Need Help In Making A Spoke Tensioner!

bryan96

Hey all, so I've recently been breaking more tensioners than I have in my 4 years of riding, and I'm tired of spending money to constantly buy new ones. So, I tried to build a spoke tensioner using the Tarty crew's method. However my chain has constantly been skipping off the sprocket and into the spacers. I've also tried 'caging' the chain by hooking the spoke around it, but it also pushes the chain off the sprocket.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? This problem has really been frustrating me lately. Any help (hopefully a video tutorial, if anyone is kind enough to make one :P) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S I'm using a 2010 Fourplay frame, if that make a difference.

Sorry for the late reply guys, here's a picture of my current setup:

And I'm not sure where I could hook the spoke unto, because from what i see from the Tarty crew's photos, they seemed to hook unto the axle just beside the freehub body, but in my case there are spacers(?) there. Is there any other place to hook the spoke around besides the hanger bolt or the freehub body? The chainline seems pretty damn straight too, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.

post-24468-0-40914500-1347960393_thumb.j

post-24468-0-89541100-1347960164_thumb.j

id say by the way your making it, it looks like it's pulling the chain down and away from your sprocket. if that makes sence?

start at the part that contacts with the chain and work your way back checking after every bend, tedious work with plyers but worth it in the end.

a pic of one of my efforts -

img20120802164010.jpg

This is my method but I don't have a pro2.....

599244_10150872041351426_655652887_n.jpg

197764_10150872042166426_987621432_n.jpg

It helps if you put a few kinks in the spoke so it sits nicely in the chain and doesn't pull away from it.

If you were going to carry on using the wrap around that bolt method I would suggest wrapping it around a few more times then making it so the spoke sits flat on the chain rather than wrapping it around the chain in a loop.

• Like 1

I can see one problem and that´s your chain being too long, try to take one link out and it should make it easier for the tensioner too.

Today I took out a link in the chain, and initially it was so tight that I could barely pedal. So I loosened the bolt slightly, and the tension was just perfect. Do I need to be worried about: (i) The entire wheel coming loose because of the not-fully-tightened bolt?

(ii) The chain and sprocket wearing exceptionally quickly?

(iii) Damaging the dropouts?

Today I took out a link in the chain, and initially it was so tight that I could barely pedal. So I loosened the bolt slightly, and the tension was just perfect. Do I need to be worried about: (i) The entire wheel coming loose because of the not-fully-tightened bolt?Could happen if you slam wheel to the wall hard and at wrong angle.But if it is reasonably tight,you should be fine. (ii) The chain and sprocket wearing exceptionally quickly?Chain will stretch after few hours/days of riding(even the strongest chain does stretch,it´s only matter of time), when it happens,you will be able to tighten the bolts normally.

(iii) Damaging the dropouts?I would say no,this isn´t a problem.

put a half link in. then you are only less than half a link too long, and a spoke tensioner will work. I ran 18 /13 on my old inspired with a spoke tensioner and it was fine. use the whole above the mech hanger as your start point. go twice round the axle of you can, best to go to a bike shop and ask for a road bike spoke