Stem Help.

SamKidney

Ok so this is where I'm at.

Currently riding an Echo 24" with a 165x35* tarty forged stem and Try-All elite bars (Ones with the small logo on the left side, almost plain)

Feels great for easy two wheeled control, going up to front, gapping to front etc. because I dont have to lean right over the bars to stick them.

However, other static moves to the rear wheel seems to be a chore....

Its static moves in general really. I love sidehops, sides to rear and shit like that. The length of the stem it seems makes getting the rear wheel forward underneath me enough on up to rears is limited, and screwing up the way I tuck/twist for a sidehop.

The obvious thing to do would be to get a shorter stem.

I've tried one, a 150x30, and I detested it, but could it be my bars? They have a very weird feel to them. If I have them upright there is loads of backsweep, which I dont like, but if I roll them forwards I dont like them much either. They are ridiculously wide too. Id cut them down, but theyre my brothers.

So, what can I do to change it up and make it feel sweeter all round? Im getting fed up of not having it how I ideally want it, which ultimately puts me off riding it.

Maybe I should have bought a mod/stock instead. At least on those I know what feels right for me.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

I had them on with the 165 stem when I first built it, and the reach was far too long with the rise.

Haven't tried them with the 150x30, but then I'd assume the high rise would make it equivalent to my low rise try-alls in the 165, or would I be wrong?

running a 165x35 on mine and it feels great (with rockman bars 13*up 9*back) rolled quite far forward by my standards, have you tried rolling your bars further forward? made the world of difference with mine feel wise, guessing it would look a bit wacky with the back sweep of the elites. mine feel too narrow at 730mm : was thinking about the tryall's as an upgrade.

have thought about the tt high rise with a 150 stem myself. think the reach would be about the same with a slightly lower bar height, nothing a few spacers couldn't sort.

have thought about the tt high rise with a 150 stem myself. think the reach would be about the same with a slightly lower bar height, nothing a few spacers couldn't sort.

This is my thought. A 150 stem with highrise bars, set at my preferred angle would be about the same reach as mine is now, which doesnt eliminate my problem as such.

Im debating a 150x35 instead of a 150x30, and using some mid rise bars like carbon rockbars or Viz pro720s.

• Like 1

150 x 35* vs 30* equates to a 15mm higher bar height (at the stem's bar clamp) going by my maths, that's more than likely wrong :giggle: depends on how you like your bar angle as far as reach and height goes, the tt's don't have much more rise than the elites but the sweep difference will change the bar angle. tried some sport risers in a 165mm stem?

only reason i was considering a 150 stem and tt highrise was down to wanting a sloping stem and no-one makes a 165 version.

This is my thought. A 150 stem with highrise bars, set at my preferred angle would be about the same reach as mine is now, which doesnt eliminate my problem as such.

Im debating a 150x35 instead of a 150x30, and using some mid rise bars like carbon rockbars or Viz pro720s.

ive both 150x30 and 150x35 here, you do notice the diference dude. the 150x30 and 165x35 felt almost same to me for some reason length wise, the 150x35 seems in the midle not as long but height is nice still, ask any girl 15mm can make all the diference lol. shame your not near me you could try my stems see what you think as i had all this when i got my 24 and endid up spending loads on diferent stems to find my happy spot

ive both 150x30 and 150x35 here, you do notice the diference dude. the 150x30 and 165x35 felt almost same to me for some reason length wise, the 150x35 seems in the midle not as long but height is nice still, ask any girl 15mm can make all the diference lol. shame your not near me you could try my stems see what you think as i had all this when i got my 24 and endid up spending loads on diferent stems to find my happy spot

So the 150x35* felt nicer overall?

Edited by Echo Lite 09

So the 150x35* felt nicer overall?

yeah i tried the 150x30 and then the 35 back to back, diference was noticeable. shorter so easy to get up to rear but high enuf to not feel poop. ive got an as new one here you can have cheap or try if you pay postage both ways if it helps dude.

yeah i tried the 150x30 and then the 35 back to back, diference was noticeable. shorter so easy to get up to rear but high enuf to not feel poop. ive got an as new one here you can have cheap or try if you pay postage both ways if it helps dude.

Im ordering a load of stuff over christmas so a stem will be thrown in, but cheers for the offer dude. I'll go for a 150x35

Trialtech sport bars? Same amount of upsweep and backsweep. Also feel really nice swept back on my stock, I usually run my bars so that the backsweep becomes upsweep. But now I run them so backsweep is back, I see what Ali c mean, feels so nice to manoeuvre.

• Like 1

I had them on with the 165 stem when I first built it, and the reach was far too long with the rise.

Haven't tried them with the 150x30, but then I'd assume the high rise would make it equivalent to my low rise try-alls in the 165, or would I be wrong?

What did you think of my set up last time you rode it.

165x35 stem with t-tech highrise bars seem to be the ones for me,

sack the 24 n go stock ;-)

Wash your mouth out boyo ;)

Well find your motivation, you have me coming after you again now!

Mr. Wood! Been a while! Seen you about on here recently, got a cycle to hop on? What you riding?

I'm sure I'll be more motivated after winter. Its always this time of year when it takes a dive. Will get plenty of shiny new things on the bike over christmas, usually re-sparks my motivation to ride :P

Mr. Wood! Been a while! Seen you about on here recently, got a cycle to hop on? What you riding?

I'm sure I'll be more motivated after winter. Its always this time of year when it takes a dive. Will get plenty of shiny new things on the bike over christmas, usually re-sparks my motivation to ride :P

Blame your brother, I had a hop on his bicycle few weeks back and got stung with the bug again.

I've got myself something sorted don't worry.