Hope Pro 4 SS Vs Pro 5

craigjames

I'm looking at replacing my old Echo Sl Ti freewheel with a 135mm bolted freehub. I've been considering either a Hope Pro4 SS or a Pro 5, are there any real reliability or performance issues with either hub? I've seen that there were a few problems with both models when they were first released, but lots of people seem to use them with their Crewkerz frames, just not heard of any recent/long term issues.

i'd love an I9 or a Chris King, but one is too cost is the main reason for discounting these options.

You are right, there are problems with both hubs. Some riders even do not want to ride Hope anymore (e.g. Yohan Triboulat).
But I never encountered a problem with my Hope IV SS (I had 3 different hubs).

I saw quite a few used Hope Pro V recently to sell that came back from warranty.

Charlie Rolls seems happy with his two hubs.
Difficult to get a clear picture of the reliability.

Some I9 had also issues.

My current assumption is that the frame stiffness, how the wheel is laced and how powerful the rider is play a big role in the reliability

• Like 1

I know you're asking about Hope hubs, but if you're looking for a bolt-on 135, I've had great luck with TMS's freehub. It's only 72 poe, but it's 302g and it's been bulletproof for over 2 years now. Not sure how Brexit shipping is, but the hub is 169 euros. I've recently built up a new Ozonys 20" and needed a 12x135 so went with a Hope 5. So far so good.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, La Bourde said:

You are right, there are problems with both hubs. Some riders even do not want to ride Hope anymore (e.g. Yohan Triboulat).
But I never encountered a problem with my Hope IV SS (I had 3 different hubs).

I saw quite a few used Hope Pro V recently to sell that came back from warranty.

Charlie Rolls seems happy with his two hubs.
Difficult to get a clear picture of the reliability.

Some I9 had also issues.

My current assumption is that the frame stiffness, how the wheel is laced and how powerful the rider is play a big role in the reliability

I did see that Hope have released an update to the Pro 5 to resolve some of the issues. I guess all parts are going to have problems to a degree.

At least Hope's warranty is pretty good.

8 hours ago, Swoofty said:

I know you're asking about Hope hubs, but if you're looking for a bolt-on 135, I've had great luck with TMS's freehub. It's only 72 poe, but it's 302g and it's been bulletproof for over 2 years now. Not sure how Brexit shipping is, but the hub is 169 euros. I've recently built up a new Ozonys 20" and needed a 12x135 so went with a Hope 5. So far so good.

I'd not seen the TMS hub to be honest, it's light for a rear freehub that's for sure. Interesting, although not as being as a Hope 🤣