Carbon forks, and bonding ally insert

chris H

I have some try all carbons with a jaf insert/extender. The forks have seen no more than six hours of riding when to my shock the insert has started to release it's self. It wasn't enough to just remove it, I had to stick in in a vice and realy force it to come out. As far as I'm aware it was expoyd in, would anyone recommend any other bonding agents that could potentially be even harder? I know there is liquid metal and have witnessed it set, amazing stuff. Any help or tips is much appreciated.

Hard one to state, epoxy by its nature isn't particularly flexible, the steerer tube of the forks on the other hand is. Anything epoxied in there is likely to break loose eventually because it isn't actually bonded into the carbon itself. You could re-epoxy it with some araldite or similar but the same thing is likely to happen again. What area of the extender had been bonded? Possible that is was only partially stuck which would cause it to fail much faster.

Loctite Henkel also recommended an application fit adhesive for bonding Carbon fibre to aluminium, this adhesive is Loctite Hysol 9461, this adhesive is a two part epoxy resin mixed at a 1:1 ratio and provides excellent peel strength, excellent tensile shear strength, impact and fatigue resistance, has a medium working life and curing can be accelerated with heat. But bonds most to a greater strength when left to cure at room temperature, full cure time is 3 days at 22 degree C but should be left for 7 days if going to be exposed to the elements. Maximum thickness for this epoxy resin is 3mm,

I was looking at bonding carbon tubes to aluminium last year and Henkel recommended this stuff

http://www.henkel.co.uk/2838_UKE_HTML.htm?countryCode=uke&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=1000000J8K7

Yeh, it's dreadful, very poorly designed. The actual extension it's self is crap. I would like to to try and make full steel insert that runs right to the bottom of the steerer tube. Anybody want to point me in the right direction? Any tips?

After seeing the pics.. ash, dave and hiphop have all got a very good point. Is there any ally around where the bottom bearing sits? Maybe get a longer extention made to go all the way down, with a spotlessly clean knurled or fluted bit to use henkel on?

*too slow

Edited by f**megently

Yeh, it's dreadful, very poorly designed. The actual extension it's self is crap. I would like to to try and make full steel insert that runs right to the bottom of the steerer tube. Anybody want to point me in the right direction? Any tips?

if you've got a vernier, whack up some dimentions, ill get you a price. Unless some kind soul on here can do it for free ;) Edited by f**megently