Things You Wish Manufacturers Would Make

bing

A new freewheel with higher engagement points like say the highest known atm is 108.9 can you imagine the extra power outlet on a 120.9. it would be immense. They could also invent/produce stronger pistons for hydraulic brakes to add to the braking power would be great!.

it would effectively be a 120.10, as the 9 refers to the number of pawls. eg 1 pawl every 12 teeth, therefore 9 x 12 = 108. so the viz will have 10 pawls, and 120 teeth. freewheels are usually in multiples of 12, ie tensile 60 and 96 click, viz 72, echo 108, rockman 108.

Edited by bing
  • Like 2

so two sets of 3 and one set of 4 then? haha

personaly id rather see more pawls engaging at one time rather than more engagments, my pro 2 trials feels more solid than my echo 108 if that makes sence?

no, not really. the freewheel is 120 click, so there will be 10 pawls, engaging every 12 teeth. that gives you the 120 click.

Luke, 9 doesn't multiply onto 120. it wouldn't work, there wouldn't be even engagements. chances are one pawl would be in the wrong place

Edited by bing

no, not really. the freewheel is 120 click, so there will be 10 pawls, engaging every 12 teeth. that gives you the 120 click.

Luke, 9 doesn't multiply onto 120. it wouldn't work, there wouldn't be even engagements. chances are one pawl would be in the wrong place

It doesnt work like that. 3 pawls engage at the same time to help spread the load.

What they said. If all 10 panels engaged at once you'd need much smaller teeth on the ratchet ring to give 120 EP which is going to give much less solid engagement and be skipping left right and centre. Not ideal.

9 pawls gives 3 sets of 3, which divides beautifully into 120 giving a 40 tooth ratchet ring. Slightly smaller teeth than the 109, which is a minor trade off for the minor advantage of a few EPs.

It doesnt work like that. 3 pawls engage at the same time to help spread the load.

ok, I'll bow down to your superior knowledge in this one. didnt think of it like that. yeah, luke you are right, thinking a little more about it. dan cox, go finger your bum. don't listen to me, I'm just a silly old man

Edited by bing

20mm bolt though urbans would be ace

http://www.truepreci...s/mtb-rear-hub/

a fw version of this too.

seen a bearing version (guessing thats the same as what the hubs running) no teeth no noise just instant engagement.

edit: a pic of the bearings internals..... witchcraft!

onewaybearingspraguedetail_700.jpg

Edited by trials hoe
  • Like 1

yeah,explain us that precisely.

i dont think ---gear ratio x ep does it.

I saw you deleted your part about movement, but that's what i wanted to try and explain.

With ffw, as soon as you pedalkick and the freewheel engages, your off. so the engagement you get is exactly what the freewheel provides.

With a freehub, when you pedalkick, the movement goes through the front cog, down your chain, to your rear cog, then the hub engages. So the movement from your feet is changed from the gear ratio you're running.

Does that help?

i totally understand the scheme.and i know about the technical things behind it.mathematic its right,18/12 is1.38 ratio,means one turn of the crank turns the cog 1.38 times.

but i counted physically and the clicks per crank turn i hear match the ep of my hope,but should be 1.38 more ep,if youre right.

Edited by FamilyBiker

shouldnt write here after a few beers.

forget what i said

but that doesnt explain how the clicks per crank turn match the ep...

edit:i counted that before drinking,therefore i am sure.

think i´m out till i´m sober,octoberfest here... :dance:

Edited by FamilyBiker