Inspired Hex custom build 2

James.Parr

After the rear hub gave up on me on the Barcelona trip I thought it’s time to give her a makeover whilst the rear wheel was getting re built. Weight coming in at about 9.3kg. apart from titanium bolts no where else I’d really want to save much more weight. 

237FE620-1D55-4BFF-9EB7-3CE7FDB4C741.jpeg

EE48E5E1-04C5-4858-BC3E-01204A15B48D.jpeg

6D7D9686-60F5-4345-B4D9-AE25AFF95193.jpeg

84F03128-6653-4D36-B2B9-C6A22E08BF5E.jpeg

993F23F6-EC99-4816-BB53-38BC5C2DFD9D.jpeg

06EC3A18-9C78-483E-9F2D-B73DE4E63292.jpeg

• Like 10

• 1 year later...
On 10/9/2024 at 9:30 PM, trialscrab said:

Hey James, can you share what you did to get the weight down on your Hex? Thanks!

Pretty standard components . My tensioner is a custom made 3D printed one I created. It was set up tubeless and the tyres helped too! Plastic pedals combined with cranks with an aluminium axle is good. Maguras are really lightweight brakes too. My new set up is heavier but is the best I’ve had so far 

IMG_3791.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, La Bourde said:

I think the light bicycles rims combined to tubeless billy bonkers saved a lot of weight.

The combo seat is also many hundred gramms lighter than a pivotal or tripod one,  for only a few bucks.

You will need to install a tubeless insert on the rear with that tire. Otherwise you will be hitting the rim very easily. 

I have no idea how mine weighs barely below 9.9kg and yours is 9.3kg. 

My Barzo tires weigh in at 700 grams each and your Billy Bonkers weight ~580 grams each (per Tarty). That only makes a difference for ~240 grams for both tires. I have a Rimpact insert that weighs 90 grams, so all together i should have ~350 grams more in the wheels. You have your custom tensioner whereas mine is a stock Inspired one. But I doubt the weight difference would be that much. 

But I have Canecreek Eewing cranks, Stamp 11 Ti pedals, E6 BMX one piece seat with shaved off post (weighs 94 grams), and 7 inch rotors instead of 8 inch rotors on your Hex. 

I can't even think of anywhere else I would save weight other than if I went with carbon forks, carbon handlebar which would change the geometry too. 

20241011_155427.jpg

20241011_155431.jpg

20240711_120947.thumb.jpg.914f39b33b325f4d20ad093b76dfef24.jpg

Edited by Sam Song

3 hours ago, La Bourde said:

As Sam Song noticed, I think that James's bike weights more than the measured 9,3kg. His scale is surely off.

9,3kg is really light for a street trials.

@Sam Song: what about titanium screws? It does not make a huge difference though.

Everything is titanium except for brake bolts (by choice, for extra peace of mind).

So with a pretty much maxed out Hex build, I am still barely below 10kg, which is pretty impressive but still heavier than what others are posting. 

3 hours ago, Sam Song said:

Everything is titanium except for brake bolts (by choice, for extra peace of mind).

So with a pretty much maxed out Hex build, I am still barely below 10kg, which is pretty impressive but still heavier than what others are posting. 

How about carbo fork & handlebar? Extention's street fork is available separately AFAIK.

1 hour ago, SergeL said:

How about carbo fork & handlebar? Extention's street fork is available separately AFAIK.

Extention is a shady company to deal with. I talked to them via Facebook asking to buy a fork from them directly and never heard back after them telling me they would get back to me. 

Their fork will make the head angle a bit steeper and the bike a bit shorter. I find the current geo with the Inspired fork to be a good mix between street and trials. I am not sure I want to make it streetier with the Extention fork. 

Lastly, I really shouldn't make any complaints about my Hex. Hahaha 

The bike is more than good enough and light enough in reality. It is entirely my shortcoming for not making the moves I can't do on that Hex. 

Edited by Sam Song

4 hours ago, Szymon said:

Magura brakes are about 100g lighter then others. Maybe more.

Spokes? Double butted + alu nipples = -100g

OEM chain tansioner + longer chain is probalby 30g hevier.

Spokes are cx rays and nipples are aluminum already.

I don't think the difference between the disc brakes is that much. 

Tarty quotes Hope trials brake weight at 289 grams and Magura MT7 weight at 277 grams. That's barely more than 10 grams difference in weight. 

13 hours ago, Szymon said:

You're right, they weigh similarly.

My fourplay weighs 9.15kg. I don't have carbon parts or titanium cranks.

Hex on carbon rims may weigh the same.

I think as stated by @La Bourde, it is likely that your scale is off. As 9.15kg would be very light for street trials. 

A standard Fourplay Team build weighs 10.38kg. Are the parts that different from the Team build to make for 1.2kg worth of weight difference without carbon or titanium parts?

https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/24_inch_trials_bikes/inspired_fourplay_team_2023/c50p14124.html?pos=4586.22216796875&search_params=YTo4OntzOjg6ImluX3N0b2NrIjtpOjA7czoxMjoiY2F0ZWdvcnlfaWRzIjthOjE6e2k6MDtzOjI6IjUwIjt9czoxNjoiY2F0ZWdvcnlfcmVjdXJzZSI7YjoxO3M6ODoia2V5d29yZHMiO3M6MDoiIjtzOjk6ImJyYW5kX2lkcyI7TjtzOjQ6Im1vZGUiO3M6MzoiYWxsIjtzOjQ6InNvcnQiO3M6OToicHJpY2VfYXNjIjtzOjEwOiJjb3VudHJ5X2lkIjtzOjI6IjQxIjt9

Edited by Sam Song