Sad News In Hastings

MadManMike

I've typed this out a couple of times, whatever I write doesn't seem appropriate so I'll keep it short...

If any of you knew him, I just thought I'd let you know that Lee Chapman was involved in a fatal accident yesterday on his bike. He passed away at around 10:00am after a collision with a dustcart.

I used to ride with him a few years back, his riding was envied by everyone in the group, it's a huge loss. My best friend and also his riding buddy was unfortunate enough to witness the accident, which I can't even describe as it was just horrifyingly graphic. The only consolation is that it would have been instant and he wouldn't have suffered.

Rest in peace, Mr Chapman x

Sad news indeed. Without going into too much detail, is there anything that the rest of us could learn from what happened? Did the truck driver not see him or was he not able to stop in time for the junction?

Thoughts are with his family and friends.

I don't know exactly how it happened, I think it was a combination of him and the driver not paying enough attention. Also I think he was riding brakeless BMX, so at the last minute had no chance of stopping :(

He always did ride a little crazy, so I guess the lesson for all of us is be careful when you're on the road - I've certainly toned down how I ride now, all it takes is someone not looking and that's it, game over!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi There,

I'm new to this forum but was reading about this in my local paper recently as it happened right by my work. I was first informed of it when one of our customers popped in and had driven past the incident right after it had happened and confirmed the graphic nature you have mentioned.

My BIG worry is that I know there are more and more kids/teenagers riding these types of bikes not only without brakes but also no headwear and worse still (and this as happened more times than I can remember) but cycling erratically all over the road in the evening with no lights and no flourescent colours of any kind. I wonder if there should be something done about it as cyclist injuries/fatalities seem to be on the up and as a Father of 3 children (Boy of 13 and 2 Girls 4 and 18 Months) I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for a parent to hear that their child has been injured or worse in an accident like this!

I was thinking of getting some sort of petition signed to ensure that riders who like to have the thrill of jumping about etc at tracks still can do but don't put their lives in danger by doing it on public roads WITHOUT BRAKES, WITHOUT HEAR PROTECTION AND WITHOUT LIGHTS! as it is utter madness!

Just a final note to say my heartfelt thoughts go to Lee's family and also is riding buddy who witnessed the terrible ordeal. RIP

Cheers,

Gouldy77

sad news indeed, must have been horrible for the friends to have witnessed! I hope they can get over what they have seen and I give best wishes to friends and family.

With regards to Gouldy77 and without wanting to spark an argument, having rules to force people to have brakes and wear helmets would suck and be next to impossible to enforce. I ride brakeless quite a bit and it just wouldn't be practical to take a set of brakes with me to use when I decide to use a road to get where I am going. The reason a lot of riders cycle is because of the lack of rules and regulations, cycling is a form of freedom and the moment people are forced to obey rules it ruins the whole experience.

It sounds like a freak accident, as sad as they are they happen to a lot of people in all kinds of activities. It's not really a problem that needs to be fixed. It's like forcing people to wear helmets when running as you're more likely to trip and fall,

So yeah, not wanting to spark an argument or be disrespectful.

• Like 5

For Ali C,

Yes I do agree that of course cyclists should be given the option and of course you also correct the freedom is great. My point was more to do with the late night cycling with no lights weaving all over the road with no care and attention to on coming traffic who clearly can't see them coming.

It's these sorts of people that also cause accidents. I do believe that the incident in question although being a freak accident was still one that could of been avoided had a little more care and attention been paid!

No disrespect or argument created so don't worry, it's purely a discussion but also because I care a great deal for people's safety.

Cheers

Gouldy77

Sad news indeed, saw this on the local news. In response to the idea of rules, the highway code does state that cyclists over 12 years old have to ride on the roadway and MUST have lights to ride on the public highway during the hours of darkness and in poor visablity situations (although this is down to the rider's idea of 'poor visability').

Also there is also a section of the highway code which addresses dangerous cycling, it was introduced in the 1980s if I remember correctly, and states that anybody who rides a bicycle in a public area in a way which risks there own or anybody elses life or well-being is liable to being fined up to £100 depending on age and situation of course. This could, if you were to be pedantic include brakeless riders as they surely put there own well-being at risk whenever they ride from A-B, this is something the police used to nab the BMX-ers outside my old school for, which lead to them then running an unconnected rear leaver; just showing that those who want the freedom will try their hardest to get/keep it. Worringly the whole dangerous riding thing could affect anybody that rides street. I for one have been threatened with it on my high street when I was riding one evening by a very angry police woman and I have witnessed my friend being threatened with it for pulling a manual in a nearby town.

Wearing a helemet is currently only advisory, and although I agree that it would be a good idea to enforce the wearing of cycle helmets, I think it would be impossible, in practise, to enforce this.

Ultimately, there are rules regarding cycling saftey in the Highway Code but the basic fact is that many cyclists do not know them as they have never really been told to us. The advice is there for stuff like wearing a helmet and running working brakes but, as Ali has already said, those who really want to be able to ride how they like to always will find a way to or will just striaght up ignore the rules;for example how many people on this forum ride with a bell? but it is compulsory for adults to have one and for every bike sold in the UK to come equipped with one.

In my opinion the only way to cut down rider deaths on the road, of which i have been hearing to many reports of collisions involving motor veichles such as this recently, is for either the police to really focus on the rules for cyclists expressed in the highway code; which could have a detrimental effect on those of us who enjoy riding street; or for more advice to be given to people from childhood upwards, which would make clear the rules and give even more basic advice than people are provided with currently; especially as the roads are likely to see an increase in cyclist traffic in the future due to the extortionate fuel prices that are set to jsut contiune rising.

I don't think more controls are needed, I think people just need to be safer on the roads. I don't know exactly how this accident happened, but I do see a lot of people riding dangerously (In fairness, I have myself a few times!).

Gouldy - do you work at HiVac?

Hi Guys,

I accept and agree with the majority of what is written above and it's quite obvious that cyclist from a young age just aren't shown the proper highway code anymore! The evening bmx'ers that I see weaving over the road happens every week all over Hastings and it is quite common. There has also been over 100 fatalities in the UK from cycling accidents (I'm sure they're not all because of poor due care and attention)

I believe anyone who is of an age where they can make their own minds up as to where they cycle and whether or not they wear a helmet or use lights should maybe be shown some videos from what has happened to cyclists who have not been paying attention because the majority of riders and indeed rider's families don't realise just how dangerous it can be until it's too late.

No I don't work at Hi-Vac but just up the road. I did pop down to speak to a policewoman who was at the junction around 12pm to see if she knew when the road would re-open and the poor lads body was still there covered up.

Appreciate all the comments guys, I'm not one of these whinging old age people moaning about youth today but just a concerned parent who wouldn't like to get a phonecall or visit from the police informing me that one of my children were hurt or worse.

Cheers

Gouldy77

With regards to Gouldy77 and without wanting to spark an argument, having rules to force people to have brakes and wear helmets would suck and be next to impossible to enforce. I ride brakeless quite a bit and it just wouldn't be practical to take a set of brakes with me to use when I decide to use a road to get where I am going. The reason a lot of riders cycle is because of the lack of rules and regulations, cycling is a form of freedom and the moment people are forced to obey rules it ruins the whole experience.

I'm going to have to disagree with that. I get that cycling is about freedom but when it comes to riding brakeless on roads that crosses a line for me. I've seen quite a few times now where riders not having brakes are the ones at fault for accidents were if they were following the law and had brakes the accident could have been prevented. When it comes to riding near roads I think it's too much to trust everyone else using it to be able to react fast enough to a cyclist that can't stop.

Sad news though, thoughts go to all that knew him.

• 2 months later...

...or you could have a bit of respect for the guy and not come on here acting like a twat.

Not a very good way to introduce yourself, or give a first impression to people.

The only one "shouting your mouth" is you. Drop the attitude or don't bother coming back. This isn't the thread to be acting a dick in...

whatever you say! but you dont know me and you certainly didnt know my mate

That as may be, but despite you knowing him, your being far more disrespectful than anyone here.

No one has been disrespectful, if they had, someone would have piped up earlier.

Chill out, and accept the fact this is a forum and discussion surrounding how it may have happened and how it can be prevented is going to arise, naturally.

Sad to hear the news. Never good hearing this kind of thing.

Edited by Echo Lite 09