Whats your Career/Job?

trials owns

I then have a second dream job as a chocolate taster.

Work in an auction house where we sell things that get lost in the post..... Stuff gets real interesting!

That's absolutely epic!

I thought stuff like that only happened in really weird dreams where you wake up in the morning and force yourself back to sleep to complete them. I did that the other day and stayed in bed until 1.30pm haha. I didn't wee myself either which was cool.

Cool!

What's the best thing you've had there? And also the most expensive?

Really expensive stuff happens less because we also ebay some of the stuff to get a decent price but we sold a doll about a month back, Japanese girl motioning pouring tea for about £6000. Best thing is hard to say, getting suitcases is crazy because sometimes someones whole life can be in there, we had a blatant fraudsters case once with different names on ID's but the same photo. Some of the bikes that come through are pretty special too.

The auction world is full of crazy characters though and thats the best part I think, I'm the only one who really likes working the FOH part of it so know pretty much everything.

Theres alot of money to be made too if you are sensible with what you buy because it is still pretty untapped. I'll throw up a catalogue if anyone is interested?

• Like 2

at the moment

Electrical enginnering at college. half boring half interesting

Interpreter at a major transport company. I get minimumwage, but hey its money

Learning everything about computers. As much as I can. I love them, I would like to open my PC shop somewhere warm

Programming: I have some great idea and I want to see if they can produce some money

Left school with only two "real" gcse's (I don't count anything lower than a C a proper pass, B in physics and C in chemistry. Did the zenos thing and got my mcdst, a+, n+ etc. Worked in a shitty bike shop for 2-3years, then in a bar and now In maplin as a sales advisor. Turning 21 soon and really ought to look into a career.

I lefft school at 16 and managed to get an apprenticeship as a mechanical technician with oil company Aker Solutions. I'm mainly at college for the first year where I will get my HNC in mechanic engineering but i enjoy it! It's a great company to work for, they treat you very well and we often get team building days out go-karting and other activities which is awesome! The pay is very good for a first year apprentice and there are so many opportunities within the company for when I finish my apprenticeship.

That's absolutely epic!

I thought stuff like that only happened in really weird dreams where you wake up in the morning and force yourself back to sleep to complete them.

I do still wonder how the hell I got that job. Pays well and loads of perks too, although it is tougher than it sounds.

at the moment

Electrical enginnering at college. half boring half interesting

Interpreter at a major transport company. I get minimumwage, but hey its money

Learning everything about computers. As much as I can. I love them, I would like to open my PC shop somewhere warm

Programming: I have some great idea and I want to see if they can produce some money

Not sure how old you are but from my experience I wanted to do the same with the PC side of things; but I got bored with the 'hardware' side of things really quickly.

I wanted to setup a business doing repairs for the home users, but what held me back was the ever reducing cost of laptops in the retail market - I'm sure people will quote macs at me and top spec laptops, but generally these devices are becoming disposable, but now the market is turning towards mobile computing, in business and home, and therefore I feel that the days of the home laptop user are numbered.

I started out wanting to fix laptops and PCs, but where do you go from there? No room for improving your skill set in my honest opinion.

In my current workplace, a laptop breaks - buy another one or get it on a 3 year warranty.

A server breaks, we have a care plan so HP come and fix it for us.

Laptop playing up - we have a server which installs everything for us automatically, plug it in and leave it. It all comes down to cost reduction and time saving. So in the end me stripping a laptop down to replace a motherboard is not a good use of my time or the companies time - so we crush it and buy another.

I'm not putting your dreams down there, as much as It may sound that way, I guess it you're after happiness go for it, if you're after making a lot of money, I'd rethink if a bit.

Been at cnc machining for the last 6 years making parts for offshore side of things bops ect. Cant complain really east money and pays well. Done some edgecam and part modeller work also and plenty of different machines and controls. Mazak integrexs heidenhain and fanuc controlled machines milling and turning.

Offline programming u can pretty much make anything pretty cool to see.

Edited by greg1040
  • Like 1

Used to work as a Furniture refinisher working on kitchen doors, end panels, cabinets, furniture and the sort. The guy I worked for lost a lotta money and I got dropped to part time/when there's work so I took the opportunity to go semi self employed as a cabinet maker. There wasn't enough work from my old employer so I left and started working at my dads auto factors whilst I carried on trying to push my own work.

I was offered a sick job a few days ago working on shop repairs for Halifax, Lloyds tsb, Next, Primark etc all over europe. Such a sick job but it's a little pay cut plus it means working every bank holiday, most Sundays and nights. Sooooo don't know what to do..

I did really well at GCSE. I then went to college for two years and sucked at a levels while at the same time getting a job in a classic car body shop. It was fascinating at times and i got to drive/work on some awesome machines but it was quite laborious and it was a small private business and the owner was old and uptight constantly. I ended up going back to college to redo some tests and left the body shop a few months in to concentrate on that. Ended up doing crap again at college but got into uni to do automotive engineering at Sheffield Hallam but deferred my entry there for a year.

I got myself a job at decathlon on cycles and in the workshop last summer and have loved it, the money is crap and my hours are unpredictable but I love it and the people there and I also get to do deliveries occasionally which pay well. As well as there a few months ago I got myself a job behind a bar at a reputable traditional style pub which I too enjoy doing.

The plan now is to enjoy myself for a year or two while not having any major commitments or overheads and then really crack on with earning some real money, I 'd like to be self employed, exactly what doing I'm unsure but I have plenty of time to decide and I've sacked off the idea of going to uni cause I don't think it's going to benefit me overall.

I'm an engineering geologist / geotechnical engineer.

• Went to uni, just turned 18
  • Finished uni
  • Sent 10 CVs out
  • Went for my first interview
  • Got the job, started 2 months after university final exams
  • Been there 4.5 years

I make sure your house, the roads you drive on, the wind turbines and solar parks you see, the bridges you drive over and the office you work in doesn't fall over or subside. Also make sure you arn't living or working on contaminated ground.