Foot pain whilst trackstanding

Scoville

Not sure if this is technique/fitness or shoe/pedal combination.  Having just started out on trials I'm having to adapt to standing on the pedals all the time rather than sitting in the saddle most of the time.  When I'm practicing track stands the hotspots on pressure on my feet really start to ache.  Is this just a adaptation that needs to build up over time?

I'm currently riding in some well worn (pretty much end of life in fact) Rebook Gortex trail shoes so I'm not averse to spending out on some new footwear.  Fiveten Trailcross seem to be well liked as a do-it-all shoe, worth a look?

Yes it happens, I adapted to some degree, but it can still happen. I didn't go down the stiffer shoes route as I still need to feel the pedals while riding trials (I'm not a well accomplished trials rider). I need to stop to catch my breath and wait for heart rate to fall after a try or two on a line anyway so feet get a rest then. I usually just get whatever oldschool waffle-grip Vans are on sale.

I think the issue is related to the sole being not stiff enough, as pointed out by marg26.

I had sometimes some kinds of cramps at my arch when I rode a lot with skate shoes. I think the issue was worse with very concave pedals (DMR v6) too.

Now I ride bike specific shoes (currently some Pearl Izumi X-alp flow) and since then I do not have the problem anymore.

Vans and shoes with vulcanized soles (not sure it is the right word) are terrible, no lateral stiffness at all and no damping, I do not recommend them. I had some crashes involving quite a lot of force on the heel, so it is not a bad idea to have some cushion there.

• Like 1

It may be your foot's fault - it's too weak. It is worth rolling your foot and strengthening it.
This happens to me when my 5.10 freerider shoes start to wear out. A new shoe and the problem disappears.
The shape and size of the pedals also matter. I do not recommend small pedals or concave ones.

5 hours ago, Szymon said:

It may be your foot's fault - it's too weak. It is worth rolling your foot and strengthening it.
This happens to me when my 5.10 freerider shoes start to wear out. A new shoe and the problem disappears.
The shape and size of the pedals also matter. I do not recommend small pedals or concave ones.

By the way i had same problem with my 5-10 freerider but in reverse,foot stop been sored when shoe is wearing out.I never ride trial shoes but eould like to try on.

Cheers for the replies all.  I did another session today and I suspect this is a form/technique issue.  I'm really clenching all my muscles (including my feet) on the bike whilst I'm learning to balance and I think all that tension is, at least in part, contributing to the pain.  When I focus on loosening up a bit it's much better.  I underestimated just how exhausting even the basics of trials are.  A few 10 min sessions barely moving have me sweating.  I went for a run afterwards just to relax into something easier!

I've always had the same issue with caged pedals, small platforms with concave shape, large outer area pedals with "thin/spindly" platform part so the gaps between the axle and the cage are larger; pedals where the material around the axle is higher than the cage, all seem to hurt my feet eventually.

Try a set of DMR V12s. These seem to be really comfortable and a best of all worlds if you get the lighter Mag versions. 

I've got a set of Nukeproof Neutrons on the bike currently and, on sight at least, they don't look a bad shape for trials.  That said I have a pair of V8s on my old commuter so might swap them over as now you've mentioned it, they are one of the most comfortable pedals I've ridden.