Trials And Freeride

AnthonyNuttall

Hi boys and girls,

recently when out riding this year i have had a lot of young kids shouting to do different moves that i would consider dirt jumping, freeriding or BMX,

and looking on youtube and other video posting sites i have found this " Danny Mcaskill" being listed under trials.

And yet watching every video he is in i have yet to see any "trials" riding it is all freeriding,

can anyone let me know why this has happened to the art of trials.

180ing off a drop isn't trials, coasting along on your rear wheel isn't trials, or even a "tail whip" these things are all part of BMX and freeriding,

thanx for reading,

Anthony

was out of it for a decade.... what i would have called trials then is pretty much street nowadays with a bit more of a bmx infulence, tgs was what i called compy stuff and i have no idea where your comming from with freeride wouldn't have considered it to be anything like trials its way closer to dh.

Define trials:

Negotiating objects on a bike.

Ok, so manuals and 180 drops are covered by that, so that's your point made invalid.

Next?

trials is about getting over and round obstacle course's in the shortest time with out putting ur foot down,

now doing a 180 of a 10ft rock takes longer and runs much more of a risk of putting ur foot down,

so no 180's coasting etc are NOT part of trials,

trials is about getting over and round obstacle course's in the shortest time with out putting ur foot down,

now doing a 180 of a 10ft rock takes longer and runs much more of a risk of putting ur foot down,

so no 180's coasting etc are NOT part of trials,

Yep, you're right. That's that over. I'll contact all the street riders and let them know and we can go back to the good old trials days....

• Like 2

good then i can stop having people thinking BMX is trials, i hate it,

I know, I know - terrible isn't it. Well as I said, you don't need to worry any more, i'll sort it. I really do hate the massive generalisation of riding, clearly the only way for any form of riding to prosper is through clear, distinct guidelines that allow no flexibility, that coherently categorise you down to a very specific point. I think defining a rider to such a degree can only promote a healthy attitude and understanding of what they're doing, as I think the cross-over of genres will restrict the sport. By keeping the community, small, categorised and unsympathetic to others will help trials grow in to the sport it so desperately needs to be.

P.S. I actually think the reverse of that you stupid, stupid man.

Edited by Matthew62
  • Like 3

Oh please.

Trials has evolved! If your that wound up because someone asked if you could do 180's, or perhaps another "bmxy" type trick on your trials bike, your a little pathetic if Im honest.

Get over the fact that its now a more diverse sport than it was a few years ago, which is certainly a good thing.

I know, I know - terrible isn't it. Well as I said, you don't need to worry any more, i'll sort it. I really do hate the massive generalisation of riding, clearly the only way for any form of riding to prosper is through clear, distinct guidelines that allow no flexibility, that coherently categorise you down to a very specific point. I think defining a rider to such a degree can only promote a healthy attitude and understanding of what they're doing, as I think the cross-over of genres will restrict the sport. By keeping the community, small, categorised and unsympathetic to others will help trials grow in to the sport it's being so desperately needs to be.

P.S. I actually think the reverse of that you stupid, stupid man.

now no need for sarcasm, but seeing 2 different sports being combined say oh javelin and golf, or pool and moto cross, sorry but it does not work like that, trials a very specific sport it is slow precise,

Oh please.

Trials has evolved! If your that wound up because someone asked if you could do 180's, or perhaps another "bmxy" type trick on your trials bike, your a little pathetic if Im honest.

Get over the fact that its now a more diverse sport than it was a few years ago, which is certainly a good thing.

no its not pathetic im sorry but iv been riding trials since it first started, i love the sport, and im sick of people bastardizing the sport,

It sort of is pathetic...

It's still trials, just there's different ways of riding it now.

Forgive some of the publics lack of knowledge, humor them and explain to them, politely, about how what your doing is a different way of riding trials.

I do almost every time I'm out riding. Its good that people are showing an interest.

now no need for sarcasm, but seeing 2 different sports being combined say oh javelin and golf, or pool and moto cross, sorry but it does not work like that, trials a very specific sport it is slow precise,

no its not pathetic im sorry but iv been riding trials since it first started, i love the sport, and im sick of people bastardizing the sport,

Why is sarcasm so frowned upon? I enjoy it - deal with it. You feel there's no need for sarcasm, I personally feel there's absolutely no need for bullshit, and yet here you are.

You love the sport? You're implying those who choose to be, let's say a touch more adventurous don't? Let's all cut the crap - you're ignorant. People aren't bastardising the sport, what a grade-A stupid thing to even think, let alone say. Are you narrow minded in general, as that might go some way to explaining your point of view.

Crank your mind open a bit, let people do what they want and enjoy, and perhaps everyone can have just a little bit of fun along the way. If progression, change and so on make you so sick, I guess you've no option but to move to Spain, get an old shitty (but very BMX looking) old trials bike with triple clamp forks and go and hop around the rocks in lycra and a motorbike helmet.

Why is sarcasm so frowned upon? I enjoy it - deal with it. You feel there's no need for sarcasm, I personally feel there's absolutely no need for bullshit, and yet here you are.

You love the sport? You're implying those who choose to be, let's say a touch more adventurous don't? Let's all cut the crap - you're ignorant. People aren't bastardising the sport, what a grade-A stupid thing to even think, let alone say. Are you narrow minded in general, as that might go some way to explaining your point of view.

Crank your mind open a bit, let people do what they want and enjoy, and perhaps everyone can have just a little bit of fun along the way. If progression, change and so on make you so sick, I guess you've no option but to move to Spain, get an old shitty (but very BMX looking) old trials bike with triple clamp forks and go and hop around the rocks in lycra and a motorbike helmet.

iv never said for anyone to stop riding like that, its good and i enjoy watching it,

i just want them to stop saying it is trials its freeriding or street riding, it is not trials, it is a different sport,

Don't forget the Martyins, Rey, Akkers, Tongue etc.

I assume you had your eyes shut while watching Danny's videos? There's no other way you could have missed the sidehops, gaps, hooks, backwheeling, up to fronts he does in his videos.

• Like 1

Oh please.

You deserve a medal!! :D

• Like 1