Upgrading Of New-members

Sam Nichols

I've just been reading through the topic in New Members regarding the validation process and I can't help but sympathise with the majority of good honest riders who want to join and use this forum in a respectful manner.

Now obviously we NEED to have the New Members section because, basically there are a lot of dickheads who just want to be a pain. This doesn't mean the system is flawless though.

The admin have enough things to do with making sure the Full Members aren't spamming the forum without having to keep an eye on the New Members too which is why I'd like to suggest a new idea...

New Members Mods.

Basically this can be one or two people who spend a decent amount of time on the forum (and who can be trusted obviously) to both keep an eye on the New Members and keep it a clean and pleasant place for the New Members that are waiting for upgrading but also are given the power to upgrade New Members who are deserving of joining the main forum.

If Danny and Tom prefer... the 'New Members Mods' could pm the admin to say who has been proving themselves within the New Members area and then the admin will do the upgrading... This should ultimately save Admins time and more importantly mean that the minority of idiots in the New Members Area don't spoil things for those who deserve to be accepted into the Main Forum.

There are too many people in the New Members area that are honest, friendly and NEED to be upgraded... unfortunately they are being missed due to the face that Admin have lives :)

Discuss? :(

What a brilliant idea!

This would give some chosen member a good responsibility and would save admins time!

I fully agree, there are alot of new members who know what there talking about and want to be helpful etc!

Great ideam just see what the admin think i suppose!

Rob :( :)

I think the idea is, you have to have administrator privelidge's to be able to upgrade people to full membership, hence the reason why only Tom and Danny do it.

i think alot of the senior's and Mod's already reccomend certain people in the NMC to the Admin, and the admin take it from there....

I see what you mean Fishwog.. but if you read through my post again you'll see that I mentioned the NM mods recommending people to the admin for upgrading... because obviously someone who is moderating a sub forum isn't going to be given the power of the whole forum too!

Also with regards to the recommendation in the senior members area... This wouldn't JUST be about upgrading but also about moderation to save time :(

Cheers for the comments though guys... nice to see some positive replies and constructive criticism.

Well, the reason less are being upgraded is because there's more of them at the moment. When I got upgraded there were so few people in the NMC it was easier to go through the posts etc. But now there's bucket loads of New Members most of whom are leaving as they think they've waited too long.

Yeah, that’s why I suppose it would need to work on a system whereby the NM mod would make a quick pm of member names to either Danny or Tom and then they would actually do the upgrading :(

I'm pretty sure I already answered this in my first post though :)

I think the idea is, you have to have administrator privelidge's to be able to upgrade people to full membership, hence the reason why only Tom and Danny do it.

i think alot of the senior's and Mod's already reccomend certain people in the NMC to the Admin, and  the admin take it from there....

Correct, there is, as has been said before in other topics of this nature, a thread in senior member chat where, seniors, mods etc can make recommendations and point out members that they feel are right for validation.

So essentially you have 30+ people to scan NMC which I'm sure will pick up more than a couple of dedicated 'mods' as you put it.

Any type of vetting system, whether it be for an internet forum or for a job will take time. I applied for a summer job working for Securicor down at the Dover Cruise terminal and their vetting process take about 5 months.

The tf system as it stands works, people get validated pretty frequently. Obviously some 'tards slip through the net and some people who deserve full membership are still waiting. Because this whole process is reliant on human input there will always be errors and until it can automated (which given the subjective nature will be almost impossible) these errors will persist. I'm not convinced that small changes will really make it any better...

In the mean time, if any members feel that there are people who deserve full membership in sure Tom and Danny would happy to recieve a heads-up (unless it gets out of hand with floods of PM's)

The problem is, who actually wants to spend time in there? It's f**king shit. I know with some tidying, it'd be better. I don't look at everything in the forum, just the stuff that looks interesting. Find me an interesting thread in NMC, I double dare you! It's not a bad idea if someone is actually willing to do. I think that Tom was actually planning on writing something to allow Mods to upgrade people from NMC to members.

Although some valid points have been made... I'm still not going to let it rest :(

I'm convinced that with a couple of dedicated, willing members to sort the problem out and keep the whole area tidy it could work and could make the forum a nicer place.

We have to bare in mind that potential good quality members are being lost as a result of waiting so long to be upgraded. As Tomm said 'who wants to spend their time in their? It's f**king shit..." how can you expect members to stick around in that type of area with the type of people that are in their?

Another point I'd like to raise... I know it's a new members area where anyone can and everyone is welcome etc - but why aren't some of the idiots (not gonna bother naming them, you all know who they are) banned? They are only in there to cause trouble and are spoiling it for those who are trying to get validated.

As has been said, I agree that there is no PERFECT system... But we can strive for one anyway :)

This is already in the works, as of about 4 days ago.

Moderators soon (well, already do, as soon as the skin is released) have the ability to validate members from their profile. Theres a 'validate this member' link which only mods/admins can see which should speed up the process no end (as at the moment I have to go into admin CP, login, find member, change member group and repeat... now its just 1 click, and 1 to confirm).

I'll speak to Danny about when this skin is due to be 'released' :(

That should be loads better having the mods to be able to validated. You want to get all the good people out of NM, as at the moment NM is more active that Trials chat.

NMC basically has all the forums of the "Members" boards all in one, meaning you've got Trials Chat, Chit Chat, For Sale (although not any more), Rides/Locations and to some extent News all in one forum, so theoretically it'll have 3-4x the amount of use, so it's not like it's surprising :P

This is already in the works, as of about 4 days ago.

Moderators soon (well, already do, as soon as the skin is released) have the ability to validate members from their profile. Theres a 'validate this member' link which only mods/admins can see which should speed up the process no end (as at the moment I have to go into admin CP, login, find member, change member group and repeat... now its just 1 click, and 1 to confirm).

I'll speak to Danny about when this skin is due to be 'released' :P

Who has coded that then?

Thought you couldn't do that until 2.1? Or you can't make a group to JUST be able to validate. Sounds good though :P

Who has coded that then?

Thought you couldn't do that until 2.1? Or you can't make a group to JUST be able to validate. Sounds good though :P

Its actually a modified 'quick ban' hack. I started writing my own module and when I was looking for some 'inspiration' I came across it and realised with a little bit of hacking it could do exactly what I wanted in alot less time. All it does is check your a mod/admin, check the person your trying to validate is a premember, then set their group to the members group in the DB - pretty simple :P

Its actually a modified 'quick ban' hack. I started writing my own module and when I was looking for some 'inspiration' I came across it and realised with a little bit of hacking it could do exactly what I wanted in alot less time. All it does is check your a mod/admin, check the person your trying to validate is a premember, then set their group to the members group in the DB - pretty simple :P

Ah sweet. Should of said way back, i would of had a bash at doing a hack.

Nice one for doing it though heh.

Pestering Danny isn't helping much either, as he isn't replying to my pestering to finish the new skin :P

That should be loads better having the mods to be able to validated. You want to get all the good people out of NM, as at the moment NM is more active that Trials chat.

Still depends on the mods actually going in there. Rather them than me, to be honest. Although it would make it a lot easier if everything was deleted like Mike said.