50Mph Bus

CalRobbo341

And a bit of a random one - Of I am standing right at the front of the bus, on the inside, and say it's going like 50mph, and I jump what will happen to me, will I like fly towards the rear end of the bus, or because I am moving on the bus will I just move a tad?

Cheers!

EDIT - Sorry if I got the incorrect affect/effect

If you jump on a moving bus you're effectively jumping diagonally, that's your jump + the movement of the bus. generally, air resistance slows you downut inside a bus the air is being moved too, by the walls of the bus so I don't think you'd even move any. Maybe on an open top bus.

Edited by tomturd
  • Like 1

You wouldn't really move anywhere as you're traveling at the same velocity as the bus when you jumped (not taking into account different variables and air resistance and assuming you jumped vertically). If you were to jump then the bus either sped up or slowed down then you would land in a different position.

Edited by SunnyBoy

if you were in a lift and it was falling down fast and you jumped just before it hit the ground would you survive... ?

No, because you're still travelling at the same velocity as the lift when you jump. A tiny upwards acceleration from jumping would be pretty insignificant and would mean you're still heading towards the ground a decent rate.

Consider that the Earth is spinning at several hundred metres per second. When you jump from a solid platform up in the air (for a second, say), you don't end up hundreds of metres from where you started, do you (Though that would be cool)? It's all relative.

• Like 3

Consider that the Earth is spinning at several hundred metres per second. When you jump from a solid platform up in the air (for a second, say), you don't end up hundreds of metres from where you started, do you (Though that would be cool)? It's all relative.

That's how I got to Spain for cheap.

• Like 8

Well, you do, it's just that the earth has moved beneath you at the same rate. Relative to someone watching you from a fixed point in space you would've moved by hundreds of metres relative to your starting point.

The real question is.... If you are traveling on a bus at 50mph and you fire a proton in front of you at almost the speed of light will it travel faster than light?

Nope.

Well, you do, it's just that the earth has moved beneath you at the same rate. Relative to someone watching you from a fixed point in space you would've moved by hundreds of metres relative to your starting point.

Nope.

Ok here's a thought. You're on a bus doing 50mph and you run 5mph towards the front so your total speed would be 55mph right?

The Large Hadron Collider fires a particle at almost the speed of light. The earth orbits the sun at about 66600mph. Could you not add those two speeds together too? Anyone care to explain? In my mind you can add those two speeds but I think Einstein wouldn't be too happy with that one.

Am I missing something blatantly obvious here?

Ok here's a thought. You're on a bus doing 50mph and you run 5mph towards the front so your total speed would be 55mph right?

The Large Hadron Collider fires a particle at almost the speed of light. The earth orbits the sun at about 66600mph. Could you not add those two speeds together too? Anyone care to explain? In my mind you can add those two speeds but I think Einstein wouldn't be too happy with that one.

Surely it's all relative? The earth spins at about 1000mph, so if you drive a car at 140mph in the same direction as the spin would you tell all your mates you managed 1140mph? If you did it in the opposite direction are you actually just slowing yourself down? Nah, it's all relative to your surroundings. That's my thoughts anyway, based on nothing scientific.

You could if you were say.. on the moon. I reckon.

• Like 1

Nope, you're not missing anything obvious at all. The thing to realise is that at the extreme orders of magnitude (tiny/huge, super fast etc) that things don't necessarily behave in the same ways as the things we can easily observe. Quantum physics doesn't really make sense if you're only used to dealing in classical physics and equations of motion etc.

I don't really understand it enough to explain it well.

For the long explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation

Edit: I found this YouTube video which sort of helps. If you can get your head around it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DC2VMO7pcWhg&v=C2VMO7pcWhg&gl=GB

I'm now confused: If i take off a remote control helicopter at traffic lights while stationary, as I pull forward the car will travel around it and the helicopter will end up shattering the back window right? And it would be the same if i did it at 50mph, correct? Theoretically, my body is performing the same action as the helicopter if i jump on the bus, because I'm using energy to travel directly upwards as well. So why do I not travel? Is it because the helicopter can use it's energy whilst in the air to maintain the same position, whereas I fall back to the ground?

That's the hardest thing to understand I have ever read. So a helicopter takes off and it crashes into the rear of a car? Why are there traffic lights? If you jump on a bus you land where you jumped. If you jumped on the roof of a train as many actors do in movies, you'd probably land further down the train because the winds pushes you. That wind is absent in a bus.