How to protect my bum from breaking tailbone when falling?

marekdam1

Hi from Poland! I'm new here and new to trials/street. Training it was my childhood dream but back then I was too scared to try and too poor to get another smaller bike for tricks. Now I'm 32 and have Polygon Trid with bigger gear in the back (yes, I know it's not trial bike per se) and I'm starting out. My trackstand got realy good after just 3 days so I'm hyped as hell. Tried unweighting front wheel and get it up today, which goes kind of good (super fatiguing after a while lol). What I'm concerned about is obviously falling on my a-s-s and potentially breaking my tail bone. How do you guys protect your bum from that? Is it even possible to neutralize that kind of force when you fall with your whole weight and hit concrete?

I suppose it's smart to learn jumping back off a bike before that happens but there may be times where it's just not possible I guess.

Any help would be great, thanks!

I suggest you just try to not worry about it too much.

Your body's instincts are very strong. If you start to tip off the back, you will instinctively want to step off. If you progress with just a little caution then your reactions will learn how to save you from that type of crash, and each time you save yourself the habit will get better.
Of course, sometimes there's nothing you can do and you do just land straight on your bum. It doesn't happen often, but it can. Sometimes you can just walk it off, but other times it will hurt a lot. Even if it hurts a lot, your tailbone is VERY strong. Whilst it can break, I've never heard of it happening on a trials bike.

Are you particularly worried because your rear brake is not very good? That would be a good reason to replace it. But if the brake is good for you, just keep practicing and don't try to get too adventurous too fast and you will be fine :)

I'll wager everyone on this forum has had a crash like this at some point - some of them light and some of them heavy. It happens, and it hurts, but 99% you will not break your tailbone.

Enjoy!

• Like 1