupils (with regards appearance), it goes to produce a better working environment...

Exactly, engineering aint exactly a well paid job.

Phil.

seeing as though women have been gettin paid less in work for quite some time now, im sure u can manage to cut ur hair off. dont be such a drama queen about it. we werent allowed to throw snowballs at our old school.. its not so much sexist, its just crappy school rules.

Yes but them being allowed to have earing and the boys not, thats sexist, its not asif the girls "NEED" the earings is it? its normal for girls to have long hair, just 'cos its not as normal for boys don't mean they can't have it, in my opinion, its all sexist...!

who really cares.. its secondry schools, its meant to have rules, and the students are meant to hate them.. thats wat growin up is all about. we all have to grin and bear it then we become older and we can do wat we like.

a boy with long hair who wants to wear earings has deeper issues to worry about anyway..

Im at uni now but before that I was at a private school back home on the island...

To put it blankly I've found that school is unfair... You are generally treated like a child. To put this into context use the current appearance problem.

Schools such as mine wanted you (and everyone else) to conform to a school code which would stamp out some predujice in appearance, as well as setting the example to lowers. This last bit means the school didn't want a load of year 7 kids walking around town in uniform with blue hair or stick on tatoo's resulting from seeing the sixth form do it, as that would set a bad image for the school in general.

Obviously theres race / gender issues etc which are more severe than havin a kid walking around school with a hat at funny angles so there's got to be some slack. Earrings are associated with women more than blokes from a younger age, therefore to conform to "normal" standards schools will generally allow girls 1 earring in each ear or whatever whilst guys wont be.

You could argue that certain schools (mainly privately owned ones) are trying to bring kids up as sheep to a certain extent but ultimately I think they are trying to show you a mode of life that they deem suitable, which you can compare to whatever you want to live once you leave lower education.

University is a laugh... Most people will tell you that. You are now treated like an adult (in the vast majority of cases), infact you are an employee of the university (according to freshers week)... My lecturers couldn't give a damn 'bout my mohican, a few of them actually like it... School would have seen me suspended 'til it was cut off and the hair grown back to at least grade 2 (school minimum). All I'm trying to say here is accept school regulations, they don't last forever. I know it sucks but you just gotta wait for uni or college or whatever to get a decentish level of freedom.

Should make some sense :)"

who really cares.. its secondry schools, its meant to have rules, and the students are meant to hate them.. thats wat growin up is all about. we all have to grin and bear it then we become older and we can do wat we like.

a boy with long hair who wants to wear earings has deeper issues to worry about anyway..

I think your signiture says it all

I think that that's a load of crap, my school has no code for appearance at all, and we still do well in exams and have no violence. Why is this? because :) the students are not angry and therefore don't go around starting fights to release thei anger, and also because fighting will get you expelled.

Schools need to be toughert on discipline and looser about dress code.

Not sure if you were referring to my post... But I meant it from my schools point of view, it seemed fairly similar to shitty_saracen_rider's school regime. I never said it was a working theory, merely one that some schools use. Obviously not all schools work the same way... Some work in a way that other schools would think of as unacceptable, but still meet or beat these ones (like you just said).

Not sure if you were referring to my post... But I meant it from my schools point of view, it seemed fairly similar to shitty_saracen_rider's school regime. I never said it was a working theory, merely one that some schools use. Obviously not all schools work the same way... Some work in a way that other schools would think of as unacceptable, but still meet or beat these ones (like you just said).

Yeh, was talking bout what you said, I agree your right, but I think all schools should be like mine.

Exactly, engineering aint exactly a well paid job.

Phil.

Who told you that? Proffessional engineering in this country is a job that is needed. My uncle is one, what's that he works for £120k a year. That's well shit pay that is.

what.. you disagree with what im saying? explain why.

I disagree, because minorities get picked on. Chavs ain't hard in groups of more than 2 but they don't get picked on. And don't say they ain't scared, or else they'd go near the Urbis in Manchester.

Who told you that? Proffessional engineering in this country is a job that is needed. My uncle is one, what's that he works for £120k a year. That's well shit pay that is.

I disagree, because minorities get picked on. Chavs ain't hard in groups of more than 2 but they don't get picked on. And don't say they ain't scared, or else they'd go near the Urbis in Manchester.

£120K a year is at the most you can get out of an engineering job, the head engineer for Ford's commercial vehicle department is only on about £70k. And the average gradutate wage in engineering is now arounf the £17k mark.

I never said it was "shit" pay, just that it's not highly paid. Anyone at the top of their profession will get a very good wage, but that accounts for about 1% of the profession with the rest being on significantly less.

So don't go being sarcastic till you know all the facts...

£120K a year is at the most you can get out of an engineering job, the head engineer for Ford's commercial vehicle department is only on about £70k.  And the average gradutate wage in engineering is now arounf the £17k mark.

I never said it was "shit" pay, just that it's not highly paid.  Anyone at the top of their profession will get a very good wage, but that accounts for about 1% of the profession with the rest being on significantly less.

So don't go being sarcastic till you know all the facts...

So my uncle's wage isn't a fact. Ok then. But are we talking about technical engineering, proffessional engineering or working on the a production line engineering.

Oh another fact for you all my friend's dad was talking to me about engineering and he said he recently changed job and the company asked him what sort of salary he was looking for.

Edited by MrMonkey

So my uncle's wage isn't a fact. Ok then. But are we talking about technical engineering, proffessional engineering or working on the a production line engineering.

Oh another fact for you all my friend's dad was talking to me about engineering and he said he recently changed job and the company asked him what sort of salary he was looking for.

He's just saying that its not a highly paid job in general, and around £120k is the top-of-the-line sorta salary. When compared to lawyers, barristers etc. its not that well paid.

urbis in manchester? that means nothing to me. and it doesnt matter what you say, people who look vulnerable will get picked on moreso.

people who look vulnerable will get picked on moreso.

Hence why skinny "emo" kids with long hair, and tight jeans and zip up hoodys with died black hair will get picked on more than youre average "normal" kid. because they look different.

I dont care that your school is sexist to be honest, live with it >_< .