Trials Evolution.

BradJohnson

I've been wanting a comp geo bike with a seat for a while now, thought I'd get laughed out of town if I suggested it.....a bike like that needs to exist

Out of interest, why? It's not like you'd be able to sit down and pedal properly or anything?

Not wanting to cause an argument btw, just solely interested :)

Out of interest, why? It's not like you'd be able to sit down and pedal properly or anything?

Not wanting to cause an argument btw, just solely interested :)

Because "Where is your seat?" and "With that special bike, I could do that easily.".

And because a saddle makes a bike look more complete and well-proportioned, magically.

that is basically why i´ve been going for a usable seattube on my frame,with +50bb and other geo factors going in the "more trialsy" direction(wheelbase is pretty short with 1030 though) others would´ve been going for seatless,i thought it´d look weird,a bicycle has a seat imo

came in handy a few times now,saved my jewels a few times,the surface of a saddle is spreading impacts way better that the surface of a steel tube,too

that koxx looks promising,maybe they bring...oh wait ;)

Edited by FamilyBiker

On topic - my predictions:

Tech:

- Carbon frames, forks, hubs, handlebars, stems standard for the comps in 2-3 years

- TI bolts as standard for comp parts

- Some MTB wheelset technology - straight spokes, for example

- AS30 and splined freewheels and sprockets as standard (FFS, hurry with this)

- A new take on making plazmatic coating cheaper and standard

Geo & Styles:

- We will see 29ers. Most likely for a more relaxed rolling trials style.

- 29 street bikes with heavy influence from the subculture of those hipster kids doing tricks on their fixies in the Reichshauptstadt nowadays.

- 26 replaced by 650b as a modest adaptation to increased average body height, with oversized stock comp bikes with 29 wheels in a more distant future.

- Brakeless is here to stay, especially with 29 rolling-style trials bikes.

Hopes & Wishes:

- Drum brakes - no wet slippage, no bent disks

- No dress codes, no heavy commercialization.

- Tweels like the Britek MTB protos

- Proper brand names

are there companies trying out different wheelsize?

I saw someone here from Onza, maybe they can drop a hint that yes or no

I think bikes for a while are going to be lighter only. For example Monty M5, would you imagine a few years ago, that there will be a bike with a carbon frame and around 7kg? And that bike is not that special, it still has 2 wheels and cranks, it is "just" lighter

yeah, tireless tires, with those funny plastic system

maybe suspensions/spring frames? there were some guys, who tried to make a flexible frame. that seems promising, no other moving parts, but it helps you. with carbon that would be killer.

but for cons, take a look at 1900s drawning of 2000. maybe there will be only a bunch of guys crying that everyone is looking for seats, and bikes that break no time, from super expensive material.(insert irony here)

to be honest, I don't feel the difference on bikes like ours. I think the tubes are so short that you don't really get the same "flex" as you do in say an XC bike where they have quite long skinny tubes. To me the advantage of steel is just in the strength (and looks). I do often ride bikes with brake levers mis-aligned and the stem pointing off at a slight angle so I might not be one to talk really.

• Like 2

I really hope someone finds a way to incorporate giant springs into trials bikes, that will be amazing.

Personally, I would love to see an air spring catapult option on the rear stays (like you would push a button during the final stage of your extention and a suspension-like compressed gas-piston would bounce down the articulated chainstay to further boost the jump)

But maybe the whole set up would only compensate for the extra weight.

Jitsie mentioned electric motors to add extra humpff for run ups etc... like a convergence of motor and bike trials...

The electric trials motorcycles are approx the weight of the ice ones, 60-70 kilos.

With future Li-Air batteries, the weight could come down another 5-10 kilos, so

perhaps we will see a 50 kilos trials motorcycle by 2025.

Then, i.e. with decent batteries, I could see a full-suspension trials pedelec below 15 or 13 kilos or so,

which would create another class of trials riding.

BTW, to nurture the hatred for 29ers - the 29er MTB pedelec:

damen_mtb_pedelec_haibike_eq_xduro.jpg?l

Isn't it cute?

Soon, we will all be riding this, just seatless. In frenchie spandex trousers, sporting Gilles-style long hair and pink alice bands.

• Like 1

to be honest this kind of thing doesnt bear thinking about. living in the now is where its at. bikes have evolved over the last 5-6 years in such a way thats mean my riding style doesnt work on a new school bike i no im old and stuck in my ways though :(. this may be the case for some of u younger guys in another 6 years when i will have probably stopped riding trials and be an XC boy full time. As for some of the suggestions about springs in the frames and stuff like that, mmmm really? i would love nothing more than for it to go back to the days when it wasnt as serious and people could take the piss out of themselve like then ashton/hawes and rob warner days when all dissaplins rode together at the same time and just mucked around. doesnt happen anymore with trials being such a niche area. just have fun on your bike, dont worry bout tomorrow just today :)

Does it really matter? Bikes nowadays seem to be evolving quite slowly. For example in the last year or two bmx handlebars have gotten bigger. That's only a small change, Bmxs are relatively the same as they were 10 years ago accept minior changes here and there. Most of Those changes only really involved saving weight is well.So in my opinion a big change like the one above seem unlikely to happen, at least not for a good few years. Then again I could be completely wrong as I am new to trials.:)

Edited by butterztrials123