Pad play/wobble/rocking Saint 810 vs. 820

niconj

As I will go rear disc soon I'm wondering if there is any difference in pad play/wobble/rocking between the 810 caliper and the 820 caliper. I read that some people. were complaining about the 820 being too "loose" but don't know whether this is also the case for the older caliper.

The reason I'm asking is that I can get a Zee brake cheaper than a single 810 caliper and since the Zee has the same caliper as the Saint 820 I'd just be changing the lever to an 810 one as I've done on my front brake.

On the front my brake is superb but I can immagine that pad play/wobble/rocking on the back can be a real pain in the ass.

Edited by niconj

810 calipers have the same problem. I tried different solutions to fix this problem (tape, sanding back of the pads, different pads) but nothing really helps. I guess I'll have the live with it. The power they deliver is amazing though!

Good to know. I'll get the Zee then and put a Saint 810 lever to it.

Hopefully this help's.

• I found that the newer style calipers perform better than the older style calipers after having one for a fair amount of time before moving back to a older style caliper (Due to cracking the newer style caliper) I have also bought a zee caliper so I can go back to the newer style.
  • I only notice pad rock when I am sat on my back wheel rocking with the brake on and that only happens when I don't pull the lever in very hard.
  • I also found that sanding the pads down caused the pads to make noise when they do rock, and that the azonic pads that tarty sell have a really nice rear of the pad backing that makes it very grippy to stop pad rock!
  • Like 1

You could use tape on the pin that goes through the pads to try and stop them from moving that way, Again I found the Aztak pads to be pretty good that way too.

I would say wheel flex is a bigger negative in terms of Disc brakes.