Urgent Spoke Tensioner Help Required!

isitafox

Hmm, will have to have a proper look into this. Due to the chainline the spoke needs to bend about 20mm away from the dropout to be in line which is currently making it a pain in the arse.

Anyone who runs a Pro2 with a spoke tensioner please post a few detailed pics??

Need to move the sprocket further out (measure the chain line from the centreline of the bike - probably gonna be about 47-50mm), also the spoke tensioner ideally needs at least 2 coils, so you will need a spacer between the hub and frame. Makes getting the wheel in a bit of a squeeze but it's worth it ;)

Nice one, all this rushing could be pointless now however as I've just realised I need a different adaptor for my BB7 (schoolboy error) by tomorrow.

Anything that can possibly go wrong for me generally does! :

• Like 1

Front or rear?

I know they don't allow brakeless riding but you could maybe get away with just the rear brake?

Rear

which adaptor do you need and why not just run a normal tensioner?

Need a rear 165mm Avid adaptor before tomorrow afternoon, would run a normal tensioner but can't afford to buy one and again I need it by tomorrow!

Just ordered an adaptor from chainreaction so hopefully that'll be here in the mornings post with any luck!

Need to move the sprocket further out (measure the chain line from the centreline of the bike - probably gonna be about 47-50mm), also the spoke tensioner ideally needs at least 2 coils, so you will need a spacer between the hub and frame. Makes getting the wheel in a bit of a squeeze but it's worth it ;)

Also had a measure up and the sprocket is about bang on inline with the one on the cranks. Will try and get a spacer sorted after work and worst case drill and tap my 185 adaptor to work with the 185 disc fitted.

Not quite done yet, need to get front brake lever, sort rear adaptor and connect them both up and I'm awaiting a black seat off JD that I've swapped for my white one. Hopefully be here tomorrow at the latest then I'll get a pic of it finished!

• 7 months later...

Sacked it off in the end as I couldn't get it to work properly.

I used a washer originally inside the dropout to space the hub enough to wrap a spoke around, somehow this managed to stay on at Fort William in the most horrendous conditions but broke shortly after when I swapped to a 74kingz. Didn't feel very confident after snapping the spring so in the end I switched to running 22-15 and filed the dropout so I don't need a tensioner anymore.

I reckon the spoke would have worked if I'd used a 26 or maybe even 29 inch spoke to get the extra wrap around the hub spacer.

I used a spoke tensioner around my axle on my Pro 2 - it rubbed the lockring a little but nothing major. If you're pretty careful with how you make the 'S' part of it you can get it to line up with your chain and still hold itself away from the freehub body/lockring.

That was with a 268mm spoke.