Help Me Diy My Deck.

JT!

We have a very small deck outside our house which needs repainting within 2 weeks.

Because we have dogs most of the paint has chipped away on the walking part of it and the steps. There's about 1/10th of the paint actually left on there.

Should I repaint over the top of the old paint? Get rid of what's left of the paint and stain it? If so how would I get rid of the old paint?

I'm really looking for something that will last, trying to avoid having to redo it often.

I'm thinking stain would be the best way to go as it's not going to 'chip-off' like the paint did?

I'm such a DIY noob any help would be great, but please remember I don't have access to hundreds of pounds worth of tools or have any real expertise.

If you are going to re-paint it sanding the deck in the affected areas back to the wood might be a good idea. That would stop the paint from flaking off straight away.

Staining the wood might be a better option - but you might want to re-stain it every year or so to protect the wood from rot.

• Like 1

Now I just need to figure out how to get the old paint off. We do have a angle grinding tool laying about with one of these on it.

paint_stripper_paint_remover_remover.jpg

...but I think that would f**k up the wood.

I'd try a wire brush first (hand driven, if its already flaking off). If that doesn't work maybe use nitromors, leave it for 30 mins then powerwash it off. Then stain it or use 'decking oil'. If you do repaint it make sure its proper floor paint.

I'll attack it tomorrow with said suggestions. it doesn't look like it's going to scrape off too easy. Nitromors will be plan B.

Oh, i have one of those. A much cheaper small one. Didn't think that would do the job actually. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

Oh wow that didn't work... well it did but I would be getting though more than 100 sheets of sand paper and about 5 days of sanding.

Nitromors it is!

I know it will cost more but have you thought about simply re-boarding it? Our deck originally had plain boards and it was slippy nightmare fun when wet once a bit of weathering (green shit) kicked in. We re did it with that grooved decking board you can get and its much better.

In my expert 'used to be a gardener' having built a few decks opinion, i'd say just paint over it and be done with it. Nitromors will cost as much as the paint, take more than twice as long to do and if you just end up painting it anyway it won't make much difference.