The 3 Door Problem - 2 Goats, 1 Car

haydon_peter

(your pick)door 1= car/goat/goat

(revealed)door 2=goat

door 3=car/goat

so door 1 is 1/3 chance to be a car

and door 3 is 1/2 chance to be a car

therefor you would seem stupid not to switch because probability shows that the car is most likely behind door 3

but since the door that is revealed has now been eliminated from the equation both door 1 and 3 have the same (50/50) chance of being the car

so it is 1/2 chance your right and 1/2 chanceyour wrong

now dont argue boys and girls cos i'm right and i know it

Well as long as you think you're right (Y)

I thought the whole point of this question was to show you not to jump to conclusions (ie The first guess of it being a 50-50 chance is wrong). Not "try and explain this to a million people." Never mind eh?

You're more likely to choose the goat in the initial situation (2/3 rather than 1/3 for the car) therefore you are more likely to get the car if you switch doors.... because the door you have already chosen is more likely to be a goat.

But the moral of the story is that maths is allways right, but this right answer does not allways represent whats happening... and this is the problem with mathematical probability, it doesnt apply to the individual situation at all....

For example, a doctor tells his patient he has to undergo life threataning heart surgery and explains that there is a 30% chance he'll make it and a 70% chance he'll not. The patient then asks, "am I in the 30% or the 70%".

I like thinking

Tom

Edited by Tom-ass

Yeah mate what you've said is right. But it's not the answer. The question was would you swap doors. And that is where the extra few steps come in. What you've done is taken a snapshot of the whole picture and worked out a couple of probabilities. But there is some extra information given the background of the situation. That is - the door you are likely to have chosen first off was more likely to have been the goat than the car. Geddit?

If i understand the question correctly, then you have to swap.

You open the first door, and its a goat, the host then opens a second door, and its another goat. Thats both the goats out of the picture, so if you swap, you are bound to get the car, as there is only one closed door.

You are gaurenteed(sp?) the car if you dont get it first time then swap.

If I am wrong, Peters initial explaination is crap.

If i understand the question correctly, then you have to swap.

You open the first door, and its a goat, the host then opens a second door, and its another goat. Thats both the goats out of the picture, so if you swap, you are bound to get the car, as there is only one closed door.

You are gaurenteed(sp?) the car if you dont get it first time then swap.

If I am wrong, Peters initial explaination is crap.

Read it you fool :)

The player chooses a door, he does not open it (Y)"

Yeah I thought that might be the case. So does the door you choose ever get opened?

What a load of f**king crap

There's no need to swear just because you dont get it... It doesnt do you any favours. Each to their own though I guess.

I rate this topic :ermm: ... anyone got any more of this sort of thing?

Tom

i think it goes something like this...

your first choices are on the left, your option to stick/change is the middle and the outcome is on the right proving you should always change because....

goat - stick = goat

- change = car

goat - stick = goat

- change = car

car - stick = car

- change = goat

as you can see, statistically if you change your choice you have a 2in3 chance of winning the car (right hand row, across from change, 2 out of the 3 show car) where as if you stick you only have a 1in3 chance (right row again across from stick, 1 of the 3 gives you a car)

if this is not clear enough i could draw it and scan it in but i feel that would be a little excesive for this...

:ermm:

Edited by spunkey_monkey_boy

mathematically i'm right but realistically its still a 50/50 when your down to the last 2 doors...
No, chances are the first guess was wrong, so you should swap. It's because the door you have already chosen is likely to not be the one with the car.

someone work out the overall probability, its been years since i did multiplication of fractions... 1/3 x 1/2 = ???

1/6

I believe the overal chance of winning the car is 1/2, if the chance that you decide to swap is 1/2. Haha

Just swap for god's sake :ermm:

• 9 months later...

right, i get this, as i am very clever! (Y) but the rule is not always correct, just because you are more likely to get a goat on your first pick, doesnt always mean you will!! a bigger chance doesnt mean a certanty!

joE!