Pads

Nick Garland

Hey. I have been running a grind through winter due to the weather and its now summer again. I dont want to run a grind as Im getting a new wheel so I wil be running a smooth rim.

I have run RimJam blues on a grind and on a fresh grind they alsted about 1 week before they wore down completly (it was a harsh grind).

Which pads would you reccomend RimJam Reds, RimJam Blues or any others you have used ON A SMOOTH RIM WITHOUT TAR or ANYTHING ELSE. If I have to I will run tar but I would prefer not to.

Thanks

Nick

No grind, no tar. :unsure:

Anyway, go for Rj reds, or the zoo's. Softer the better.

but I think you'll put a bit of tar on, as braking on a clean rim is pants.

If your gonna run a very light grind then you have ground ur rim and thats that your not gonna get rid of the grind.

Why not put on a harsh grind and run some heatsinks or rimjam greens?

If your gonna run a smooth rim rimjam red or zoo .

Hope this helped.

Sam

Edited by samthebiker

If your gonna run a very light grind then you have ground ur rim and thats that your not gonna get rid of the grind.

Why not put on a harsh grind and run some heatsinks or rimjam greens?

If your gonna run a smooth rim rimjam red or zoo .

Hope this helped.

Sam

Read the feckin post!

CRM's...Smooth rim= (Y)

Zoo!'s are also mint on a smooth rim.

Tom :unsure:

Read the feckin post!

CRM's...Smooth rim= :D

Zoo!'s are also mint on a smooth rim.

Tom ;)

Bit of practice what you preach!

was thinking RimJam Reds but I might go for the blues and run a very very light grind.

If you are going to grind it at all why not just give it a nice harsh grind and get some koxx bloxx. Last forever with decent enough braking. Heatsinks are another choice if you can your hands on some.

If you plan on getting a new rim/wheel then your best bet would be zoo pads or rim jam reds ;)

Never actully tried rim jams myself but i have heard good things about them :D

I've used zoo pads on a grind and they made a nice little noise and had amazing lock and good bite :P :D

I run a smooth rim and quite frankly koxx blocks arent up to the job, so i went on the hunt for some decent pads on a smooth rim evrywhere i looked zoo came out on tops. I know i should grind my rim but i aint got a angle grinder(terrible excuse i know) also i am hoping that summer wont be a wet one so a grind wont be essential. Should be purchasing my zoo pads in the next couple of days just hope it makes a difference.

If you are going to grind it at all why not just give it a nice harsh grind and get some koxx bloxx. Last forever with decent enough braking. 

Listen to monsieur Brisa, he speaketh the truth, not like the rest of these liars*

*Liars = people with different opinion

They are expensive but I don't know about overpriced. They last a bloody long time, I run a new grind on an echo rim every 2-3 weeks just to be on the safe side. Koxx bloxx have barely worn any. Around 3 months old now.

Im having the same problem with getting new pads. At moment still using good ol' koolstop pads, had no problems whatsoever but they wearin out now after forever!

Got a Sun Mammoth rim with bit of tar, and by the sound of it either rimjam reds or zoo pads are best bet?

Need sum pretty urgently, so this advice better be quick/good/reliable :S

Ta

M@

Last year I was fine with CRM's on a perfectly smooth rim

Same again then? :S

I dig the feel of my Plazzies on the front of my mod; really nice lock and modulation. Was tempted to get some for the back, but I've gone for some lovely lovely X-Hydras again, at least 'til Steve starts Heatsink retail again...

i ran rimjam greens on a grind, must have been a medium to harsh grind or what ever. werent as harsh as it could have been.

anyways... i didnt really do any manuals or sort of rubbing the brake moves, only gaps, ups etc. even so they still wore down in less than a week :S .

i couldnt believe it to be honest.

the power they produced was good though and they made a real deep sort of sound. but for power to wear rate they werent very good at all.

so i wouldnt recommend them for a deep grind even though they are the hardest compound

im with zoojames,

the heatsink blue pads on a normal rim no grind would work immense, purely through the softness of the compound the lever may feel a tad soft but i dont think many people will have any problem with it, if you want a brake to work you have to sacrifice something..........to me the lever being spongy isnt really a problem you've just got to think that the pads lock on and feel great when they do, then its spongy cos the pads are so soft and working to hold your brake.

Waynio...............................

it never affected my riding when using the blue heatsink pads but when people got on my bike they noiced that it was spongy straight away? but isuppose if there used to a rock hard pair of pads its a different matter, at the most it would take you 5-10minutes to get used to. :) :S

1 katrillion or so...

So far, this year, I've gone through:

1 pair of yellow Batch B 'sinks (they were from last year, and had lasted quite a while though)

1 pair of green Batch B's

1 pair of X-Hydras

1 Plaz CRM

That's since the start of the year, running a grind...

1 katrillion or so...

So far, this year, I've gone through:

1 pair of yellow Batch B 'sinks (they were from last year, and had lasted quite a while though)

1 pair of green Batch B's

1 pair of X-Hydras

1 Plaz CRM

That's since the start of the year, running a grind...

Blimey thats inpressive to use that many ;)

I'm on some brown Koxx pads that have lasted well over a year on a lot of grinds with a lot of riding

Guess I don't drag my brake much :S

I manual.

Lots.

Oh, and live in a hilly-ish town, so that doesn't help.

The yellow B's had been going for a while, to be fair, as had the Hydras (they had about 3-4mm of pad material left, which I wore through). Also, some of those pads were on the front too; the Plazzies were.