Oil Stains On Driveway

bikeperson45

Plain warm water, rag and a scrubbing brush will do the job to a certain extent as i was in the same situation as you when i spilt oil all over out patio. As long as the oil was clean and not dirty eg the old oil out of the brake, it will come out as it isn't so much the oil that stains its the crap in it.

I'm not convinced that will work. Never heard of salt being used to break up oil (otherwise oil slicks in the sea would be self cleaning...).

Ah yes but salt water doesn't mix with oil!

I have no clue about what salt does or does not do to oil though.

Oil slicks in the sea ARE self cleaning, thats the problem... it causes all the oil to seperate and then float, leaving a skin rather than oil in the water, its this that then suffocates most animals... Get it wet dude, chuck a load of salt on it then leave it for a few hours or for the rain! If that doesn't work - get a can of spray degreaser...

Oil slicks in the sea ARE self cleaning, thats the problem... it causes all the oil to seperate and then float, leaving a skin rather than oil in the water

But by that logic pure water would clean oil since oil floats on water, salty or not. Making the driveway wet will move a small amount of oil but because it will have been absorbed into the paving to a degree it needs something stronger than water (or salt) I'd have thought.