Confidence problem.

williams

Hey everyone!

I've had 2 more serious crashes under a week in January. The last injury where serious and I had to have crutches for 4 weeks, and then recover for 2-3 weeks.. I'm pretty much back in shape now, physically but definetely not mentally.

I still have problems with my confidence on the bigger moves I managed to do in November.. Or pretty much any move to be fair. Which is a real pain in the arse to ride with. It's like I see the chances of falling of more than the chances to make it...

Surely, someone on here must have had the same problem? Any tips?

yep, I broke my foot back in 2011 and that took a lot to get over both physically and mentally.

I think the best thing is just ride as much as possible. You're fortunate that it's not coming to summer so you can get out more. when I did my foot I missed all my summer and only got back riding again in winter which limited how much I could get out making my recovery longer. The more you can ride the more you'll be comfortable with you're abilities. Don't rush things, go at your own pace and you'll see your confidence and ability improve.

Edit: snaked

This is a natural response of your mind to try to protect you, I say go with it and ease off the big moves for a bit. Progression in these sort of sports is about pushing yourself as hard as you can without getting injured. If you have had a lot of injuries in a short period of time you are pushing too hard, take less risks for now and then gradually work up to it. Less haste more speed, relax and enjoy. (But still ride a lot)

Just think about how time/ progression your injuries cost you if you find it difficult to back off.

I hope that makes sense...

This is a natural response of your mind to try to protect you, I say go with it and ease off the big moves for a bit. Progression in these sort of sports is about pushing yourself as hard as you can without getting injured. If you have had a lot of injuries in a short period of time you are pushing too hard, take less risks for now and then gradually work up to it. Less haste more speed, relax and enjoy. (But still ride a lot)

Just think about how time/ progression your injuries cost you if you find it difficult to back off.

you are ryan leech of this forum man!

yep, I broke my foot back in 2011 and that took a lot to get over both physically and mentally.

I think the best thing is just ride as much as possible. You're fortunate that it's not coming to summer so you can get out more. when I did my foot I missed all my summer and only got back riding again in winter which limited how much I could get out making my recovery longer. The more you can ride the more you'll be comfortable with you're abilities. Don't rush things, go at your own pace and you'll see your confidence and ability improve.

Edit: snaked

Yeah I had a ankle problem aswell. This is like the first week I can 'seriously ride' (Because of Swedens lovely snow from november too april). Good to hear that I'm not the only one then.

Cheers! :)

Yeah I'm taking a pretty calm comeback, but it really puts me off going up to the big gaps etc I used to do, and not being able to do them because my mind telling me that I can't while I know that I'm capable of doing them.. But yeah I had a period where I pushed my riding to much, and forgot to have fun. And cheers, appreciate it :)

I haven't even had an injury and my confidence is still shit because of a long break, even though I've been back riding for long enough that I should be over it. I know the feeling of looking at something and never doing it because you're thinking of the fail rather than believing in your ability. It sucks.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get over it!

I've recently become a lot more confident, and a lot more 'bashy'. I've bailed SO many times I've lost count, in these 2 days in Leeds I've bailed at least 30 times.

Just learn to bail well and it makes you more confident (Y), that and learning to trust your bike. Most accidents happen when you don't commit.

Edited by JMCD
  • Like 1

I haven't even had an injury and my confidence is still shit because of a long break, even though I've been back riding for long enough that I should be over it. I know the feeling of looking at something and never doing it because you're thinking of the fail rather than believing in your ability. It sucks.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get over it!

Yeah, it's both a injury and being of the bike for me. And the feeling of looking at something big (for me) that you've managed to do before and you can't do it at all, sucks...

Cheers man, and good luck to you aswell! We just need to get used to it all again :)

I've recently become a lot more confident, and a lot more 'bashy'. I've bailed SO many times I've lost count, in these 2 days in Leeds I've bailed at least 30 times.

Just learn to bail well and it makes you more confident (Y), that and learning to trust your bike. Most accidents happen when you don't commit.

Yeah I think that when I actually bail I get more confident somehow.. So as mentioned, I have to ride a lot so I get used to bailing and completing moves :)

And I think that I don't fully trust my bike after these injuries aswell... :)

I broke my ankle last year and I've had to work hard to regain confidence and skills; ensuring my bike is in good condition is crucial. New chains frequently and regular checking of components is crucial. Other than that progress at a rate your comfortable with and practise in a low risk way; pallets for gaps. No skinny walls. Just give yourself every advantage you can. Wear a helmet if you dont already too