50Mph Bus

CalRobbo341

What he means is if he has a toy helicopter hovering in a stationary car and then the car pulls away, the helicopter will appear to the occupants to travel to the rear of the car and hit the rear window.

That's not same as you jumping vertically upwards while on a bus travelling at 50mph. If you jumped vertically upwards in a stationary bus, just as it pulls away, yes you would land further down the bus because you were both initially at rest and while you were in the air the bus moved relative to you.

• Like 1

That's the hardest thing to understand I have ever read. So a helicopter takes off and it crashes into the rear of a car? Why are there traffic lights? If you jump on a bus you land where you jumped. If you jumped on the roof of a train as many actors do in movies, you'd probably land further down the train because the winds pushes you. That wind is absent in a bus.

I was trying to say does jumping up whilst stationary make any difference; if I jump up while it's still and it starts moving when i'm in the air?

also are the results different between me and the R/C helicopter because I can't hover?

That's not same as you jumping vertically upwards while on a bus travelling at 50mph.

So if I take off an R/C helicopter on a bus travelling at 50mph it will stay still as well? or were you saying there's a difference between me and the helicopter because it can use it's energy to hover?

Yeah, it took me a while. I think he means he's piloting a remote-control helicopter inside a vehicle (say, a bus). The helicopter is hovering inside the bus, and when the bus moves forward, the helicopter goes backwards relative to the bus and smashes through the window. But that happens because there's no force being applied to the helicopter (I guess there might be a very small air pressure effect). Whereas if you are on a train going at 90m/s, you've already got that forwards momentum, so when you jump in the air you don't suddenly lose it.

But does it take off? The helicopter on a bus, I mean.

The helicopter in the travelling bus will appear to hover in the same place since it will have started with the same 50mph forward speed when it took off. There is nothing trying to slow it down (imagine if the bus didn't have a windscreen then the air entering the bus would act to move the helicopter towards the rear of the bus) so it continues at 50mph inside the bus and it's position along the bus would remain fixed.

• Like 1

The helicopter in the travelling bus will appear to hover in the same place since it will have started with the same 50mph forward speed when it took off. There is nothing trying to slow it down (imagine if the bus didn't have a windscreen then the air entering the bus would act to move the helicopter towards the rear of the bus) so it continues at 50mph inside the bus and it's position along the bus would remain fixed.

Thanks Dr Dave, I'm no longer confused :D

The real question is, is the plane really a plane, or just a construct formed by a malevolent controlling force?

Nah the dude in Matrix knew the score,

Because you have to wonder: how do the machines know what Tasty Wheat tasted like? Maybe they got it wrong. Maybe what I think Tasty Wheat tasted like actually tasted like oatmeal, or tuna fish. That makes you wonder about a lot of things. You take chicken, for example: maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like, which is why chicken tastes like everything.