UCI World Cup in Cordon

La Bourde

F**king annoying that this the level of UCI Trials World Championships in terms of coverage with all that set up.

Can't imagine the crowd reaction of the last rider in the 20" men's elite when he nailed that monster gap especially when the previous rider face planted it. Still Kudos to Shindig providing the commentary. One of the commentators sounds like Andrei Burton, but clearly wasn't when AB showed up on the Livestream comments section.

Curious to how much money was involved in this set up and given the poor camera work and set up, no audio. 

Hard to believe that this is a 2024 World Championship event. 

Edited by Rusevelt

2 hours ago, Rusevelt said:

F**king annoying that this the level of UCI Trials World Championships in terms of coverage with all that set up.

Can't imagine the crowd reaction of the last rider in the 20" men's elite when he nailed that monster gap especially when the previous rider face planted it. Still Kudos to Shindig providing the commentary. One of the commentators sounds like Andrei Burton, but clearly wasn't when AB showed up on the Livestream comments section.

Curious to how much money was involved in this set up and given the poor camera work and set up, no audio. 

Hard to believe that this is a 2024 World Championship event. 

That is just France, I live 1 hour from the event, and didn't bother goint to it. Trials comps are boring anyway nowadays...

Edited by Canardweb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Canardweb said:

That is just France, I live 1 hour from the event, and didn't bother goint to it. Trials comps are boring anyway nowadays...

To be fair at least you would have enjoyed a better spectacle in terms of viewing the event. You just can't appreciate the scale of some of the bigger stuff on camera as it was so crap and you would have experienced the atmosphere in terms of cheers and boos of the observers dishing out 5 for some of the harshest of penalities some of them I couldn't see because of the camera work. 

One would have thought UCI would pay to get Gilles or Giacomo Coustellier involved in this hosting such events especially being former world champs.

The whole event just seems a bit disjointed nowadays. Cycling world championships was another sh*t show with zero coverage of the trials comp event in Glasgow.

@Chakers1998 yeah it certainly seems to be heading in that direction. 

9 hours ago, Rusevelt said:

To be fair at least you would have enjoyed a better spectacle in terms of viewing the event. You just can't appreciate the scale of some of the bigger stuff on camera as it was so crap and you would have experienced the atmosphere in terms of cheers and boos of the observers dishing out 5 for some of the harshest of penalities some of them I couldn't see because of the camera work. 

One would have thought UCI would pay to get Gilles or Giacomo Coustellier involved in this hosting such events especially being former world champs.

The whole event just seems a bit disjointed nowadays. Cycling world championships was another sh*t show with zero coverage of the trials comp event in Glasgow.

@Chakers1998 yeah it certainly seems to be heading in that direction. 

Well, seems you don't know Gilles and Giaco, and how the UCI and them are not friends... I couldn't bother driving there and see riders climb up obstacles and get down using the same technique over and over again with zero difference within riders. 

• Like 1

I've attended in person & watched on TV this style of trials comp and can categorically state that watching it on the TV is 100% better than being there in person in terms of being able to see what's going on. People who say they cant see anything on the TV - hahaha. Try being 5'8" and being 4 deep in sweaty Europeans. Was that a 5? Dunno mate...

Granted there is still some dodgy Eurotrash angles going on...Maybe Rusewho could do a better job?

• Like 3

Yes, thanks to Shin Dig to film the competition and all what they do.

In their podcast today, they said they want to improve the coverage, to make it more professional (better filming, explaining rules better, more info on the screen, etc).

I agree it will make things better, but I think this is not the real issue.

To me, Canardweb is right: the current competition format is just boring. And as long as the format does not change, I guess the audience will not grow.

I recall being in 2004 at the world championship in Les Gets with my parents and sister. They are not into sport at all.

We saw 4x, downhill, a little of cross country and trials. My whole family enjoyed watching DH, 4x and XC. But trials ... they did not understand the rules (that were much easier back then), they saw only a part of each rider run, they did not understand the current ranking, etc. They stated something like  "you get impressed the 5 first minutes and then you realize you can't understand the racing"

Even when we watched on the TV some competition, they never enjoyed trials. But a downhill race, they appreciate. We watched several world cups together.

So the current format is not appropriate for a broad audience.

And with the new rules and the new obstacles, it is even for a passionate guy like me quite boring. Go up, go down, go up, go down... and always the same moves.
A gate could be much more creative: e.g. force the pro to do the same move on the same obstacle from both sides, repeat the same move

Also some obstacles just suck:

1. The audience shall be able to relate to the obstacles. Back in the days, the zones used the environment, like a bridge, some stairs, a bench, etc. And that was really good because people can relate to that. When you have pile of logs, some concrete walls, how do you know how high it is really? Now if you a litter bin, a car, a fire hydrant, people know these things. Having natural elements makes it also less human build and people relate more to that (as they cross the river during their last hiking in the Alps or when they ride their enduro bike).
  2. The audience shall not think the course is specially built for the event: if it is the case, the audience thinks that the obstacles lay this way to make it easier to ride. Do not forget, the broad audience knows nothing about trials...

I think the track walk is a great addition, but still, during the show, it is difficult to the see the gate, the tape and so on. So basically the audience is not really involved.

Really, as a comparaison, just look at the last DH world cup in Loudenvielle
https://tiz-cycling.io/video/mtb-dhi-world-cup-2024-6-loudenvielle-full-race/

It is much more breathtaking that trials ...

And I don't want to start the comparaison between the videos in street/trials and the bmx ones ...

PS: if someone from Shindig wants more feedback, -> PM. I will be glad to help!