What Echo is that?

Hello there,i was offered an Echo  bike in good condition but i am not familiar with geometry etc. on this one.As a man who never ride this kind of bike ( i really want to try to learn some moves on stock one) i just wondering would it be good choice for beginner?The rear brake does not have brake booster(has Magura HS33) which is good or bad thing?Also previous owner run long stem but i am not very tall (165cm.),so what stem do i need,if i have to change it(i think i have to)?

P.S.The attached pictures shows the bike(the owner did send them to me).

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

IMG_0350.webp

IMG_0349.webp

Hi,

I guess it is an Echo pure MKII.

I found following geometry data:

- Wheelbase: 1085mm
- Chainstays: 380mm
- BB Height: +55mm
- Head Angle: 72°
- Reach: 655mm
- Frame Spacing: 135mm

Ali C. recommends to use a brake booster with the frame (it seems to be the mk1, that hat strain gauge tubes afaik)

The stem looks really long...

I think it is a good bike to start riding stock.

Quite modern geometry.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you,La Bourde

I also thought that might be a Pure one but did not know what MK is.The stem definitely would be changed but i do not know what size might be and that is problem.I hope so someone here would make a suggestion about.The rear brake is HS33 on smooth rim and i have never ride Magura before so i do not know what to expect.Some people says that does not hold like vee's but have more bites.Would see.I am not sure about this Kenda tyre on the back is good or not.Never ride Kenda.

If you have some thoughts to share about parts,please do it.Thank you for your time.

Edited by basstrials

I personally don't like the Kenda K Rad at all. I would rather ride a Maxxis Holy Roller. I had a few Kenda tyres (in XC, 4X, Dirt) and even on a street/trial, I did not like them. Too narrow, not so grippy. The small block eight was OK though.

Regarding the stem, I will go for a shorter one for sure. The stem on this bike looks like a 20" stem, around 160mm long or even more. I guess you can first try a 130mm long stem with some rise or even less if you want to tilt your bar forward (but there are not so many options around 100mm/110mm)

According to me, Magura can hold very well if the whole system is not to stiff. Else, a liminal release of the lever affects the hold.
If the rims are smooth but you have dedicated brakepads, you should be good, as long as the rims stay dry.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah,La Bourde,these Kenda's are so-so,i am going to change them.Bike is in good condition but the stem is quite long 165/25.I have ordered 145/25 which is closer to original one (which is 150/30) to see how it is.I also have one 120/20 so have to try which one is better for me (i am 165cm. tall).Frame is long , wheelbase is 1080 so i guess bunnyhoping would be very hard.I am not liking handlebar so i think to chage it but i do not know what back and sweep angles are.Any suggestion for brand and model?The frame has noticeable flex around rear brake mounts so i have ordered Echo two bolts booster.The brakes are Echo TR,i never have such ones so i do not know what to expect.

La Bourde,any suggestion about the handlebar?

Thank you.

Edited by basstrials

You can forget to bunny up that bike. It is a comp bike and even if its possinle a pedal hop is much less effort. Even with a 120x20 and a riser bar, that won't be easy...But I recommend a bar with riser in combination with the shorter stem, so that you can adjust how far and high your hands are.

Try with 120mm first. 

Having a bar far ahead from the front axle helps a lot for some comp trial specific moves, but I don't know if your riding is based on them or not.

As I started comp trials back a few years ago, I could only execute a few front moves. A longer stem and a bar tilt forward was more of disadvantage back then.

But now I can do more front move and I see more the benefit of a bar far ahead.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes,they looks nice.I really would love to have one Zoo as well but it is not possible.Who knows,maybe Echo will start make them again.

La Bourde,i put 145/30 stem and now feel the bike more naturally somehow, still have pressure on my palms but it is little and i am jot that stretched so much.Despite this i would like to try 125mm one.I did try to lift front end like for the bunnyhop (just for the record 😀) but it is weights a ton,so i have to chnge my technique and use pedals more.This Jitsie handlebar is nice one but the Echo one that was on bike initially is good also,so i would swap them up to see wgich one is more suitable.So about stem length,i know it is strongly individual but what is the effect ot tve length of the stem when doing backhops?Which one is better for the hand positioning?Or maybe would affect front moves,like front pivot,endo etc. more?

And La Bourde,once more,when i try to make backhop should i have to start make hops immediately or when i loose balance point?I will make video of myself trying some moves to get corrected.

Have a nice time.

Edited by basstrials

Basically the longer and the lower the stem, the easier and less effort one required to stay on the back wheel.

But lifting the front wheel is more difficult then. Even with pedaling it can get tricky to stay precise.

For a beginner, I think it makes more send to ride a shorter stem first.

A longer lower stem put more load on the front wheel. It can be nicer on some moves, if you have already the mobility required.

E.g. pivot on the front wheel, up to front, etc. can become easier.

Regarding backhops: can you already pedal kick?

You have to start to hop as soon as you loose balance.

I try learn backhop using quarter strock of my leading foot from trackstand(both directions on the front wheel )to lift front wheel but i can not feel the balance point, successful  a few times but most of time not.Usually i falling forward and sometimes to left -lol.I can not do it from rocking.Maybe i did not ask my question rightly,i should try to hop after reaching balance point or do i started before this?

Have to make video of myself these days,could be easier.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by basstrials