Laptop/ Internet Issue

crashbanggg

My brother got his new laptop yesterday, and it quite happily connected and worked on the internet. However, today, it wont connect to the internet and says 'Limited access' on the list of connections (When the internet icon on the tool bar is clicked). We've tried resetting the router, but that's about as far as my computer aptitude goes... so what else can be done?

Possibly a long shot but try turning off the WiFi connection on any phones connected to the router. My Sony laptop will do exactly what you describe if either my wife or I's HTC's are connected to the WiFi before I turn the laptop on. Very odd... Would be interested to find out if yours is similar! Once the phones are disconnected you may need to 'repair' the laptop connection or restart the router but that usually works for me.

That hasn't worked :ermm: I just 'Diagnosed' the network connection status and it would appear to be a driver issue 'The wireless network adapter is experiencing problems' , so does that mean I need to find the driver online on my laptop, then stick it on a memory stick and install it on his laptop? (We've also tried plugging the laptop directly into the router via Ethernet to no avail)

That hasn't worked :ermm: I just 'Diagnosed' the network connection status and it would appear to be a driver issue 'The wireless network adapter is experiencing problems' , so does that mean I need to find the driver online on my laptop, then stick it on a memory stick and install it on his laptop? (We've also tried plugging the laptop directly into the router via Ethernet to no avail)

Might not be the laptop then? Can you get hold of another laptop to test your router with?

Or even a ps3 or mobile phone?

Is there any software on the laptop which handles your Internet connection, this could also be the problem.

How many devices do you have attached at any one time? If you disconnect everything, connect the laptop and then phones, ps3 etc will eventually one fail to connect regardless of what the device is?

Initially it sounds like a veeeery small DHCP range set on the router - maybe?

Also, how far does it get when connecting to the router? It is just like it cannot resolve an ip address?

Could so try sticking the laptop on a fixed up address, 192.168.1.254 or something well out the normal range and see if that works - it'll rule out the narrow DHCP scope anyways.

Might not be the laptop then? Can you get hold of another laptop to test your router with?

Or even a ps3 or mobile phone?

Is there any software on the laptop which handles your Internet connection, this could also be the problem.

It works quite happily with other Laptops/phones ect, as for software, and I think the only internet related program is McAfee. Router wise, im not sure, all I know is that where it would say 'Connected' on a working connection, it just says 'limited access'... is that what you mean by 'how far does it get when connecting to the router'?

It just seems bizarre that it worked fine the first night, then nothing next time it was turned on, not even through a wired connection. Tomorrow il try taking the laptop round to a mates house and see if it works there, then il try the fixed up address thing (Though god knows how you go about doing that :P )