My Braking Finger Hurts...

MadManMike

Right, I use one finger on my front magura HS33, and after about an hour my finger blisters in the joint.

I've tried plumbing tape (The bright red thin stuff) that worked for roughly 4 hours, but i'm just wondering what "everyday" stuff I might have laying around that could work?

Don't say gloves, i'mnot riding in the summer with gloves on.

Cheers :lol:

I get exactly the same thing, it sucks.

Was in halfords yesterday, and say like a lever pad thing, its by the pumps at the back of the shop in queens road. Might as well try it, its only like 2 quid :lol:

Looks like it slides over the lever, but it might not fit maguras, or might just be slippy as fook.

What about improving the brake's performance, so you dont have to pull so hard?

Yeah but, when for example you do a big gap or drop gap you grip the bars with your hands like fook so when you land you dont let go.

3 fingers on the bars isnt much really, all youve go on the actuall bars is your middle finger, your ring finger and little finger. Your middle and ring finger are both linked together so the muscle is shared between them (I was told) and your little finger has harldy and strength in it at all..

SO, if you grip the lever hard with your index finger aswell, that provides extra grippage.

My avid works pretty well, and I pull it so hard iv bent the caliper swing arm bit twice!

Sam ^did that make any sence :lol:

I get that on both braking fingers, used to it now though.

I dunno how to overcome it really, but those grip things for the levers are rubbish, unless you have long fingers. (mine made the levers massive)

Technique change would benefit you in that case :S And help prevent arm pump.

wtf is that? he he...made me giggle!

just dont use brakes!?

get some rubber tube and cram it on...might work....or try one of those cnc'd levers! :lol:

Just keep riding with it, I did and my hands have just gone hard, they hurt a bit sometimes but running them under water helps. Just keep it going, push through the pain :P I find gloves hurt more than bare hands now aswel :lol: weird I know!

James :S

What about improving the brake's performance, so you dont have to pull so hard?

My brake is setup perfectly mate...

Yeah i'll try halfords matey, i'll let you know :lol:

I do run my hands onder the tap, so soothing... I'd rather not have to though... My grips do it too, but it's not so painful on the palm of my hand... my finger really hurts...

Thanks for the suggestions...

My brake is setup perfectly mate...

What is the setup?

My mate has normal HS33 with koxx brown bloxx on a smooth rim, set up perfectly, and it makes my finger hurt after only a few seconds.

Im just saying that, even though it is set up perfectly, a slight tweak in the brake's constituent parts may be all your finger needs...

What is the setup?

My mate has normal HS33 with koxx brown bloxx on a smooth rim, set up perfectly, and it makes my finger hurt after only a few seconds.

Im just saying that, even though it is set up perfectly, a slight tweak in the brake's constituent parts may be all your finger needs...

You big wimp :S

I always used to have problems with my braking finger with my front maggy, since ive had a disc, its never hurt, so tarty may be right for once :lol:

You big wimp  :lol:

Haha :S Its the sort of thing you get used to though, I guess... just, like you, I have a nice disc, so I dont need to get used to the pain!

My first suggestion would be a smidge of tar, or a light grind... should improve performance noticeably.

I have the same problem, my fingers sometimes hurt on the joints on the inside.

Lizard skin do lever pads, which slide onto your brake levers, they are ok, but they take so long to get on, you have to use hairspray, so the instructions tell you.

What Magura lever you running? The old sqaure hs33 ones hurt, the newer rounded ones are ok but the new 05 ones feel like disk levers, they just go really quickly apparently! May be of some use though? Also loosen your TPA it might just be that!

James

the Halfords lever covers do fit on HS33 levers and they are foam so they dont get slippy. but i felt that they made the lever feel weird and that i didnt have as much feel over my brake. i only tried them as i found a spare one in the warehouse lol. so personally i wouldnt bother id go with the grin and bare it approch until your skin gets over it :lol:

or try tweaking your brake as suggested if you dont already have a grind or tar.

I'll try and adjust my brake tonight then and see if that helps at all... it's pretty sharp though already... I might try some tar too.

And i'm not a "big wimp" I just don't see the point in bringing pain to myself when it can be avoided. sure I could hack the pain, but why bother if you don't need to?

By the way, the old Maggy levers were great, the newer rounded ones are shite (Thats what i'm using) Not the 2005 ones, the next older model.. the old old model were so much more comfy.

Cheers for the ideas everyone :ermm:

A mate of mine puts an everyday elastoplast (fabric material) plaster on the end of the lever where he grabs it. It looks minging but works extremely well - far better than the 'proper' lever grips you can buy.

I've started using it myself after switching to a V from a disk (temporary, I hate V's) because I have the same trouble with soreness. Working mint at the moment :ermm:

Give it a go, it won't cost anything if you have some plasters laying around.

wtf is that? he he...made me giggle!

just dont use brakes!?

get some rubber tube and cram it on...might work....or try one of those cnc'd levers! :ermm:

Haha try racing downhill then you will know what arm pump is and its not nice.

Whopps quoted wrong person

Edited by Michael Hardman

I used to put a plaster on each lever with the spongy bit where my finger goes, but after a while i couldnt be bothered and got used to it. Now though i have a hope disc up front. Absolutely love the mini levers so i have no trouble :ermm: and a magura CNC lever which is a bit more comfortable.

just leave it and ride. i get it on my left finger (rear lever ) and just ride with it and its fine, hardly bothers me as my minds on biking :ermm:

Read the topic dammit. I COULD ride with it, but why? Why inflict pain on yourself???

It's easy enough to solve, so why deliberately mangle your finger?

Thanks for the replies guys, well the helpful ones anyway.

Mike