Bleeding With Water

colly

I have always used water apart from a VERY short spell over the winter. I thought I may put oil in to prevent freezing etc. went out riding, brake felt disgusting but I thought to myself, nah you'll get used to it. Nope after the next ride out came the oil and in went the water.

I also find it gives it a more solid lever feel... and yes I can bleed a brake properly.

Just use what it was designed for...

If water was better... I'm sure they would of designed them to use water.

I kind of agree with that. But they have to use something that will work in all conditions (I.e. the brake won't lock on for XC riders riding in -10 conditions or whatever), whereas for trials, water might be slightly better. Having said that, I used water for a while and I wouldn't have said it was better. Feels a bit different, but I'm back on Magura blue blood (Y)

I kind of agree with that.  But they have to use something that will work in all conditions (I.e. the brake won't lock on for XC riders riding in -10 conditions or whatever), whereas for trials, water might be slightly better.  Having said that, I used water for a while and I wouldn't have said it was better.  Feels a bit different, but I'm back on Magura blue blood (Y)

Same here, but my maggies are only 5 months old an i like the feel of them with the proper stuff in. I would only use water in a really old magura

i've used tsp water before, but i did it in the winter a few yrs back, and so it froze over night cos, my bike goes in my shed, if u do it in the summer it'llbe all good, the lever return is much better and the brake is more responsive. i use LHM plus (citreon mineral fluid), they sell it in halfords bout £6.50 for 1l where as magura blood for 1l is about £20 there both the same thickness.

water is fine.

everyone is always going to have a personal preference. It doesn't mean one thing is better than the other, the fact is water won't ruin your brake unless your some kinf of retard.

Use what you like.

water is an acidic level of 7 (neurtal) so it shouldn't corrode at all.

I know the whole motor thing got dropped but just as a note an engine puts a lot more force on the pistons than your index finger... so there should be no trouble using water.

I broke my cross over hose yesterday so i'm bleeding my brakes with water. Havn't tried it yet, hope it's good.

Edited by Dylan_