Best budget tyres

Mikee

What are the best tyres these days that don't cost a small fortune? I used to mainly ride street and currently have holy rollers. The guys I am riding with now, ride rocks mainly and the holy rollers aren't doing so well. 

26" wheels. 

Edited by Mikee

Kenda small block on the front is cheap and an "ok" tire.  Not the best compound, no good for anything wet, slippery, or loose.  But for Dry urban and rocks it'll do.

Rear is a bit trickier.  Conti's are stupid expensive.  If you can find a Kenda Nevegal or Blue groove in a  "stick-e" compound they are decent, and should be cheaper.

What about the "Der Baron 2.3"? Has Apex inserts and Black Chili compound and is a folding tyre. Isn't too expensive either.

Edit: Just don't know whether 3/180 (Ply/TPI) is good enough. A "Der Kaiser" has 6/360.

Edited by niconj

Oh, lots of different opinions. I used to use high rollers, but that was so long ago that I can't remember what they were like.

4 hours ago, lifes-a-trial said:

Ask the lads you are riding with?

They both use tyres that I can't get for 26" wheels. Like myself, they know the obvious, expensive ones. But there is so much choice at the cheaper end of the scale, that it gets a bit confusing.

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised by my HolyRoller on the back of my Echo 24. My High Roller feels dead weight in comparison but the grip is insane. 

That said I bought a used TryAll lite for my old Rockman Slate and loved it. Perfect tyre for me. 

Don't bother with single ply on the rear. You'll spend more time and effort than its worth changing tubes and regrinding rims because the tyre rubber has f**ked your brakes.

For the sake of saving a few pennies, do you really want to compromise the enjoyment you have on the bike? Running a shite rear tyre that's going to A, pinch. B, fold. C, not grip. D, just be generally balls - Total waste of time.

Downhillers are worse than trials riders when it comes to changing parts. You can pick up a used once Der Kaiser from Pink Bike for £20. Look out for the Der K, Projekt 2.4 versions though. I gave one a try for a while and it didn't perform as well as the normal Der K 2.5. The 2.4 would squirm on rocks then when I upped the pressure the tyre had no bounce and felt dead. Put the 2.5 on and I don't even have to worry about off camber surfaces etc..

As for a front tyre. I use a 2.2 Race King Supersonic. Very light, and what counts most of all for me is the tyre volume. Its a big 2.2. I don't know how people ride with front Try all/Crewkerz tyres. They're just too narrow for me.

• Like 1

these guys are pretty competitive on conti's; just shy of £40 for an absurdly high performance tyre that should last you a couple of seasons isn't bad at all. i'm using a der-baron and i'm astounded by how well it grips and resists punctures. you want the techy exensive ones. i'm with ross on this; makes no sense to skimp on tyres.

3 hours ago, ogre said:

these guys are pretty competitive on conti's; just shy of £40 for an absurdly high performance tyre that should last you a couple of seasons isn't bad at all. i'm using a der-baron and i'm astounded by how well it grips and resists punctures. you want the techy exensive ones. i'm with ross on this; makes no sense to skimp on tyres.

Which baron do you have? I just got myself a Der Baron Projekt as a replacement tyre for my Try-All sticky light.

Edited by niconj

You persuaded me @Ross McArthur. I bought a second hand Der Kaiser with around half it's tread left on ebay for £15 posted. I then realised that there are 2 different compounds. Hopefully I got the black chilli, but it will still be better than what I have if it isn't.

Just need to worry about the front tyre now. Although I may put the front off for a while, as I have spent too much money this month.

4 hours ago, ogre said:

i believe it's the 'normal' premium one; it doesn't have extra projekt goodness. it's probably 2-3 years old

Well, since it's 3 years old, it's the 2.3 wired version. The new project came out this year if I'm not mistaken. Will get it today and go out and ride. It's raining/snowing over here so this should be a good testing ground. :)

Well, since it's 3 years old, it's the 2.3 wired version. The new project came out this year if I'm not mistaken. Will get it today and go out and ride. It's raining/snowing over here so this should be a good testing ground. :)

I haven't heard good things about the Baron projekt. Too flimsy a sidewall from what I've heard. Interested to hear how you like it.Does it have apex inserts?

Edited by cwtrials
  • Like 1

I haven't heard good things about the Baron projekt. Too flimsy a sidewall from what I've heard. Interested to hear how you like it.Does it have apex inserts?

It does. It's pretty much like the Trials Queen that has been around a couple years ago. Black Chili Compound, Apex inserts... 

Weighs 913gr.

Edited by niconj

It does. It's pretty much like the Trials Queen that has been around a couple years ago. Black Chili Compound, Apex inserts... 

Weighs 913gr.

Ok. Sound good then. Might be good for lighter riders. I have a trial Queen and don't use it. If I lost 20 lbs might like it better.

Might try it anyway.

I'm not on the light side either but run adequate tyre pressure. The funny thing is that my level of riding doesn't even let me feel much of a difference in tyres. I just wanted to spend money on something and 50€ aren't too bad. For the front I got the tyre Ross mentioned. Cost me 20€ and my front tyre really needs replacing. 

• Like 1

When you think about it... Continental is $$$$ ... But I had two flats in 4 years of one kaiser, if I had a shit tire I would've gotten way more flats... More tubes = more $$$ over the years, plus the frustration of having a shit tire would probably lead me to drown my sorrows in a bottle of nice whisky. Then whilst drunk I would spend money on other stupid things.

as for front tire I've got the kenda nevegal on my street and comp bike, fairly cheap and totally groovy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25. April 2016 at 9:34 AM, Ross McArthur said:

The 2.4 would squirm on rocks then when I upped the pressure the tyre had no bounce and felt dead. Put the 2.5 on and I don't even have to worry about off camber surfaces etc..

Well... I've had a go on the Baron Projekt BCC. At 29psi it feels like the Try All Sticky Light at 23. On rocks it feels kinda weird as it pushes you into a direction you don't always want to go. I dunno how to explain it but with the Try All I would jump onto a rock and would stay in the position I landed in; the Baron on the other hand, tries to be in its standard position resulting in turning you around quite a bit sometimes. I don't know whether this is due to the side knobs being that prominent... 

It has a lot of bounce though but it feels awkward off camber.

The Race King Super Sonic has more grip than the High Roller ST I had before but it seems that it moves on the rim resulting in my valve being in a crooked position.