Things You Wish Manufacturers Would Make

bing

Maggy mounts are usually stripped when people tighten the bolts too hard ?

you can't argue that is it is very easy to strip a thread on a modern trials frame, due to the quality of the metal. you don't even have to tighten the bolt down that hard, regardless of the level of retardation. just sayin like

you can't argue that is it is very easy to strip a thread on a modern trials frame, due to the quality of the metal. you don't even have to tighten the bolt down that hard, regardless of the level of retardation. just sayin like

50 or 100 additional grams are F#@$ING CRAZY SHIT that cause heart attack to weightwinners.

If you stripped thread in your frame - it's not a big problem.

f867498e8c9d.jpg

Edited by clerictgm

I'd take a small unnoticeable weight gain, for the longevity of my frame any day. if you can notice 50-100grams of weight, which is a medium size bag of crisps, on your bike, I'll show my arse in tesco's window. go and weigh 4 helicoil inserts, bet it's not even that much

Edited by bing

I'd take a small unnoticeable weight gain, for the longevity of my frame any day. if you can notice 50-100grams of weight, which is a medium size bag of crisps, on your bike, I'll show my arse in tesco's window. go and weigh 4 helicoil inserts, bet it's not even that much

I'm not a weightwinner, but I can notice 100 gramms on my 11kg street bike if they are added/removed on rear or front (setting lighter tyre for example).

50 or 100 additional grams are F#@$ING CRAZY SHIT that cause heart attack to weightwinners.

If you stripped thread in your frame - it's not a big problem.

Random picture of frame....

Anyway I've just stripped my echo the other day just from having a very tempermental clamp set up that the slaves move in unless being extremely tight , and echo don't really have the best threads I've come across

Also I wish more frames were made like the onza limey (original green and white one)

Because the underside of the magura mounts are square, if you do accidentally strip the threads you can run extra long bolts and run a nut on the flat side of the frame, genius design.

Anyway I've just stripped my echo the other day just from having a very tempermental clamp set up that the slaves move in unless being extremely tight , and echo don't really have the best threads I've come across

there we have it in a nutshell. my echo was the same.

• Like 1

I'm not saying everybody is a Mong, just thought steel inserts would be a good idea from the manufacturer, and presented my reasons why. that was the idea why I created this thread.

back to it, rims with a cnc'd sidewall so you don't have to attack them with a grinder straight away

Edited by bing
  • Like 1

Isnt the answer easy to this?

Threads strip when "over tightened", generally because theyres no grease on there (in most cases)

The increased friction from dry fitting the bolt increases this risk, because as the bolt tightens, and starts to pull against the threads, the lack

of lubrication tries to turn the frames threads, being a softer metal, with the steel bolt. Voila, you have a stripped thread.

I know this. I almost stripped my 24"s threads (brand new). Applied some lithium grease to the frames threads, and tried again.

Result; I can now torque down my clamps further than before, with very little fiction induced resistance. No stripped threads,

tight clamps, reliable brake.

Applied it to all my bolts on my bike now. Everything's nice and tight, no creaking, nothing coming loose or shifting, lower chance of stripping the threads.

Win win.

Not a fan of the idea that companies should fit steel coils as standard.

Frames are not the cheapest things as it is. Adding another process would only drive up the price.

And if you pull out that coil, your forced to go to a larger thread. Having aluminium threads, means that if you strip them, you have another shot at running an M5 thread through helicoiling it.

Edited by Echo Lite 09
  • Like 4

as most frames have the mounts welded on, and are probably outsourced to be made in the first place, surely it wouldn't take much to press and bond in a steel thread insert. then weld the brake mount on. I'm with you Sam on the 24" tyres thing, try all would clean up in that market. dmr's are too floppy, and puncture very easily. maxxis are far too heavy, as I found out with my 2.7 high roller

It's not a random picture of a frame, threads are stripped and problem solved by this:

post-30941-0-13419100-1348474780_thumb.j

as most frames have the mounts welded on, and are probably outsourced to be made in the first place, surely it wouldn't take much to press and bond in a steel thread insert. then weld the brake mount on. I'm with you Sam on the 24" tyres thing, try all would clean up in that market. dmr's are too floppy, and puncture very easily. maxxis are far too heavy, as I found out with my 2.7 high roller

Doubt theyre outsourced. Other wise we'd see a wide majority of frames with identical mounts.

My Echo's mounts are cnc'd to match the style of other cnc'd areas of the frame.

Have a search on google for a "one way roller bearing" they can only spin one way and have "unlimited" engagements. I just think someone should make a freewheel like that. People have already made hubs like that but they are pretty heavy and expensive.

check a few pages back lad. someone beat you to it. try again lol