Nose manual up stairs not on BMX?

marg26

I've only seen clips of people on BMXs doing nose manuals up steps, wondered why nobody on bigger wheeled bikes seems to have done it, that I'm aware of.  I would have thought BMX due to wheel size would be the last thing to try this on, it looks all sorts of wrong, or is it just because it's so small it's easier to manage?

Any of you lot giving it a go on trials bikes?

I'd immediately assume it's got a lot to do with only BMXers really caring about nose manuals.
They're just not really a useable thing in other disciplines, unless you're intentionally riding in a style not intended for the bike you're on. (Edit: I'm excluding those fixie bikes for what I can only call "dancing" - don't know what they're called - because... well.... psssssssssssshhhhhhhhtt.)

There are VERY few names on the list of trials riders who actually do nose manuals rather than well-controlled stoppies.
Nose manualling up stairs is f**king bonkers, but doing a stoppie up steps I would argue could be even harder!

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

I could be wrong here, but I would think bmx wheels are actually better for this. Between the psi they can run and the ratio of tire height to wheel size. I think how in the auto world stupid big rims and rubber band tires are more likely to be destroyed or at least flatted by potholes and curbs and such (though it could also be the "skill" of drivers with that setup). Also its a speedy move and trials is not (I know street trials is a bit different).

On 1/7/2024 at 8:55 PM, aener said:

here are VERY few names on the list of trials riders who actually do nose manuals rather than well-controlled stoppies.

Ah I really hadn't considered that distinction between nose manual and well controlled stoppies. Danny? Ali? amonst them or others?

Here's another BMX thing I've not seen a trials rider do... fakie over a picnic bench!

(clip from 2019)

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1_TBYFuz-a/

5 hours ago, marg26 said:

Ah I really hadn't considered that distinction between nose manual and well controlled stoppies. Danny? Ali? amonst them or others 

I’ve dabbled with brakeless nose manuals but never got them dialled. My front wheel action is purely a stoppie