crazy weight saving

edwards 99

i dont understand why you lot are all so quick to slate, surely a bike that weights less and rides like how he wants to will ride nicer then a bike that weights more? if i had the money i would defo ride a lighter bike, it just feels nicer.

i dont understand why you lot are all so quick to slate, surely a bike that weights less and rides like how he wants to will ride nicer then a bike that weights more? if i had the money i would defo ride a lighter bike, it just feels nicer

post-25560-0-22714900-1365717615_thumb.j

Edited by onza pro series guy

if you're worrying about 200 grams of weight and you can't sidehop bar height you need to to take a step back and look at yourself.

the bike you ride should in no way represent your level of riding, anyone can spend their cash on/modify what they want. you're saying even a beginner shouldn't go and buy a top spec sky with carbon/ti goodies if that's what they want? granted it might be a 'waste' given their ability, but its not your money they'd be spending...

• Like 2

the bike you ride should in no way represent your level of riding, anyone can spend their cash on/modify what they want. you're saying even a beginner shouldn't go and buy a top spec sky with carbon/ti goodies if that's what they want? granted it might be a 'waste' given their ability, but its not your money they'd be spending...

But in my head, the reason I ride trials is because I want to be a good trials rider. having a nice trials bike isn't much of an accomplishment because they aren't very versatile at all. I understand spending money on a nice road bike or mountain bike if you want to spend your money on something, because then you can still use it just to look nice and be comfortable on.

either way, people are still gunna buy nice things whether it agrees with my opinion or not. I just thought i'd state what I think, and anyone else can state what they think.

• Like 1

But in my head, the reason I ride trials is because I want to be a good trials rider. having a nice trials bike isn't much of an accomplishment because they aren't very versatile at all. I understand spending money on a nice road bike or mountain bike if you want to spend your money on something, because then you can still use it just to look nice and be comfortable on.

either way, people are still gunna buy nice things whether it agrees with my opinion or not. I just thought i'd state what I think, and anyone else can state what they think.

we have a polar opposite approach to trials, i'm remotely better than shit and ride to stop me getting fat and decrepit rather than to good at it as it's the only sport i can enjoy/be arsed doing without getting bored after 10mins of it. i'd rather have a nice bike than a ropey shit one personally, i'd also spend my cash the other way around to how you would haha.

but everyone's different and i was in no way suggesting that you shouldn't have an opinion...maybe i was secretly offended at the fact i'm shit and have carbons on my rig :)

Edited by trials hoe

A light bike doesn't mean a nice bike. I've got a bike I'd classify as light, and a heavy bike. I think both are nice. :)

i wasn't saying a heavy bike is going to be ropey and shit, it was in reference to dr stix saying he'd rather spend more money on an mtb/roadie than a trials bike :P imo a bike you spent as little money on as you possibly could is more likely to feel that way (granted a well maintained bike will always feel nice to ride)

• Like 1

I have a mental erection for green parts (Which george hates) i ride trials because i love the sport and enjoy riding my bike. If they go out and buy a comp bike and snap it in two weeks then its their problem. I have been told many times (george again) that i shouldnt get carbon bars and such because learning on a hevier bike will make me a better rider overall. Buy what you like or build it how you like. Andy Ball side hopped to rear every bike on the recent ride, including my mates Onza Bird, AKA Concrete.

If i were you, ild buy parts to suit your style more, not to make it lighter.

Thats my opinion.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

BAHHH!

do people realise like 100 gram wont make ANY difference, get to gym!

weigh yourself daily and my bet is your bodyweight will fluctuate by around 3/4pounds. if your that bothered like carl said, take a poo :)

in all seriousness though, the ony thing id maybe do is front rim/front tyre tube combo.

• Like 1

Saying 100 grams makes absolutely no difference is pretty much the same as saying 10 trips to the gym makes absolutely no difference, and thus it's not worth doing - and I'm pretty sure you'll disagree with that.

The difference is usually small (though I personally feel dropping 100 grams on a front tyre, or forks, or changing from a freehub to fixed and FFW ((though the latter is more to do with distribution, admittedly)) makes a very notable difference), but if you want to make improvements and you can afford it then it's definitely worth doing.

Doing a poo makes very little difference as it's the weight of the bike that counts, not the rider/combined weight. The weight of the bike matters more since once you've jumped the height necessary you have to drag the damned thing up with you. A bigger difference would be made by wearing shorts instead of jeans - which is something I also personally feel makes a difference (but again, that could be more to do with range of movement than weight).

• Like 1

Doing a poo makes very little difference as it's the weight of the bike that counts, not the rider/combined weight. The weight of the bike matters more since once you've jumped the height necessary you have to drag the damned thing up with you. A bigger difference would be made by wearing shorts instead of jeans - which is something I also personally feel makes a difference (but again, that could be more to do with range of movement than weight).

its not, its the combined weight, hence power to weight ratio (Y)

• Like 1

A bigger difference would be made by wearing shorts instead of jeans - which is something I also personally feel makes a difference (but again, that could be more to do with range of movement than weight).

I might have to make the switch soon. My jeans were great in the winter as there thick but when they get a bit sweaty the range of movement isn't great.

It just sucks switching. Need to learn how to avoid the pedals again >_<

In all honesty I was joking about the poo. I just think people who maybe aren't doing lots of comps and still trying to get the technique of moves down focus too much on the bikes weight but your right that if they can afford it then why not.

I'd feel more confident on a light high end bike than I would on a 10kg old school mission. I'm sure my self and countless other forum members would like to see a video of you doing this comparison

Do you have anything positive to put on this forum? Everything i see you post is just trolling someone.

Really? :blink:

I'd feel more confident on a light high end bike than I would on a 10kg old school mission. I'm sure my self and countless other forum members would like to see a video of you doing this comparison

Comparsion of what? You wanna buy me lightweight bike? Feel free then...I know I wouldn´t trust anything light on my bike besides tubes lol. Million topics from people concerned about their carbon bars snaping/flexing/moving in the stem, that screams confidence...Geez some people just lack common sense these days. Ride what you want, I don´t give a feck, just don´t spread this lighweight=confidence bs.

• Like 1

I feel every little upgrade and weight difference I make. 200 grams makes a difference.

A lighter bike is easier to move around, whether you can sidehop over bar height or not. And a bike that you love, where every part is chosen by you after how YOU want it. is surely funnier and better to ride. I think that riding becomes a tad funnier when you have new parts or even a new bike, so why not own a bike you enjoy riding? Just because your riding level doesn't match the bikes spec.
Riding should be for fun.

Changing from my mates koxx sky 3 (weighted 7,8 kilos) to my Neon bow (Around 8.5-9 kg) I could tell a big difference.
I didn't trust his bike for big gaps at all, just couldn't trust those superlight parts. But when riding natty or just "normal" street riding I could tell a big difference. Weight does matter, and if you like your bike light, then go for it!

get to the gym!

This. I've been doing more gym work in the last 6 months, and I've maybe only been to an actual gym three/four times, with most of it being resistance work at home or running. My riding has come on leaps and bounds, I've improved more in the last couple of months than all of last year. I know my strength has played a huge part in this, so yeah doing 30 mins of gym work a day at home is a lot more worth while than spending your hard earned cash on a new titanium bolt or the like. Edited by shercofray