Dinosaurs

Revolver

http://www.wimp.com/dinosaursback/

If we can bring dinosaurs back, should we?

I think there would be ethical considerations. For example - if you resurrect a raptor, it might kill you. But equally, a lion, a tiger, a bear can kill you, so why not?

You could argue that something like a dodo, that we drove extinct, should be brought back, but then why stop there?

Discussion!

I think we should. Why not, as long as it's all contained and stuff it's fine.

When religious people use the playing god argument it seems pointless to people who are atheists, if they don't believe in god then their moral guidelines are based purely on what they've learnt on society, so pushing over an old lady is a horrible thing to do but making a dinosaur is fine.

I think we should do it.

How exactly could they bring back a dino though? I understand the mammoth since the DNA can be placed in the mother elephant as an embryo but what would it be put in for a dino? A chicken?

EDIT: Just realised a reptile would probably do.. :$

Edited by Danny00135

The idea behind Jurassic Park was fine, where they went wrong was the selection of species to bring back. Don't see any point in bringing back dangerous dinosaurs or ones which can fly and cannot be contained on an island for instance.

As for playing god, f**k it. If people really believe in a supernatural being then they probably don't believe in dinosaurs right?

• Like 2

The idea behind Jurassic Park was fine, where they went wrong was the selection of species to bring back. Don't see any point in bringing back dangerous dinosaurs or ones which can fly and cannot be contained on an island for instance.

Why would you bring back dinosaurs and introduce them to the wild? I would've thought ressurecting a dinosaur would purely be for scientific data. I wonder if something grown in a lab would have awareness or conciousness, else it would just be like a organic robot.

As for playing god, f**k it. If people really believe in a supernatural being then they probably don't believe in dinosaurs right?

Come on now, did you not read the bit in the bible where god created dinosaurs (and he saw they were good) and ruled the earth for like 100 million years? Oh, wait...

• Like 1

I'm cool with the idea as long as it doesn't drain any natural resources (I would imagine a large heard of herbivorous dinosaurs would need a lot of food and space to live). Would be interesting to see what Christians would make of it all.

• Like 1

I'm not convinced why you'd want to. Same with the Mammoth really- what's the purpose apart from to prove we can? In my mind it's not about playing god but about reversing what nature intended, evolution etc. I think if you can prolong the timeline of an already existing endangered species (polar bears, tigers, whatever) then that's all good but bringing back the dodo, a mammoth or raptor just seems to be pointless. I'd rather see the funding going towards stem cell research or curing debilitating illnesses rather than reintroducing long lost species to the world that has no place for them anymore.

• Like 2