What to do? Broken Hope Mini again

adamc04

Hi everyone,

Bit of a mishap earlier, attached a photo of the aftermath..

20240910_160950.thumb.jpg.ba2321fea98b7917935f53d7ee972d74.jpg

This brake was off my Orange 5, it's a Mono Mini 2007. I've had the lever pop out like this before and have fixed it. I don't know if it actually hit anything when I fell or not. Minor problem is, the brass washer (HBSP104) is bent a little bit. I may have a spare new one hidden somewhere at work but not sure. Or be able to straighten it with pliers. Also, I'm wary of using this lever for trials if this is going to keep happening, I don't want to mess up the groove that the circlip sits in by having it pop out all the time (if that makes sense) because that's just a bit of a waste of a lever. Also my riding style is best described as "clumsy, a bit rubbish" and it might be there's a better option for me.

So,
Option 1 - new Trial Zone lever, 
Tartybikes have one about the same age in stock for £107, anyone have any experience with this? I'm led to believe it would work fine with this caliper, can anyone verify or dispute this? I have loved the feel of this brake and I would stump up for this lever if it's going to be nice. Also, can this lever hold up to fairly rubbish trials riding (many crashes) or is it similar to my current one in terms of durability?

Option 2 - Fix this one again and Hope for the best (see what I did there?)

Option 3 - get like an Avid BB7 or something. Could sell this pair of brakes (anyone want them? have a rear as well)

Many thanks
Adam

Have you tried contacting Hope for either parts or a service? I don't know what they are like these days, as it was probably about 15 years ago... but I had the best customer service experience with them. I got in touch with them after I cracked a brake caliper. Even after I told them that I bought the brake second hand and obviously had no warranty, they insisted that I send it to them and replaced the caliper free of charge!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 8:14 PM, Mikee said:

Have you tried contacting Hope for either parts or a service? I don't know what they are like these days, as it was probably about 15 years ago... but I had the best customer service experience with them. I got in touch with them after I cracked a brake caliper. Even after I told them that I bought the brake second hand and obviously had no warranty, they insisted that I send it to them and replaced the caliper free of charge!

That's really good to hear! They have been really helpful with me when trying to find parts as well, even just over the phone I have only had positive experiences. These brakes were seized when I got them and they still had every spare part I needed, and the diagram to help rebuild them. Potential problem for me is having to pay shipping far outweighing the value of one tiny washer and maybe like a circlip but whatever, such is life

On 9/12/2024 at 2:58 PM, DYAKOV said:

Quick Facebook marketplace search shows these, I’m sure there will be others. Any of them compatible?

IMG_7675.thumb.png.f37253ef13f9dc5558c81a863078ef06.pngIMG_7676.thumb.png.cb0593cdd5441bdc69ee930cf4e5cef7.pngIMG_7677.thumb.png.2ed961f7beec94e7dd7c7ccbc7936e56.pngIMG_7678.thumb.png.526f9edcddba1255f8dda425f74342e8.png

They look interesting, wonder how that Avid/Hope one feels! Could definitely find a whole replacement lever if I looked, thanks.

Sorry I never replied to these, ended up getting a Sram Level to just throw on in the meantime, works just as well for now. Will fix the Hope one in my own time and probably use it on a bike I'm not crashing on as much. Thanks for the advice guys