Which is safer? King hub or an Echo SL freewheel?

Sam Song

Some time :P They did a ratchet ring switcheroo so they've got a 40 tooth ratchet now instead of the 24 tooth ones before. Both Danny and Ali are running them in the Inspired in Barca video to give you an idea of how long they've been around...

is this something that can be done to a regular 48 click pro 2 t?

The thing that seems weird about discounting the Hope because it's got "pawls that can break" is that the Echo has "pawls that can break" that are smaller than the ones in the Hope hubs. The Hope pawls are serious business - I've chipped tiny bits of the tips of them off through wear before, but that's been it really. Even with that light damage they still work absolutely fine.

You should check out AndyT's post on OTN about swapping from his King to a Hope. He was a die-hard King fan but switched to a new Hope hub and loves it. The engagement point thing isn't even an issue any more with the new 80-click ones.

I've seen how hope make the pawls, it's the same machine that we use at work to cut diamond tips for planer blocks. Trust me when I say they are strong as f**k. If they release the new bmx hub with a 12t driver, I'll be on it like a dose of rabies. No question

• Like 2

I really dislike the new SLs. People can claim they haven't changed over time but they reallllly have in terms of quality. Been on too many group rides where people's new SLs have shat their outer ring to pieces.

Hate to be that guy who claims that old stuff was better but from what I've seen, it's true. I have zero confidence in my "newish" SL it just feels different compared to my one from 2011.

yeah i was about to do a reasonable drop off then my outer of my echo sl freewheel that id'd fitted the night before snapped into 4 pieces'

change to a tensile (think it's a 60 click) and honestly can't fault it. hasn't skipped or anything

is this something that can be done to a regular 48 click pro 2 t?

Think you need the hub shell and a new axle unless it's a Pro 2 Evo. I did price it up but was a while ago.

EDIT:Actually, if you've got an older Pro 2 I think you'd need new bearings for the axle as well, or you could unscrew the ratchet ring from the 40 click and fit it to your older hub?

You can use pro 2 and evo hub body's will fit either of the axles bearings or freehub body's.

the evo hub only changed the axle outer diameter on the freehub bearings, and the bearings on the freehub from 6802-6902 size bearings and the freehub body made to fit those bearings too.

so so long as you are running a pro 2 hub evo or not you can buy a hub shell and upgrade

the only other thing i have noticed was a change in the shape of the pawls from rounded backs to flat backs. I am not Shure if they changed for the 80 tooth. Maybe Adam will know

Edited by dezmtber

bj bought one at tarty days on the first day, broke same day

To add a bit of extra important detail - it got full of water, so got rusty and some of the pawls stuck down. We didn't have the time to repair it so replaced it instead. Nothing 'broke' it was just a lack of maintenance (which is obviously difficult when you are in a field!).

• Like 4

To add a bit of extra important detail - it got full of water, so got rusty and some of the pawls stuck down. We didn't have the time to repair it so replaced it instead. Nothing 'broke' it was just a lack of maintenance (which is obviously difficult when you are in a field!).

but would you expect a hope or chris king to do that, just because it was raining?

just to clarify bj is brad johnson